1.    #1  
    Hey all, I got on the SERO plan and I'm trying to justify switching to an 800w instead of a Touch, trying to decide if it is worth the $150.

1. If I get the PAM plan add on and I'm using the PAM through the usb cable to my laptop, is the phone charging at the same time or am I going to run out of batter in 4 hours. Since there is only port, i couln't charge and connect otherwise (I guess I could through bluetooth).

2. If you buy program for one WM phone, when you get a new one can you bring the programs with the phone or do you pay per phone?

3. Anyone have both of these phones and have an opinion either way? I like the physical keyboard and the wifi but Touch has better battery life and is $150 less.
    Quote Originally Posted by love4God View Post
    Hey all, I got on the SERO plan and I'm trying to justify switching to an 800w instead of a Touch, trying to decide if it is worth the $150.

1. If I get the PAM plan add on and I'm using the PAM through the usb cable to my laptop, is the phone charging at the same time or am I going to run out of batter in 4 hours. Since there is only port, i couln't charge and connect otherwise (I guess I could through bluetooth).

2. If you buy program for one WM phone, when you get a new one can you bring the programs with the phone or do you pay per phone?

3. Anyone have both of these phones and have an opinion either way? I like the physical keyboard and the wifi but Touch has better battery life and is $150 less.
    1) You would encounter the same issue with either phone. The HTC Touch has a MiniUSB port, while the Treo800W has a MicroUSB port.

2) As long as you have the install/cab file, you can bring it over...I think.

3) I went from the HTC Touch to the Treo800W. The Treo800W has all the features I am looking for in a phone. The Touch was close, and man I really miss the size of the phone, but I just couldn't get used to typing on an on-screen virtual keyboard.
    Quote Originally Posted by love4God View Post

1) As far as I'm aware, unless you have one of those tiny notebooks that limit output of power to USB ports, your device should be charging, or at the very least not lose any charge. Pretty sure USB outputs 5v at a maximum of
    0.5 A/500 mA. Check the wall adapter for "Output" and see what it says. If it's 1A/1000mA or less, you should be fine. It will, of course, drain your laptop battery that much quicker.

2) It depends. Many publishers are pretty liberal about you moving software to other phones. As long as you keep the activation key and a copy of the software, you should be good. Many places will let you redownload the software, but don't count on it (like if the company goes out of business or decides to drop a product). However, I do recall a few pieces of software that will require you to activate with the phone and tie it to the phone. So check on that matter before you purchase the software. There's also the issue of compatibility, which is a completely different matter...

3) No opinions, I don't have a Touch.
    on a side note, I was able to "skin" the touch to have an "iPhone-like" interface which was actually kinda neat.
  5.    #5  
    I just got back from the Sprint store, I got the 800w. I just liked it better, it definitely ran everything quicker than the touch did and I really like having a physical keyboard.

My dad has a touch and he went with me. We drove back and he was comparing as we drove down the road. A HUGE difference is in cell reception. My 800w always had more bars than the tough. We live in a bad reception spot and he can't make calls from his house, they always drop. My 800w was able to make calls without a problem. 1 and 2 bars, but the calls were clear and did not drop. An occassionally small breakup or scratchiness. He loves teh touch, the bigger, brighter screen, the smaller size. But he is considering switching to the 800w because of the reception difference.

One other thing I considered is that my opinion may change in another month or two of using it every day. Palm doesn't release phones as often and their value seems to hold really well. I can Ebay my 800w for $450 right now and I'll probably still be able to get a decent price in 6 months or a year. The Touch already dropped $150 in price, they're down to $200 on Ebay, and as better and better models come out in the next few months to year it will only drop further. So I have a much better chance of retaining value in the 800w (kind of like buying a Honda/Toyota instead of a Kia/Hyudai).

So far I really like the phone. I had a centro for about a week. It's a bit heavier and a touch wider but still fits nicely in my hand and is very pocketable (although not nearly as pocketable as the touch). I like WM a lot more than Palm because I'm used to it and I like the wider 800w keyboard.

Oh, and the screen is REALLY nice. Great resolution. Not as bright as the touch, but seems sharper and clearer.

Anyway, that's my experience.
    Thanks for that. I'm wondering what would be lost or gained in going from the Touch to this phone. It's good to hear from the perspective of other Touch owners.
    If God brought you to it He'll bring you thru it!
    can anyone give me a good comparison between the battery life of the Touch and 800w?

I was at first dissapointed in the Touch's battery life, but I can live with it. If the treo's is any worse it may be a deal breaker.
    ^^^ I would like to know this also... I feel the exact same way.
    If God brought you to it He'll bring you thru it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaggrey View Post
    Thanks for that. I'm wondering what would be lost or gained in going from the Touch to this phone. It's good to hear from the perspective of other Touch owners.
    battery life seems on par with the Touch and the Treo800W. that being said, I'm not a heavy user, so take my assessment with a grain of salt.

both are great devices in my opinion. the Touch definitely has the "cool/sleek" factor. it was hard for me to believe how small and thin the device when I actually had it in-hand.

I started to get more used to using the on-screen keyboard on the Touch (installed the trial version of the full-screen landscape keyboard), but it's definitely not the same as having a tactile keyboard. I had the Moto Q9m before these two phones and like that keyboard best, but the Treo keyboard is not bad either.

I find the Treo800W easier to use for making calls (dialing, etc), though I think the call quality itself was slightly better on the Touch. The Treo800W allows you for one-hand operation whereas it was a bit more difficult with the Touch.

Hope that helps somewhat.
    oh yes, one more thing--the screen itself is smaller, but you get more real-estate. 320x320 on the treo800w vs 320x240 on the touch.