Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    I used the Palm Threaded SMS App on my Treo 700wx. That app allowed me to send an SMS that had over 160 characters. Once 161 characters were hit, the message would be split.

In the SMS App on the 800w, it does not let me go beyond 160 characters. I looked in the registry and couldn't find anything to allow me to bypass that limit. Anyone else run into this? Is there a workaround?
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    Search for the registry hacks thread in this forum... it has the mod you need.

something like HKLM/Software/Palm/V...something or other (cant remember now... search the forum the post is there... the mod works on my phone)
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    Thanks man! I found it:

http://discussion.wmexperts.com/showthread.php?t=167161

To change # of characters in a text message, change the "MaxPartsPerMsg" value.

HKLM\software\palm\varnish\messaging\sms

MaxPartsPerMsg=1

Change 1 to 10
    The change works. Thanks. Ben
    The 160+ character hack is really not necessary with the native threading app. All you have to do is hit "Send" when you run out of characters and then resume typing the rest of the message. Where you left off is displayed right there for your reference.

Todd/Indy
    I tried looking for it in my resco registry editor under HKLM/Software/palm/varnish, but it only has thise folders: diallookuplugin, speeddialplugin, and default.

Thanks, any help would be appreciated
    Quote Originally Posted by stn415 View Post
    I tried looking for it in my resco registry editor under HKLM/Software/palm/varnish, but it only has thise folders: diallookuplugin, speeddialplugin, and default.

Thanks, any help would be appreciated
    It's right there, third post has the answer.
    Quote Originally Posted by tbhausen View Post
    The 160+ character hack is really not necessary with the native threading app. All you have to do is hit "Send" when you run out of characters and then resume typing the rest of the message. Where you left off is displayed right there for your reference.

Todd/Indy
    While it's not necessary, it makes texting a lot simpler. Hardly any hacks or mods are necessary. After all...if they were, Palm would've included them. We do them to make our lives simpler.
    a740 --> a900 --> Katana --> a900 --> a900m --> M1 --> a900m --> PPC6700 --> a900m--> 8400 --> a900m --> Treo 700wx --> Treo 800w
    Plus-- then you could get a response back before getting your entire message out.
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    That is weird. Try the PHM regedit. It is free and well it found it
    One message instead of 3-4 messages makes this fix a real fix. Thanks again.
    That was totally uncalled for.

Todd/Indy
    Quote Originally Posted by dkotoric1 View Post
    You are trully a d******s.
    Quote Originally Posted by tbhausen View Post
    That was totally uncalled for.

Todd/Indy
    i agree. TC is a great place because we dont treat each other like this. remember we are all friends here.

people need to remember that if palm did it like this.... people would sent a 1600 sms massage and think they only need to be charged for one message.

sms stands for short message service. it has been 160 characters (including spaces), since 1985

learn more here ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Short_message_service
    Last edited by ronbo2000; 07/29/2008 at 04:43 PM. Reason: edited offending word
    My Avatar = This guy walks 12 miles a day just to charge his cell phone. Link Here
    If you want to buy me lunch... click here
    PDA's I've owned/used in order... nextel i930, BB 7100i, PPC-6700 (apache), treo 700p, PPC-6700, treo 700wx, PPC-6800 (mogul), PPC-6900 (touch), treo 755p, PPC-6900 (touch), BB 8130 (Pearl),PPC-6800 (mogul), BB 8330 (Curve) Diamond, treo 800w, Touch Pro, BB 8330 (Curve), Treo 800w, Treo Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by dkotoric1 View Post
    You are trully a d*****s.
    Please explain how you arrived at this conclusion.
    Last edited by ronbo2000; 07/29/2008 at 04:43 PM. Reason: edited offending word
    a740 --> a900 --> Katana --> a900 --> a900m --> M1 --> a900m --> PPC6700 --> a900m--> 8400 --> a900m --> Treo 700wx --> Treo 800w
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    One message instead of 3-4 messages makes this fix a real fix. Thanks again.
    i still don't understand the benefit of removing the limit and typing over 160 characters / spaces? are any phones capable of actually receiving sms w/ over 160 characters?

i try not to send "over text" the other person, because i don't think it's cool to bombard people with unnecessary text messages. if you send a message with 165 characters, it gets broken up into two speparate text messages, right? if i carry on a text'ing convo throughout the day, it can result in the other person getting double the text alerts, something like going from 10 "short" messages to some epic 20 messages, so by years end, we'll have enough for a novel.

the worst part is when i get the 3 part text messages that arrive out of order (thanks Verizon) and it's a headache to sort thru them on the motorola flip phone i had back in the day... especially while driving. addresses, directions, or basic instructions can get really messe up. this usally happens when people send it thru AIM, but i can see that happen when you 400 characters at once thru any device.

so getting back to the main benefit of sending multiple messages from one single jumbo text sms... are people okay with that when you send multiple messages to their small screened candy bar or flip phones?

and for good measure:

lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by ft5117 View Post
    i still don't understand the benefit of removing the limit and typing over 160 characters / spaces? are any phones capable of actually receiving sms w/ over 160 characters?

i try not to send "over text" the other person, because i don't think it's cool to bombard people with unnecessary text messages. if you send a message with 165 characters, it gets broken up into two speparate text messages, right? if i carry on a text'ing convo throughout the day, it can result in the other person getting double the text alerts, something like going from 10 "short" messages to some epic 20 messages, so by years end, we'll have enough for a novel.

the worst part is when i get the 3 part text messages that arrive out of order (thanks Verizon) and it's a headache to sort thru them on the motorola flip phone i had back in the day... especially while driving. addresses, directions, or basic instructions can get really messe up. this usally happens when people send it thru AIM, but i can see that happen when you 400 characters at once thru any device.

so getting back to the main benefit of sending multiple messages from one single jumbo text sms... are people okay with that when you send multiple messages to their small screened candy bar or flip phones?

and for good measure:

lol.
    Yes...my friends are okay with that. The only reason I send messages over 160 characters is because I HAVE to...meaning there's no way to shorten it and make it fit in the limits (well...maybe if I typed like a little 13 year old girl, but then even I wouldn't know what I was saying, and I'd probably have to send a second message to explain the first one, which just results in more messages).

The benefit is that when we have to type out messages that are over 160 characters, we don't want to have to pause and hit send when one of them hits the limit, and then resume our message. It's a hassle, and as it's been brought up before, it can cause unnecessary messages asking why you didn't finish what you were saying, or what does that mean, etc. This allows us to fully get our message out, and then the phone sends it in the right order. True, the network can mess it up, but I haven't had that happen very often. Maybe I'm just spoiled because I've been doing it for so long, but whatever.

I'm not sure why you think that we would like to remove the limit in order to constantly type out long messages that drive our friends crazy, but we don't.

Frankly, for those of you who don't see the benefit, or don't want the benefit, then don't do the hack. It's that simple.
    ithe worst part is when i get the 3 part text messages that arrive out of order (thanks Verizon)
    That's not the senders fault. I've sent dozens of multi-message SMS's, and not had a single one show up out of order (including a massive 7 text one).

are people okay with that when you send multiple messages to their small screened candy bar or flip phones?
    I fail to see the difference between sending 7 messages all at once, and 7 messages individually. You're still sending multiple messages to the same device.

Case in point, I was up on a nearby lake where coverage is very spotty. Tried having a conversation, but the signal kept dropping.

I typed up aforementioned 7 SMS message, and was able to not only get it out (getting across all the information I'd spent 5 minutes trying to get across via the dropped calls), but was able to then continue the conversation via text message and answer incoming questions.

As it was a fairly important message, I needed to get the whole thing out without getting a response to just the first message, which the later messages clarified and explained. It's irritating to be typing a follow up SMS, only to get a reply to the first one that the second one explains. It also tends to confuse the person you are sending to.

"Wait, was that SMS sent in reply to the one I just sent you or the first one you sent out?"

There is a certain elegance to using only 160 characters and getting a whole message across. But there are times when you need to get something across, and if you send an extra message with only 10 characters in it, oh well.
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    i'm used to sending heavily abbreviated sms, so that's probably why i haven't encountered too many problems. i was planning on doing the hack, anyway. thanks for the answering your own question and providing us with a link, mr. santos! :tup:

just wasn't sure why people were slinging insults over text message limits, LOL.
    Yeah, it makes no sense to sling insults over it. I still would like to know why I'm a [expletive deleted], but whatever.

As I said before, if the hack is not appealing to somebody, they shouldn't do it...simple as that. Nobody's forcing anybody else to do it. People are just weird, I think.
    To all you Centro Users, was there a way to defeat the character limit on the palm centro?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast