1.    #1  
    Pull that battery with it engaged. It stays on screen for over 1 minute.

This proves that it utilizes a tiny amount of power so we dont need to feel any battery guilt with it on!
    The LCD screen doesn't immediatly shut off. You can pull the battery on any screen and see it for quite some time after the phone is off.

All you're "proving" is that there is a residual charge after the battery is pulled.

That being said, the backlight is what uses most of the power, not the LCD, so the screen saver shouldn't eat up a lot of power.
    does it continue to move? when you pull the battery on the 700wx the screen stays in tact until the pixels finally bleed out. since there is no backlight, the pixels could just be taking longer to bleed out, but not really still "on screen"
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    The LCD screen doesn't immediatly shut off. You can pull the battery on any screen and see it for quite some time after the phone is off.

All you're "proving" is that there is a residual charge after the battery is pulled.
    Your wrong.

There is a capacitor(s) that stores energy to regulate the screen and backlight. When you pull the battery the the screen bleeds the capacitor until it is empty. The longer it takes to bleed the cap the smaller amount of juice is being pulled.

Since the screensaver is on for a full minute or so after the battery is pulled it cleary illustrates it uses very little power.

Now the time wont change, nor does it move after the batt is pulled but you are talking a very small amount of cpu power to do this.

The only reason I mention this is that there was some discussion last week in regards to how much batt the screensaver used and I pulled the batt with it on and was shocked how long it stayed on screen.

-Rob
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    Being curious about this, I've performed a somewhat unscientific (but arguably more so than your battery pull) test.

I tested with no applications running, push-active but none received during tests, no wireless on, no phone calls, etc. -- essentially identical usage conditions for an hour or so.

I checked the mAH used, powered the screen off and started timing for 25 minutes. I then performed this exact same test with the screen saver enabled and then with it disabled. I checked the used mah at the end of each test and divided by time to obtain the mAH /minute used.

Here are my results:

Screen saver enabled: .52 mAH / minute
    Screen saver disabled: .31 mAH / minute

Given these numbers, there's a definite difference in power drain with and without the screen saver.

I invite others to carefully recreate the experiment and post their results.
    the screen saver is worth it.
    Maybe. If those numbers hold on others' tests, that's a 40% difference in battery life just to run a screen saver...