Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    First, let me state that I am a long time reader of TC (since the 600 days) and I am fully aware that I could spend 5-10 hours searching and get all my questions answered, but I simply do not have time to do that today and need some quick answers so please just help a guy out, and I promise to return the favor some day!!

I am a current user of a Treo 700p and very set in my ways. I need some quick help to identify if there are similar apps to my most used palm apps....

1. Try DA: I have used this for literally years (since the treo 600!) and can not live without it. I can live with styletap if needed, so a simple replacement or validation that it works via styletap is good.

2. SplashMoney. Again, use this everyday as a check register, and can not live without it. Would prefer a native app rather than styletap since it is used so often. All I require is basic check book register (record withdraws/deposits to a checking account) and the ability to communicate with my banks website to mark items as cleared.
    edit: ok looks like there is a wm version of this so hurray.

3. keycaps: another item that I cant live without. gotta be able to doubletap for alt keys and hold for caps!!!!! Obviously not doable via styletap so need a native solution.

4. Mobipocket reader. Just need a confirmation that someone has run this on the 800. I have used it on my treo 700 as well as a BB I had to carry for work, so I know the versions might be slightly diffrent, just want to make sure there is no issue with compatability with ver6.1 and the current mobipocket.

5. uninstall: dont know if windows has a built in uninstaller, but a must have on palm. any info is appreciated

A final general question. I assume there is some method to pull over an existing contacts list. I have hundreds of phone numbers that would need to be preserved. I guess worst case I could export from palm desktop as a cvs and import into something else.

Much appreciation and thanks to everyone that helps out.
    Last edited by Aaron C; 07/15/2008 at 07:55 AM.
  2. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron C View Post
    First, let me state that I am a long time reader of TC (since the 600 days) and I am fully aware that I could spend 5-10 hours searching and get all my questions answered, but I simply do not have time to do that today and need some quick answers so please just help a guy out, and I promise to return the favor some day!!

I am a current user of a Treo 700p and very set in my ways. I need some quick help to identify if there are similar apps to my most used palm apps....

1. Try DA: I have used this for literally years (since the treo 600!) and can not live without it. I can live with styletap if needed, so a simple replacement or validation that it works via styletap is good.

2. SplashMoney. Again, use this everyday as a check register, and can not live without it. Would prefer a native app rather than styletap since it is used so often. All I require is basic check book register (record withdraws/deposits to a checking account) and the ability to communicate with my banks website to mark items as cleared.

3. keycaps: another item that I cant live without. gotta be able to doubletap for alt keys and hold for caps!!!!! Obviously not doable via styletap so need a native solution.

4. Mobipocket reader. Just need a confirmation that someone has run this on the 800. I have used it on my treo 700 as well as a BB I had to carry for work, so I know the versions might be slightly diffrent, just want to make sure there is no issue with compatability with ver6.1 and the current mobipocket.

5. uninstall: dont know if windows has a built in uninstaller, but a must have on palm. any info is appreciated

A final general question. I assume there is some method to pull over an existing contacts list. I have hundreds of phone numbers that would need to be preserved. I guess worst case I could export from palm desktop as a cvs and import into something else.

Much appreciation and thanks to everyone that helps out.
    Aaron, you aren't much different than myself.

1) DA: Can be replaced by Google maps. Depending on what you are using it for.

2) Splashmoney: There is now a PPC version of Splashmoney.

3) I think you can use a program called Caps Lock.

4) MobiPocket Reader is available for PPC

5) PPC has a built-in deinstaller, but to clean up dead reg and shortcuts, you will want a prog called memmaid.

Just sync your 700 with outlook before you switch over.

Hope this helps.
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    ARRRRRGGGGHHHHH

I have no pc with outlook! My company uses lotus notes (yes I know how bad that is) and will be loading good. I guess the cvs file is the way I will have to go.

Thanks for the help.
    1. I use da to lookup phone numbers for business and residential. didnt know googlemaps could do that!

2. saw that and am looking into how to convert my license

3. will check out caps lock

4. yep

5. This is new to me thanks!!!!
    Global Posts
    755 Global Posts
    ARRRRRGGGGHHHHH

I have no pc with outlook! My company uses lotus notes (yes I know how bad that is) and will be loading good. I guess the cvs file is the way I will have to go.

Thanks for the help.
    1. I use da to lookup phone numbers for business and residential. didnt know googlemaps could do that!

3. will check out caps lock

4. yep

5. This is new to me thanks!!!!
    You can use mNotes to sync Lotus Notes with Windows Mobile. It isn't free but it works.
  5. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    ARRRRRGGGGHHHHH

You are looking for a crossgrade, it is $9.95.

How much do upgrades cost?

If you own a different OS license for SplashMoney (including Palm OS, the SplashWallet suite, or a Desktop Only license) you may crossgrade to SplashMoney for Windows Mobile for $9.95.

* Crossgrade to SplashMoney for Windows Mobile for $9.95

http://www.splashdata.com/splashmone...c.htm#regerror
  6. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Google maps can look up Business, just not residential.
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    Looks like try da works with styletap (at least according to the website)
    so it wouldnt be that bad...could still use it for residential lookups as needed!

Anyone gotten sprint to give the new account discounts on existing accounts that are able to get the full upgrade?
  8. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Looks like try da works with styletap (at least according to the website)
    so it wouldnt be that bad...could still use it for residential lookups as needed!

Anyone gotten sprint to give the new account discounts on existing accounts that are able to get the full upgrade?
    I got mine for $349 before a $100 mail-in rebate.
    What about something to replace Butler? I use daily for the single-key shortcuts to launch apps and for an alarm to remind me to take pills each day. Anything built in or add on that tackles these functions well?

BTW NRG, we have similar device experiences...I went from the REX --> Visor --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 700P --> Treo 800W You have had a year or so to adjust to WinMob, this is a big leap of faith for me!

Like Aaron, I'm just set in my ways with my 700P tweaked the way I like it. Butler, Chatter, TCPMP and Treo Launcher are my must haves and I'm a bit anxious about learning something new.

Edit: Bummer, CalorieKing food database/diary doesn't have a WinMob counterpart...StyleTap may be in my future
    Last edited by dslunceford; 07/15/2008 at 09:07 AM.
    --Steve

Visor-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700P-->Treo 800W-->Palm Pre-->HP Touchpad

My DVD Collection
    My Media Room
    GovTwit Directory
    Twitter: @dslunceford
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    DSL, we may be the same person!!! I use butler phone technician and powerhero daily, but I figured that most of those features are built in to WM (mp3 ringers, some power management). Besides Hobbyist software will just have to get busy and give us WM versions of our REQUIRED apps!!

NRG. How hard was that sell? I am luck enough to have a business relationship with a sprint corp sales rep and my current path is to cancel my spare line, add a new line with the purchase, transfer the numbers, between my 700 and 800. then transfer the numbers from my 700 to the spare phone. Then FINALLY i can sell the 700p. If i can actually walk into the BM store and plop down $350 with the mail in, that would be MUCH easier.
  11. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    NRG. How hard was that sell? I am luck enough to have a business relationship with a sprint corp sales rep and my current path is to cancel my spare line, add a new line with the purchase, transfer the numbers, between my 700 and 800. then transfer the numbers from my 700 to the spare phone. Then FINALLY i can sell the 700p. If i can actually walk into the BM store and plop down $350 with the mail in, that would be MUCH easier.
    That sounds real convoluted. My $350 w/o mail in was not that hard. I am not too sure what discounts I got, but all I did was walk-in, asked for a loyalty discount, and upgrade.
  12. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dslunceford View Post
    BTW NRG, we have similar device experiences...I went from the REX --> Visor --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 700P --> Treo 800W You have had a year or so to adjust to WinMob, this is a big leap of faith for me!

Like Aaron, I'm just set in my ways with my 700P tweaked the way I like it. Butler, Chatter, TCPMP and Treo Launcher are my must haves and I'm a bit anxious about learning something new.
    I understand, I was the same way. I actually made the leap to WM once when the 700wx first came out, but the prog support at that time was abysmal, so I went back to the P. But when Splashmoney came out, I went back to the 700wx, and will never look back. Unfortunately,Butler like One-Key launch is absent from any programs I know of. But, you could try to patch something together with AE Button Plus.
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    I made the jump
    I am sitting with a 800w in my hand now.
    NGR: got them to give me the deal on my spare line. I just have to wait 6 weeks to swap the numbers (after the rebate clears). My number was not eligible for the upgrade.
    I basically have 30 days to look at this thing and see if I like it.

First impressions:
    Everything is different! I can see that there is going to be a learning curve with this thing.

jsut playing with it at this point. Its going to take some getting used to.
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    quick question number 54544. Where is a good shareware/freeware software site for wm
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    Thanks for all the help. Just in case anyone is searching for replacement apps and comes accross this thread here is what I found:

1. Try DA: nothing. does not work with styletap, but windows live search and google handle business lookups. residential still not solved.

2. SplashMoney. WM version out

3. keycaps: magikb lite

4. Mobipocket reader.wm version

5. uninstall: built in installer is good enough
    Global Posts
    211 Global Posts
    "1. Try DA: nothing. does not work with styletap, but windows live search and google handle business lookups. residential still not solved."

Bummer about DA. That is one app I depend on and is one of the reasons I've not made the jump yet to the 800w. Well, that and Sling not working...