Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1.    #1  
    PdaNet allows your laptop (or desktop) to go online wirelessly by connecting it a Windows Mobile Phone through the Sync cable, Bluetooth or Wifi. But it comes with only a short description for setting itself up through a WiFi capable phone. Enter the Treo800w. I got PDANet working fine with the USB cable but there are times I won't have the cable or want the convenience of a wireless connection so I want to get this to work.

    The PdaNet WiFi connect instructions (available under PdaNet settings by right clicking the PdaNet icon on the PC) says to setup WiFi connections between the portable computer and the phone through a a peer to peer (ad hoc) connection. I tried several things but couldn't get anything to work. Can someone explain how to do this with step by step directions on both the PC and Treo side?

    Thanks!
  2. #2  
    Yeah that would be cool. I guess it's the same concept as WMWiFiRouter?
  3. #3  
    OK after playing around with it for a while, I got it to work by following the instructions
    1) Set up an ad-hoc network from your computer, call it whatever you want.
    2) Turn the phone's wifi on and connect to the ad-hoc network.
    3) Go to Pdanet on the phone, change from "no wifi connection" to "allow XX-PC to connect" and click OK.
    4) A notification on the computer should pop up, allowing you to connect to the phone.
    5) Browse via high-speed intarwebs!

    P.S. My phone locked up each time after disconnecting, and I had to do a soft-reset via pulling the battery in order to get it working again. If anyone experiences the same, or better, knows a fix to the issue, please post
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by d1sturbdapeace View Post
    OK after playing around with it for a while, I got it to work by following the instructions
    1) Set up an ad-hoc network from your computer, call it whatever you want.
    2) Turn the phone's wifi on and connect to the ad-hoc network.
    3) Go to Pdanet on the phone, change from "no wifi connection" to "allow XX-PC to connect" and click OK.
    4) A notification on the computer should pop up, allowing you to connect to the phone.
    5) Browse via high-speed intarwebs!

    P.S. My phone locked up each time after disconnecting, and I had to do a soft-reset via pulling the battery in order to get it working again. If anyone experiences the same, or better, knows a fix to the issue, please post
    Glad you got it working. Do you mind detailing the exact steps for setting up an ad hoc network on the PC? Mine is running XP, sp3. I had both the PC and Treo connected peer-to-peer at one point, but never saw the "allow XX-PC to connect" in the PdaNet drop down. You did nothing fancy on the Treo side except open up PdaNet and follow #3?
  5. #5  
    which version of PDAnet is this?
  6.    #6  
    I am using Windows mobile 2.0 version of PdaNet.

    Note, I have made progress setting up the ad hoc network. I got the Treo and Laptop to connect to same network (helps to start by setting up and starting the ad hoc network on the PC first), and I was able to select the ad hoc network from the Treo PdaNet screeen now.

    One also need to make sure the PdaNet Modem Dialup connection is connected too in the Network Connections window. I selected connect from the PdaNet system tray icon on PC and saw the dialog for connecting to the WiFi, PDA net pops up its verifying username screen and I get a dialog that says PDA net is now connected. When that did not work I did one more thing:

    I went to the Treo WiFi Network Adaptor settings and set the Palm wireless card to connect to the "Internet", not "Work". When I reset all the connections it worked. DSLreports shows 690/222 Kbs. Be aware, this is a battery killer.

    So yes, this is like "Wifirouter" (Wifirouter does not work yet on the Treo800 though) but I believe it only works with one PC. Perhaps multiple PC's each with PdaNet might work but that's not really practical in most uses. Either way is a $20-30 dollar purchase and for one on one PdaNet's advantage is it offers USB and bluetooth support as well.
    Last edited by weisshb; 07/17/2008 at 09:14 AM. Reason: Add more info
  7. #7  
    Glad to hear it worked for you! It may just be easier to use the cables though, and less drain on the battery too. This way requires too much setup time.
  8. cheifsfan's Avatar
    Posts
    33 Posts
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    #8  
    Is it really this simple to get free internet on my laptop without getting charged more than my $15 data plan on my phone? Will i get charged for using my phone as a modem or tethering?
  9. #9  
    Got it to work briefly. Not sure how I set up the peer to peer. I tried to do it from the laptop...windows. On the advanced tab in "view available wireless" networks, you have to have ad-hoc enabled. I can't.... message says "At least one of your changes was not applied successfully to the wireless configuration." I think the co. has it disabled.

    I was able to use cisco aeronet client utility to access a peer to peer that I started on the 800. It locks up after disconnect.
  10. cheifsfan's Avatar
    Posts
    33 Posts
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    #10  
    Can anyone answer my thread above? Do I have to pay for tethering or using my phone as a modem?
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by cheifsfan View Post
    Can anyone answer my thread above? Do I have to pay for tethering or using my phone as a modem?
    There are dozens of discussions on this issue in the forums. Bottom line you are not likely to be charged if you use PDANet and have an unlimited data plan.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by weisshb View Post
    I am using Windows mobile 2.0 version of PdaNet.

    Note, I have made progress setting up the ad hoc network. I got the Treo and Laptop to connect to same network (helps to start by setting up and starting the ad hoc network on the PC first), and I was able to select the ad hoc network from the Treo PdaNet screeen now.

    One also need to make sure the PdaNet Modem Dialup connection is connected too in the Network Connections window. I selected connect from the PdaNet system tray icon on PC and saw the dialog for connecting to the WiFi, PDA net pops up its verifying username screen and I get a dialog that says PDA net is now connected. When that did not work I did one more thing:

    I went to the Treo WiFi Network Adaptor settings and set the Palm wireless card to connect to the "Internet", not "Work". When I reset all the connections it worked. DSLreports shows 690/222 Kbs. Be aware, this is a battery killer.

    So yes, this is like "Wifirouter" (Wifirouter does not work yet on the Treo800 though) but I believe it only works with one PC. Perhaps multiple PC's each with PdaNet might work but that's not really practical in most uses. Either way is a $20-30 dollar purchase and for one on one PdaNet's advantage is it offers USB and bluetooth support as well.
    I have setup the connection and it connects to my computer but I can't ping my phone. Also, the option doesn't show up in PDANet to select the connection over WiFi. Any ideas?
  13. #13  
    Huh - I installed PDANet 2.0 on my treo and now it won't connect to PowerVision for e-mail or internet explorer. That can't be good.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by weisshb View Post
    Glad you got it working. Do you mind detailing the exact steps for setting up an ad hoc network on the PC? Mine is running XP, sp3. I had both the PC and Treo connected peer-to-peer at one point, but never saw the "allow XX-PC to connect" in the PdaNet drop down. You did nothing fancy on the Treo side except open up PdaNet and follow #3?
    I am having the same issue. Anyone know why?
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by weisshb View Post
    Glad you got it working. Do you mind detailing the exact steps for setting up an ad hoc network on the PC? Mine is running XP, sp3. I had both the PC and Treo connected peer-to-peer at one point, but never saw the "allow XX-PC to connect" in the PdaNet drop down. You did nothing fancy on the Treo side except open up PdaNet and follow #3?
    Mine only saw the network in the drop down box AFTER I disconnected from usb even though I was conected to the adhoc network. USB connection must take precedence in PDAnet.

Posting Permissions