Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasracer View Post
    I e-mailed Pandora once and asked about the WM client (they announced well over a year ago that they are working on one and it would be out "soon"). This is where I lost complete faith in Pandora delivering a WM client.

They informed me that due to the wide variety of phone configurations that development and testing for WM is a very long process and they didn't know when it would be complete.

In other words: they don't know what they're doing.
    That's interesting - I got an almost identical response from LoopT when asked if they were planning on making a WM app similar to their iPhone app. I wonder, is WM really that much harder to develop for than the iPhone???
    Twitter: @dvdmon

Quote Originally Posted by dvdmon View Post
    That's interesting - I got an almost identical response from LoopT when asked if they were planning on making a WM app similar to their iPhone app. I wonder, is WM really that much harder to develop for than the iPhone???
    I think, in general, they are talking nonsense. Look at the Google maps app - one client that work equally well on all WM phones, while accessing the net and GPS.

Here's the supposed CTO's response to a blog post complaining about the absense of an app.

Hey there, I'm the CTO over at Pandora and wanted to let you know that we're very interested in bringing Pandora to Windows Mobile in addition to the other 50 phones we currently support. The trickiest bit is "which Windows Mobile" -- while there is of course an SDK, the differences from phone to phone (touch, no touch, small screen, big screen, horizontal orientation, vertical orientation, keyboard, no keyboard, etc) make it a very tricky platform to code to. That's not to say that we aren't up to the task -- in fact we're hard at work on it now. Thanks so much for your patience and for taking the time to let us know how much you want a WinMo version of Pandora.

Tom
    CTO @ Pandora
    http://www.gholaleto.com/2008/07/win...ft-out-of.html

I find his excuse lame in the extreme.

Surur
    Last edited by surur; 08/03/2008 at 05:11 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by sivan View Post
    Got a "No" for Palm devices. Bottom line: they can't justify it on the Palm because of low popularity. The feature phones get a Java app, so it's no big deal to get them to work on many models and cumulatively a large market (for a fee with Sprint). On a Palm it would take a completely new app.

My guess is that the 3G iPhone appeals to them due to focus on music playback.

It's a real bummer that we can't have Pandora on Palm devices.
    I think you're confused. Pandora most likely assumed you were referring to the Palm OS, which has a lower popularity compared to other operating systems out there.

Windows Mobile, which is on the Treo 800w, however; has quite a large popularity (much, much higher than iPhone currently). The Palm Treo 800w runs Windows Mobile which means they can write one application and it should work just fine on the 800w, Mogul, Touch, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by dvdmon View Post
    I'm software developer and I've worked on Windows Mobile as well as working on an app for the iPhone.

Windows Mobile is light years easier to develop and debug for.

I think they were just going for a device that was on the headlines to try and gain popularity faster.
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    http://www.gholaleto.com/2008/07/win...ft-out-of.html

I find his excuse lame in the extreme.
    It's a very lame excuse and makes me think they have no clue what they're doing. If I had access to some sort of public API for Pandora I could have an application working well within a week on multiple devices.

As far as I'm concerned, I'm going to discontinue my support for them (although very little anyway; I'm one person) until they get better developers or start to wise up.

Windows Mobile is the easiest platform to develop for, in my experience at least. I think Objective-C for the iPhone very clunky especially since it's not a standard language lik C++ or C#, two languages that are used to develop applications for Windows Mobile (with C++ being the primary language for almost all phones that are non-Java).
    I just tried out LastFM (aka pockey scrobbler) and wow, I'm very impressed with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasracer View Post
    I think you're confused. Pandora most likely assumed you were referring to the Palm OS, which has a lower popularity compared to other operating systems out there.
    No, it was clear. They won't do it for Palm OS.

Effort-wise, it may be problematic with the Palm OS due to the lack of multitasking. The Pandora client communicates a lot with the service during playback.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700

Effort-wise, it may be problematic with the Palm OS due to the lack of multitasking. The Pandora client communicates a lot with the service during playback.
    Thats funny, because the iPhone doesn't multi-task for 3rd party apps either, and when you leave the app the music stops.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Thats funny, because the iPhone doesn't multi-task for 3rd party apps either, and when you leave the app the music stops.

Surur
    I meant that the client needs more than one thread/process running when it's active. That can still work on the iPhone even if the client is suspended when switching to another app.

You just confirmed what I said... I said Pandora probably thought you were referring to the Palm OS (which would not matter in our world since we're all using Windows Mobile) and you said that you were.
    I meant that the client needs more than one thread/process running when it's active. That can still work on the iPhone even if the client is suspended when switching to another app.
    Even though I hate Palm OS, I'm not sure you know what you're talking about. Palm OS supports threading just fine. It just can't multi-task but neither can the iPhone.

Once an application is changed on the iPhone, the thread for it ends so there is no suspeding either.
    I shouldn't have replied to this topic, I saw it on the New Posts on TreoCentral.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12