Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1.    #1  
    So I went into Google maps program and selected "use gps" and it pinpointed my position. at this time i had my phone on. Then i turned off the phone and walked around my block and the blue dot was still following where i was going even with the phone off. To me this concludes to the phone having standalone gps. Any thoughts?
  2. #2  
    That's not stand alone GPS.

    When your radio is on, it gets location information.

    See this thread for more information:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=167240
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    That's not stand alone GPS.

    When your radio is on, it gets location information.

    See this thread for more information:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=167240
    But he said:

    1. He turned the radio on to start Google Maps.

    2. He turned the radio OFF and GPS seemed to STILL be working.

    Interesting, no?
  4. NRG
    NRG is offline
    NRG's Avatar
    Posts
    3,657 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    #4  
    I have a feeling we will be getting LTOManager. Just a guess, but I see this in our future.
  5. #5  
    I am perplexed at the assertion of the title since I think we came to the conclusion that google maps was not going to be a valid test since it needs tower info anyway

    The question is on programs that do not need data connections and that routinely work on wince wm pda's with stand alone gps such as garmin and tomtom.

    Let's ask why stand alone is important and what one wants from it: Stand alone is going to be what you need if you are hiking or driving out of tower reception in a rural US area or overseas. So in my view if we want to know if it has functional stand alone, we need to know that happens when you don't get a tower at all.
  6. nlowhor's Avatar
    Posts
    440 Posts
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    #6  
    After installing GPSGate today and getting TomTom working, I stopped TomTom, turned the cell radio off, and relaunched TomTom. After just a few seconds it got a location again. That seems to indicate standalone GPS unless it can cache a recent location or something and would've stopped working if I had moved around.
  7. NRG
    NRG is offline
    NRG's Avatar
    Posts
    3,657 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    #7  
    I think the GPS is like the one in the HP6515, hence the reason I stated LtoManager earlier. I think it pulls GPS Satelite locations from the the towers, or it quickly trianglualtes then gets the sats. This info that is pulled, is persistent, therefore allowing you to navigate with the phone off. A reset, when performed flushs this info, making it difficult, if not impossible for the aGPS to get a fix. Someone mentioned that they tricked their's into getting a fix, maybe this happened because he was able to get the GPS unit to stay on long enough to get a fix. I personally could care less if it is an assisted GPS like the one they have in the HP6515. I just wish they would allow us to store 3-4 days worth of SAT info. Even better would be the 10 day limit.

    Just my musings, so please excuse me.
  8. taing's Avatar
    Posts
    18 Posts
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    #8  
    An even more interesting question is: Can we use the 800w as a GPS puck? It would be VERY cool to use USB or Bluetooth to have the 800w send GPS data to a laptop.

    As for needing to be in a rural area for standalone to matter - I've found dead areas in many cities - Pittsburgh, PA; Cleveland, OH; Toledo OH;, Detroit, MI; Columbus, OH; Houston, TX are the most recent. And don't forget the interstates - huge holes along, I-77, I-81, I-64, I-90, I-80, I-95 - and that was just the recent vacation travels. If GPS is advertised as standalone it should NOT depend on the CDMA radio.
  9. NRG
    NRG is offline
    NRG's Avatar
    Posts
    3,657 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by taing View Post
    An even more interesting question is: Can we use the 800w as a GPS puck? It would be VERY cool to use USB or Bluetooth to have the 800w send GPS data to a laptop.
    Check out a program called GPSProxy. Bonus! It is free.

    http://sourceforge.net /projects/gpsproxy/
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by nrupalp View Post
    So I went into Google maps program and selected "use gps" and it pinpointed my position. at this time i had my phone on. Then i turned off the phone and walked around my block and the blue dot was still following where i was going even with the phone off. To me this concludes to the phone having standalone gps. Any thoughts?
    Turn your phone radio off, soft reset, then try to get a GPS lock. GPS cold boot in Flight Mode is what doesn't work on the 800w right now.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    Turn your phone radio off, soft reset, then try to get a GPS lock. GPS cold boot in Flight Mode is what doesn't work on the 800w right now.
    That's becaue all Windows Mobile phones (okay, well the Mogul is all I could test) disable GPS in Flight mode. A better test is turning off the phone and data, not disabling everything like Flight mode does.

    Now the Mogul has a registry hack so GPS can work in Flight mode. It makes me wonder if the 800w also has the same registry hack.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG View Post
    Check out a program called GPSProxy. Bonus! It is free.

    http://sourceforge.net /projects/gpsproxy/
    what exactly is this for?
  13. NRG
    NRG is offline
    NRG's Avatar
    Posts
    3,657 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by paigoomein View Post
    what exactly is this for?
    It is so you can access the GPS receiver in your phone. It basically turn your GPS PDA into a Bluetooth GPS puck. I have not tried it on the Treo, but it worked very well on my old HP6515.

Posting Permissions