Page 38 of 44 FirstFirst ... 283334353637383940414243 ... LastLast
    Treo Alert is a great tool that is so essential it should have been part of the system.
    Unfortunaltey it is subject to the Treo freezes. When the phone freezes up then reliablity is gone. I discovered what I bet is a regular bug in the 800w.
    If I am reading my emails and a call comes in - after hanging up - the email is frozen. I must get into Tasks and kill it. When sendind an email - the same thing and, of course, I lose the email I was sending and must retype it.

How can this be properly reported to Palm so that they can work on a fix?
    Are they working on a fix for the Bluetooth volume problem?
    Sprite backup - I cannot figure out why it often just does not perform the automatic backup. Still alot of other freeze ups that I cannot figure out.
    Is Palm aware and working on these bugs? As I said before, I like the phone and want to like it. But reliability is essential. When the phone freezes, alerts don't work, reminders don't work. Alarms don't work. Sometimes phone calls don't come in and I'm not aware of it until I pull the battery and see the voice mails.
    I have been experiencing over night issues that prevent my sprite backup from taking place for sometime now. Sometimes it locks up completely and sometimes it just looses most functionality until I do a reset. I also have experienced an occasional daytime freeze.

Yesterday I made these edits to my registry.
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=175110

For the first time in weeks my phone made it through the night, performed its backup and performed normally in the morning.

I really think this notification bug may be what was causing my problems but I can't be sure until I do some more testing. It might be worth a try for everyone who has been experiencing this type of issues.

Quote Originally Posted by reidler View Post
    Treo Alert is a great tool that is so essential it should have been part of the system.
    Unfortunaltey it is subject to the Treo freezes. When the phone freezes up then reliablity is gone. I discovered what I bet is a regular bug in the 800w.
    If I am reading my emails and a call comes in - after hanging up - the email is frozen. I must get into Tasks and kill it. When sendind an email - the same thing and, of course, I lose the email I was sending and must retype it.

How can this be properly reported to Palm so that they can work on a fix?
    Are they working on a fix for the Bluetooth volume problem?
    Sprite backup - I cannot figure out why it often just does not perform the automatic backup. Still alot of other freeze ups that I cannot figure out.
    Is Palm aware and working on these bugs? As I said before, I like the phone and want to like it. But reliability is essential. When the phone freezes, alerts don't work, reminders don't work. Alarms don't work. Sometimes phone calls don't come in and I'm not aware of it until I pull the battery and see the voice mails.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Thank you. I made the change in those two registry settings from 15 to 120.
    I don't think that's my problem. I'm going to also try to remember to get into Tasks and kill all tasks before I go to sleep. Today during the day my Calendar froze. I went into it by moving the down arrow key to the calendar items showing at the bottom of the Today screen and pushed the center button. It took me into the calendar. I made a change and when I clicked on OK it froze. I then went to Tasks and tried to kill that process. It tried for about 30 seconds and was not able to kill it. I had to pull the battery.
    I wonder if one of these programs like email or calendar freezes if that's not what also stops the Sprite from performing on schedule. ???
    Quote Originally Posted by reidler View Post
    Thank you. I made the change in those two registry settings from 15 to 120.
    I don't think that's my problem. I'm going to also try to remember to get into Tasks and kill all tasks before I go to sleep. Today during the day my Calendar froze. I went into it by moving the down arrow key to the calendar items showing at the bottom of the Today screen and pushed the center button. It took me into the calendar. I made a change and when I clicked on OK it froze. I then went to Tasks and tried to kill that process. It tried for about 30 seconds and was not able to kill it. I had to pull the battery.
    I wonder if one of these programs like email or calendar freezes if that's not what also stops the Sprite from performing on schedule. ???
    I'm no expert but it sounds like your PIM databases might be corrupt. Do they sync OK?

Your theory sounds correct to me. The way I understand it, sprite does shut down programs before making a backup and if it can't shut them down then it cant make a backup.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    my idea did not work! I woke up this morning. The alarm did not work. The reminders from the calendar did not work. Treo Alert was not alerting. The Sprite backup did not work. The phone was stuck on the email program. I went into tasks to kill it - would not kill. Just got that spinning wheel - spinning and spinning. Did not download anymore emails. just STUCK - again.
    It was not running anything before I went to sleep. I'm starting to give up on this.
    After pulling the battery I rescheduled the Sprite backup to run at 8:50 AM and it ran ok. By the way I went to sleep at 12:30 last night so I don't think that it's the 12:00 AM notification bug.
    I hate to say this, but gAlarm didn't go off today due to a problem with notifications.

The only difference in my setup (for almost a month now) is with TA.

Hopefully this is just a fluke...
    Well so far doing the reccomended reg hack seems to be working. Alarm and Sprite Backup seem to be happy again. Its only been one day tho time will tell. Anyway thanks for the help!!!
    TA got uninstalled.

I continued to have notification issues, so I switched to nLED, and the notification issues seemed to go away, but programs started crashing (messaging would crash).

Not sure what's causing it, but it seems centered around the LED.
  10.    #750  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    TA got uninstalled.

I continued to have notification issues, so I switched to nLED, and the notification issues seemed to go away, but programs started crashing (messaging would crash).

Not sure what's causing it, but it seems centered around the LED.
    Did you soft reset after switching to NLED? Thinking the device might be in a bad state. I myself have switched back to usung NLED and haven't had any issues since.

The driver that TreoLED uses seems unstable and is affecting other parts of the OS.
    Well, I uninstalled Pocket Express yesterday afternoon and the phone has been stable. The Sprite backup worked last night! Treo Alert was working!!And the notifications seemed to be working properly. The phone was working this morning. I was reading messages and received a phone call. Until now that always froze messaging and I would need to kill messaging in Task Manager. Well, it did freeze for a little but came back to life before I had a chance to kill it.
    I don't think Pocket Express did all that havoc. Maybe it's something on how the system memory was being used that caused the problem. My next move was going to be to install the next Treo Alert version that let's me use NLED. I still have the version of TA before that option. I have also been thinking of Hard reset but I think I'll wait for now and see how long it stays stable. Would I also need to turn off the screen saver? I like that feature so I can see the time. Treo Alert is not the problem here. It's a victim of these Windows Mobile problems.
    Hannip - I appreciate your work on Treo Alert. When my kids hear the reminder tone on my phone they call out "EMAIL PENDING!" I hope I'm not pestering you but will you be working on some of those enhancements that we talked about?
    1. For Treo Alert to be in charge of the initial alert as well, not just the
    reminder alerts and to include a voice reminder for that initial alert? Then
    I can turn off the Sounds and Notifications and completely use Treo Alert.
    2. To include alerts and voice alerts for Calendar and Alarm clock reminders?
    3. You said you might try to investigate if Alarm clock reminders could be
    independent of Calendar reminders. This is not as important as the others.

Thanks so much.
    Quote Originally Posted by hannip View Post
    Did you soft reset after switching to NLED? Thinking the device might be in a bad state. I myself have switched back to usung NLED and haven't had any issues since.

The driver that TreoLED uses seems unstable and is affecting other parts of the OS.
    I did. My issues with notifications persist even after switching, so I'm thinking that TreoLED is really messing some stuff up here.

Hard reset, here I come.

(No biggie, I've hard reset so many times testing my own stuff that I can be fully setup in less than 30 minutes.)
    I did. My issues with notifications persist even after switching, so I'm thinking that TreoLED is really messing some stuff up here.

Hard reset, here I come.

(No biggie, I've hard reset so many times testing my own stuff that I can be fully setup in less than 30 minutes.)
    You might try running MemMaid first. See my post your Notification Bug thread. http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...0&postcount=12
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    btw, I posted this in the other thread for TA and perhaps I should PM Hannip but...

When I download the latest version of TA it says RC3 and not GM in the about box...anyone else?

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by hannip View Post

Bummer, if the majority of people are all running into issues, you may want to pull out TreoLED. FWIW, I'm still using the color support and I haven't hit this problem yet.

If I can get a chunk of time to work on this, I'll look into bypassing the driver.

Hard reset, here I come.

Just to clarify, TreoLED is not 'messing' with some stuff, lol.

It makes an API call to set the LED blink state and indirectly calls the driver with an ioctl. You can thank Palm for the instability...
    Quote Originally Posted by zbop View Post
    You can thank Palm for the instability...
    Or you for $&#@ with it.
    Or you for $&#@ with it.
    Yeah, well if everyone ONLY ran what Palm gave them, we'd still be using 128DPI now wouldn't we.

Feel free to fix this one yourself, I won't be offended.
    zbop, you know I still love you.

And I'll pass. I /bow to your vast knowledge on this one.

(Besides, I always wish someone else would fix my bugs so I'd stop feeling guilty about not fixing them myself. )