Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I've always had unlimited data plans so even on the Mogul, I never turned on Wifi. Maybe once or twice to copy a file across a network.

I'm just curious why others who have data plans use wifi, if they do?
    Global Posts
    755 Global Posts
    Yes when I travel and I have no service or 1xRTT service.
    So far...

No.

I see myself rarely using that feature. Shoot, I haven't even tried it yet after 24 hrs.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    Yes. It works well using the Remote Desktop client to attach to PCs on the same network as the wifi. I also use it with pocket lan to scan a range of IP addresses on the local network.
    Yes, at night I use it when I have the phone radio off to avoid calls and sms. I also use it when streaming as there is a limit to "unlimited".

Wifi is faster with lower latency so I also tend to use it whenever my phone is plugged in.
    yes there are sections of my house and my inlaws where I get no service and there is Wifi there so I will and have been using it a ton. Its an essential for me and a major selling point.
    I use the wifi on my Mogul almost every weekend. I often go camping where I can't get a cell signal or no sprint signal. So I use the wifi that most camp grounds offer to check my email or stream my Sirius radio.
  8. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    I use it to access my media server, I can pick up an ablum pretty easy, and quickly too. I can also grab videos too.

How do you use the Remote Desktop?
    Last edited by NRG; 07/17/2008 at 06:01 PM.
    I know for a fact all the long time TC Treo users will make use of WiFi even if they dont need it. Otherwise they would look like fools for complaining about not having it for the last 6 years. :lol
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    I do most of my browsing in bed at night. I use wifi because its around 300kb faster. I actually use it a lot. In fact now I only buy PDA's that have wifi. It has become a deal breaker for me.
    Yup I'm using wifi. In my area its 1x so it is slow. But with wifi, its nice.
    Would this be a good option for getting email while in a Europe or other non CDMA area?
  13. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by C5Longhorn View Post
    Would this be a good option for getting email while in a Europe or other non CDMA area?
    I would think so.
    So its only me who browse while on the phone?
    Technological superiority has never won a product battle. If that were the case we would all be flying in supersonic Concordes and using Apple computers.

The key to winning the battle is a combination of price, convenience, marketing, sound business model and a bit of luck.
    1) PLENTY of Hotel basement conference rooms in major U.S. cities where you get no (Sprint especially) service and/or no EVDO.

2) new Sprint download limits

3) Travel overseas. Lots of us have cheap unlocked gsm phones and thow in local prepaid sims. On those handsets incoming calls from anywhere are free but data is murderous if available. WiFi means you can use WiFi hotspots, which are extraordinarily common in Europe and even in the third world, to use your smartphone as a connected PDA and get your email, use the net, synch, etc.

4) Areas in the US where there is no EVDO are not that rare.

5) Concurrent use of net and phone.

Yes there are quite a few combinations of professional needs, lifestyle habits, andgeo graphical locations where you might wonder why anyone would use WiFi on a smartphone. But on the other side of the coin there are plenty of combinations where it is absolutely necessary and a killer aspect of a smartphone.
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    I use it at the hospital since they do their best to block cell signals
    I use it a lot in class and in the library at our school. For some reason, Sprint gets little to no signal in most buildings in our campus, except for the cafeteria, where Sprint is the only carrier that gets signal.
    Some have mentioned new download limits for Sprint but these only apply to data cards and phone as a modem plans. Data usage on the phone does not have a cap. As far as the original question, I never use it. I have EVDO Rev A everywhere I go and even in the boonies. In the city there are some hotspots but none are free. Out in the boonies there are no hotspots obviously.
    Phone history with Sprint since April 2001: Kyocera QCP-2035, LG Touchpoint 1100, Samsung i500, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Treo 755p, HTC Mogul, Blackberry 8830, Samsung A900M, Motorola ic902, Blackberry Curve 8330, Samsung Instinct, HTC Touch, Treo 800w, Touch Diamond, Touch Pro, Motorola i9, Treo Pro (personal)/Iphone 3G 16GB (gone to make room for Pre), Palm Pre, blackberry tour, iPhone 3GS 32GB
    Quote Originally Posted by mabmarc View Post
    Yes. It works well using the Remote Desktop client to attach to PCs on the same network as the wifi. I also use it with pocket lan to scan a range of IP addresses on the local network.
    Where did you get Remote Desktop for the Treo800w?
    I turned on WiFi once just to see the setup screen and to make sure the button works. It will be turned on again in some 2 years by someone else after I sell this nearly perfect phone on eBay.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast