Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    206 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mattmcg View Post
    Yeah, I'm getting the same message but then notice that the "Use GPS" option is unchecked in the Google Maps menu. If I select the option, the GPS data connects and everything works fine......
    I'm getting the same result. I made the assumption that 'My Location' worked without the need to enable the GPS option. I assumed the aGPS feature would be used. My concern is the GPS option will be a big drain on the battery.
    Quote Originally Posted by aixguru View Post
    I'm getting the same result. I made the assumption that 'My Location' worked without the need to enable the GPS option. I assumed the aGPS feature would be used. My concern is the GPS option will be a big drain on the battery.
    are we sure that the "GPS Option" on the map refers to the standalone GPS chip? or does it refer to aGPS? it acquires the signal pretty fast, so I had figured it was aGPS. I could be dead wrong though.
    possibly, but the beta service is designed to be used without an actual gps chip for devices that either cannot check the option to use gps or are in a place where they do not have a clear view of the sky and cannot pick up any satalites. ive seen it working a couple handsets and its a very quick handy process for searching for things close to your location. "my location" and "use gps" are two differant features of google maps
    Quote Originally Posted by NAOrion View Post
    possibly, but the beta service is designed to be used without an actual gps chip for devices that either cannot check the option to use gps or are in a place where they do not have a clear view of the sky and cannot pick up any satalites. ive seen it working a couple handsets and its a very quick handy process for searching for things close to your location. "my location" and "use gps" are two differant features of google maps
    My Location is only working for me when I select Use GPS.....
    http://www.google.com/mobile/gmm/mylocation/

the use gps options is exact from satalites using an actual gps chip.

the my location is approximate using agps, and it appears to be not working on the 800

the my location is approximate using agps, and it appears to be not working on the 800
    ahh, thanks for the clarification. it would appear that mine does not work either--getting the same "not compatible with my location beta" message. I gotta say I'm surprised at how quickly the GPS did pick up the location though.
    Global Posts
    206 Global Posts

Digging around the site I found the following bit of info. It seems that "My Location" is not currently supported on the 800w using aGPS. Grrrr!!!

"If you have a Java-enabled (J2ME) device, BlackBerry or Windows Mobile device, you can easily check whether or not My Location (beta) is available. Just go to "Help" > "About" from the application. If the box contains "myl: N/A," it means your device isn't reporting a cell, and your location may not be available."
    boooooo.
    Global Posts
    206 Global Posts
    This doesn't speak to WM 6.1, but the behavior is the same.

http://www.google.com/support/mobile...ng&topic=13541
    No, "My Location" doesn't work unless I use GPS. When I said it "works perfectly" I mean I can get my coordinates using GPS in both apps. Before I downloaded the latest version of GMaps, I couldn't get it to work unless I changed the GPS settings.
    Quote Originally Posted by aixguru View Post
    Digging around the site I found the following bit of info. It seems that "My Location" is not currently supported on the 800w using aGPS. Grrrr!!!
    Sigh.

"My Location" uses cell tower triangulation aka AFLT (Advanced Forward Link Trilateration)--it's very old technology and not very accurate.

aGPS is GPS plus "assistance servers" which already have calculated the satellite information and assist your device in calculating your location. It replaced AFLT with the e911 legislation.

"My Location" uses AFLT not aGPS.

Google Maps can use AFLT, aGPS or just GPS.

The Treo 800w uses aGPS and it works on Google Maps.

Get it? Got it? Good...

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Don't most of you have the everything plan? You know, the Sprint Navigation is NOT the devil. It's actually a very nice program. Just saying.
    Quote Originally Posted by lawilson2 View Post
    Don't most of you have the everything plan? You know, the Sprint Navigation is NOT the devil. It's actually a very nice program. Just saying.
    I know I have that plan, have had it for awhile now, and I agree, its not a bad program. I've been playing around with google and sprint navigation, and they both work very, very well. Picked up my loaction quick, and has been spot on when it came to my directions and position.
    Remember, this is my opinion ! We all have a right to our own.....

Treo's 650-800..NOW,
    Palm Pre
    i do not have the everything plan, the 19.99 per extra line would run me over my current cost at my existing 9.99 per extra line. in short, no sprint navigation for me.

Even through AFLT is old location, at least it works in area's that GPS and aGPS do not, aka: Indoors. Also, I don't need my pin point battery draining technology to find the nearest taco bell, I just need a quick way to find my general location - pressing 0.
    well i have the everything plan with 2 phone, 1500 min, for $129 plus i work for the goverment so i have a 15% discount which is not bad
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Sigh.

"My Location" uses cell tower triangulation aka AFLT (Advanced Forward Link Trilateration)--it's very old technology and not very accurate.

aGPS is GPS plus "assistance servers" which already have calculated the satellite information and assist your device in calculating your location. It replaced AFLT with the e911 legislation.

"My Location" uses AFLT not aGPS.

Google Maps can use AFLT, aGPS or just GPS.

The Treo 800w uses aGPS and it works on Google Maps.

Get it? Got it? Good...
    Is there something I need to do (config/tweak) to have "My Location" work without enabling GPS? In other words, how would I get "My Location" to work with just aGPS?
    Quote Originally Posted by paigoomein View Post
    Is there something I need to do (config/tweak) to have "My Location" work without enabling GPS? In other words, how would I get "My Location" to work with just aGPS?
    It's not your end, but Sprint's.

Long story short: google collected tower info form users (that's what happens when you "accept" their terms and conditions) so they bypassed the carriers since they did not have to cooperate with them on getting that information.

Sprint, however, keeps that info on the phone either encrypted or not available to the end user (via an API to the OS) so Google Maps cannot see that tower info.

Presumably Palm and Sprint would need to work together to unlock that, much like the ROM update coming to the Centro this summer on Sprint which will do the same.

So, in short (lol) you just have to use aGPS with the limitation that at least indoors, it won't be as fast...

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigchris View Post
    I know I have that plan, have had it for awhile now, and I agree, its not a bad program. I've been playing around with google and sprint navigation, and they both work very, very well. Picked up my loaction quick, and has been spot on when it came to my directions and position.
    I think the main issue here is people with Google Maps, and that's understandable. You're not going to get the exact same functionality that you would out of a full Garmin device or even the new Dash Express, but man, for a cell phone, this is pretty great. Think about where we were a few years ago. Now we have multiple devices that separately cost into the hundreds of dollars in one device. As with an all in one printer though, you won't get the full benefit of each one separately, but it's pretty darn close.

Since I'm paying thru for Sprint Navigation thru the Everything plan, I will use it, and I'm just happy to have any type of GPS functionality at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by lawilson2 View Post
    I think the main issue here is people with Google Maps, and that's understandable. You're not going to get the exact same functionality that you would out of a full Garmin device or even the new Dash Express, but man, for a cell phone, this is pretty great. Think about where we were a few years ago. Now we have multiple devices that separately cost into the hundreds of dollars in one device. As with an all in one printer though, you won't get the full benefit of each one separately, but it's pretty darn close.

Since I'm paying thru for Sprint Navigation thru the Everything plan, I will use it, and I'm just happy to have any type of GPS functionality at all.
    I agree...
    Remember, this is my opinion ! We all have a right to our own.....

Treo's 650-800..NOW,
    Palm Pre
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast