1.    #1  
    Branching off from another thread, Ebag pointed out that we should all do our part and voice our problems to palm.

In the mean time, I suggest you post about it on Palm's official blog. You can find it in two spots:

Post titled: The best Treo ever?
    http://blog.palm.com/palm/2008/07/the-best-treo-e.html

Post titled: Introducing the Sprint Treo 800w: GPS, Wi-Fi, WinMo 6.1, EVDO Rev A, and more!
    http://blog.palm.com/palm/2008/07/introducing-the.html

I *STRONGLY* encourage you guys to take 2 minutes and post up on the blog. Keep it professional, and polite. 99.9% of the time the squeaky wheel gets the grease, and if Palm doesn't see any complaints/feedback about the non-functioning stand alone GPS, they won't do anything about it. If they start getting feedback on it, guess what happens?

If you want to take the time, you can also call the above tech support numbers and ask them to log an issue to their engineering team.

The more times this is reported the better the chance of it getting fixed. I've done my part.
    Hopefully we all can make a difference and get our devices to work like it was originally planned. (IE GPS, speakerphone/earpiece, etc)

Just the little bit of effort we put in will hopefully make Palm aware of what needs to be fixed!

As Darth Pooh said
    Palm won't do a damn thing if we don't get vocal about it. They are trying to avoid a negative public image at any costs.
    Inside the 800w box was a survey card asking each new user to tell sprint what we think of the new device as well. I do not know if they share this information with Palm, but logic would indicate they probably do??

On the card, Sprint asks us to go to http://labs.sprint.com/sprintphonesurvey within 2 weeks of receiving the phone, and voice our opinion.

It can't hurt to voice opinions to both Palm and Sprint....
  3.    #3  
    Ah yes! I forgot about that slip tha came with the phone. Thanks!
    Hmm.....over 12 hours and my comments haven't been posted yet. Hopefully they're not censoring them, if they are I'm calling someone at Palm!

If it's not posted by tommorrow.....
    Bump. Palm posted up the comments (FINALLY). There's a nice wave of comments asking about the issues.

Guess what folks? Palm actually *READS* these. They might not respond directly, but they do read 'em. If you want Palm to hear your feedback....post up! (Links in the first post.)
    Global Posts
    146 Global Posts
    I posted this:

I'm new to Palm hardware, though have been using WM for 10 years. A few comments, in random order.

PRO
    - fast; hardware graphics acceleration is great!
    - GPS locks on quickly
    - good quality feel, fit & finish
    - lots of memory
    - good one-handed operation
    - I like a lot of Palm's customization of WM
    - Micro-USB is nice
    - Easy to get micro-SD card in and out

CON
    - plastic stylus is fine with me, but this one is too flexible; needs to be stiffer
    - need a soft reset hole or a soft reset app; popping the battery is very 1980's
    - BT audio quality is mediocre; I use a nxZEN 6000 which sounds great with Touch and Razr2.
    - please let me use Option key + buttons, without holding down the Option key.
    - weak battery; needs more juice
    - no case in box
    - don't have separate brightness controls for battery and AC
    - please give me the option of using either Palm threaded SMS or native 6.1 SMS
    - use Device ID to identify 800w when BT pairing, not Owner Name
    - fix some of these in next ROM version, OK?
  7.    #7  
    Well, there are more posted up, but I dont see mine.' (Found it!)

Scratch that... Skimmed through and completely missed it...

Bump for a good cause.
    Last edited by mbw163; 07/18/2008 at 10:09 PM.
    Very nice willysp, nice suggestions- I agree 100%.
    Back to the top.

Come on folks, lets flood their blog with posts. (But don't post multiple times, they can track IP's.)

Let 'em know where the problems lie and that we *WANT* a fix. They're going to be watching these very closely as it's a new phone. 6 months from now they won't care.
    I think the problems that can be solved should be at the top of the list and it looks like everyone is emphasizing them. Perhaps we can also voice possible solutions.
    eg
    1) The GPS issue requites someone at palm being tasked to clarify this specifically and if a palm fix or user work around is doable this could not take long at all to come up with.

2) with battery capacity perhaps suggesting high capacity being brought to market ASAP and at low markup.

3) another of my pet peeves mentioned by others is the fact that the LED doesn't flash for notifications (eg txt or voicemail) as 700p did. This could also be patched I think fairly quickly.

I think a sign from palm that they could come up with some quick patches and also help the users out on the battery life would really help them as much as us. After having over ten palm products to me the 800w is the last chance. For a company in this situation the temptation to release and abandoned a product is not an option. They have been slaughtered on market share and follow up and support is crucial
    the earpeice quality is the only thing that bugs me. Everything else is amazing.
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    3) another of my pet peeves mentioned by others is the fact that the LED doesn't flash for notifications (eg txt or voicemail) as 700p did. This could also be patched I think fairly quickly.
    A lot of people complained about those notifications.

Look at the MortScript forum. IIRC there is a script to let you control that.
    Been a few days since anyone's commented on the blog.

Bump.
    Quote Originally Posted by b3tt3r View Post
    the earpeice quality is the only thing that bugs me. Everything else is amazing.
    Earpiece volume is inconsistent. It's great sometimes, then quiet other times. A volume boost does wonders. I found TCPMP at 25% preamp boost to be loud enough to hear on the train when the headset is in its' "good" phase. I know PTunes also amplifies the volume, perhaps I will look into that next.
    Perhaps the reason that most folks aren't going to "flood their blog with posts", is that most folks are....um.... happy with their phones?

Every once in a while, this type of 'rallying of the troops' gets tiresome.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    Perhaps the reason that most folks aren't going to "flood their blog with posts", is that most folks are....um.... happy with their phones?

Every once in a while, this type of 'rallying of the troops' gets tiresome.
    Most people are happy with the 800w, but I think we have identified a few flaws that Palm can remedy relatively quickly. No one's posting on the blog about going back to the Treo 300, but there are a few shortcomings that make this device a little less than perfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny View Post
    Most people are happy with the 800w, but I think we have identified a few flaws that Palm can remedy relatively quickly. No one's posting on the blog about going back to the Treo 300, but there are a few shortcomings that make this device a little less than perfect.
    that's why I'm waiting for the smoke to clear on some of these issues (like the RevA thing, turning of GPS to save battery, etc.)

when we have a clear, consistent picture of what works, what doesn't and what should, I'm going to write up my review of the device and include a section on this--but I don't wanna jump the gun just yet.

At least then we'll have something easily cited for reference in the future and I agree, it'd be good to get Palm's attention on any problems for future ROM updates.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter