1.    #1  
    Well, I'm on the search for the best streaming app for Windows Mobile. I mainly stream radio. I was using Kinoma 4 with my 755p and thought it was going to work well through Styletap, but alas it does not. It works sometimes, but crashes very often. Going to The Streamcenter on using Internet Explorer doesn't work very well, either. For some reason, when I tap on many of the links, IE wants to save the file rather than open up Windows Media Player. Some links do work. I don't understand why some do and some don't. So, for whatever reason, this isn't a very good solution, either. Any ideas out there for what to do?
    Pocket Tunes does a fine job and has a large list of stations to stream from. I'm trying them out paired with my S9's. Wasn't sounding so good until I upped my A2DP bitpool from 30 to 40 in the registry. Now it sounds pretty good. Not experiencing any buffer lag.

Gonna try Sirius now.

Edit: Yep Sirius works using SiriusWM5 (which is really for all versions of WM now)
    Last edited by hannip; 07/16/2008 at 12:34 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by sndtubes View Post
    Well, I'm on the search for the best streaming app for Windows Mobile. I mainly stream radio. I was using Kinoma 4 with my 755p and thought it was going to work well through Styletap, but alas it does not. It works sometimes, but crashes very often. Going to The Streamcenter on using Internet Explorer doesn't work very well, either. For some reason, when I tap on many of the links, IE wants to save the file rather than open up Windows Media Player. Some links do work. I don't understand why some do and some don't. So, for whatever reason, this isn't a very good solution, either. Any ideas out there for what to do?
    Unless the stream is in a Windows Media format (asx/wmp/mms), WMP will not stream it. You'll find a combination of streaming formats on the StreamCenter. Basically for mp3 (.pls) streaming, there are lots of apps that do that like TCPMP, CorePlayer, PocketTunes (they have a Windows Mobile version now).

When i go to the StreamCenter (http://thestreamcenter.com/pda or http://tuned.mobi ) and ShoutCast, i use CorePlayer for mp3 streams, Windows Media Player for wma/wmp/asx streams (BBC, local U.S stations) and RealPlayer for rm/realmedia streams (mostly BBC).
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
    I was using Kinoma 4 with my 755p and thought it was going to work well through Styletap, but alas it does not.
    We fully support StyleTap, so if you're having problems please contact our support folks. You'll want to make sure you've tried the latest StyleTap first.

Also, you've probably seen the Windows Mobile device in the header of our new site. My recommendation (which is biased, of course) is to wait a few weeks before you buy anything else.

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Kinoma Notes blog | Subscribe to blog (email) | Subscribe to blog (RSS) | Follow Kinoma for news/content alerts | Follow KinomaTips for tips/tricks
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles@Kinoma View Post
    We fully support StyleTap, so if you're having problems please contact our support folks. You'll want to make sure you've tried the latest StyleTap first.

Also, you've probably seen the Windows Mobile device in the header of our new site. My recommendation (which is biased, of course) is to wait a few weeks before you buy anything else.

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Charles, thanks. I do like Kinoma. That is why I am trying so hard to make it work. However, it really crashes a lot. I removed GPS Gate and it still crashed, so I'm no longer sure about what is causing it. It is very frustrating. So far, I haven't found anything close to Kinoma's media guide which I think is just great.
    Why would you want to run Kinoma in an emulator (StyleTap) and suffer the hassles and headaches knowing it won't work, when there are more capable and much BETTER native apps on Windows Mobile like CorePlayer that will do the job? Is it because of some misplaced loyalty to the Kinoma people??

If they really valued your business, or business in general, wouldn't they have developed a Win Mobile version by now after all these years? Even PocketTunes, one of the best, if not the BEST music player on Palm OS now have a Win Mobile version.

Just some pointers.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Merovingian View Post
    Why would you want to run Kinoma in an emulator (StyleTap) and suffer the hassles and headaches knowing it won't work, when there are more capable and much BETTER native apps on Windows Mobile like CorePlayer that will do the job? Is it because of some misplaced loyalty to the Kinoma people??

If they really valued your business, or business in general, wouldn't they have developed a Win Mobile version by now after all these years? Even PocketTunes, one of the best, if not the BEST music player on Palm OS now have a Win Mobile version.

Just some pointers.
    I am waiting for my reg. info from Mobihand so I can switch from Palm OS Coreplayer to Win Mobile OS. However, unless Coreplayer has substantially improved since the last time I used it, I won't like it. It really didn't support streaming at all on the Palm OS version, but that was a couple of revisions ago, so maybe its better now. So far, NO player I've tried has a handy media guide like Kinoma. That's why I like Kinoma. If it weren't for the media guide, then I wouldn't even bother with Kinoma.

I tried to install TCMP on my 800w the other day and it did not work. It kept crashing when I tried to start it. I will attemt to load it again later. Maybe there is something else wrong.......
    Charles, thanks. I do like Kinoma. That is why I am trying so hard to make it work. However, it really crashes a lot. I removed GPS Gate and it still crashed, so I'm no longer sure about what is causing it.
    Most likely, it's not the application but the StyleTap emulator. I think the fastest way to a resolution would be to contact StyleTap support first, but of course our support team is glad to help as well.

So far, I haven't found anything close to Kinoma's media guide which I think is just great.
    Thanks for the kind words! If you can hold on a few more weeks, I think our new Windows Mobile product will make you really happy.

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Kinoma Notes blog | Subscribe to blog (email) | Subscribe to blog (RSS) | Follow Kinoma for news/content alerts | Follow KinomaTips for tips/tricks
    Is it because of some misplaced loyalty to the Kinoma people??
    I think most of our customers would say that it's mainly because Kinoma software is pretty great.

We're lucky enough to have wonderful, loyal customers. I object to the suggestion that their loyalty is misplaced -- we arguably provide best customer support of anybody doing mobile software, and we really listen to our customers.

I'll be very interested to hear what you have to say about our forthcoming Windows Mobile product, which we hint at on our site.

If they really valued your business, or business in general, wouldn't they have developed a Win Mobile version by now after all these years?
    We've been working on the next product for several years. It's a new product rather than a simple port.

What can I say? Excellence cannot be rushed.

-- Charles Wiltgen
  10.    #10  

Thanks for the kind words! If you can hold on a few more weeks, I think our new Windows Mobile product will make you really happy.

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Ah, I wasn't aware that there was going to be a Windows Mobile product. In that case, I will wait. I will also contact Styletap, but I gotta pay for it first!

Will owners of PalmOS Kinoma 4.x get a break on the Windows Mobile version?

Just some pointers.
    lol, yeah but PT just came out like last month, so it's not like Kinoma is far behind. Kinoma and PTunes always had a healthy competition in this media area, so it'd be nice to see what they offer.

Anyways, I've always been fond of the Palm developer community as they understand simplicity/elegance and generally have a good idea on graphics, so I always welcome to the fold, so to speak

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    I think most of our customers would say that it's mainly because Kinoma software is pretty great.

We're lucky enough to have wonderful, loyal customers. I object to the suggestion that their loyalty is misplaced -- we arguably provide best customer support of anybody doing mobile software, and we really listen to our customers.

I'll be very interested to hear what you have to say about our forthcoming Windows Mobile product, which we hint at on our site.

We've been working on the next product for several years. It's a new product rather than a simple port.

What can I say? Excellence cannot be rushed.

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Your stuff is great no doubt about it (700p had Kinoma built-in, i think). I've always wondered why it hasn't been on Win Mobile all this time, but now i know something is in the works.
    I love Kinoma Player for Palm. It is the only product that I could find that was not only a player but also a podcast aggregator all in one. PocketTunes plays mp3 but it does not keep my podcasts organized the way Kinoma does.

Don't have the Palm Treo anymore so anxiously awaiting any news of a Kinoma Windows Mobile product that will do the same (or more) for the new 800w.
    Stay tuned for Streamsmart. Account required.
    It might be a glitch in Styletap with 800w because I can't use Kinoma player anymore. Seemed to work fine the first day but now as soon as I click on a bookmarked feed, Styletap crashes out.

I'm just going to wait for the native Kinoma product.
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yirk View Post
    I love Kinoma Player for Palm. It is the only product that I could find that was not only a player but also........................

a podcast aggregator all in one.

PocketTunes plays mp3 but it does not keep my podcasts organized the way Kinoma does.
    thanks for adding that tidbit of crucial info bout the podcasts... i've been putting a lot of time and resources into my "car pc" project, but now that i have the 800w.... i'm not sure i can justify spending so much time and effort on the car pc, lol. normal car pc's go for $1,000 - $2,000, DYI projects can cost as little as $600, but the 800w pretty much has everything: GPS, wifi, media player, display, mini keyboard, bluetooth keyboard (I-Go accessory), etc. and more: cellular, wireless data, etc. only thing missing was a podcast organizer, which is what i use 75% of the time while driving. 800w's small screen isn't an issue, because i don't watch the video podcasts while driving. now i can go check out some Malatesta / Hannip approved software while waiting for the release of the Kinoma player. :tup: