Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24
  1.    #1  
    So I have the dreaded "crackling" of my rear speaker that others have mentioned, but curiously has not turned up in any reviews.

    For myself at least, I can confirm it has something to do with either software I installed or modifications...not sure yet ;-)

    I encourage those with problems to do a backup with Sprite and give your device a hard reset (remove the battery, hold in the red button and replace battery...as the Palm screen loads, release the red button).

    After a hard reset? Speaker was fine.

    After the restore? Speaker was crackly.

    Anyone else confirm?

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  2. #2  
    its not the hardware for sure... mp3s sound perfect though it.
  3. #3  
    I've made several registry changes and added software, my speaker sounds fine so far.
  4. Cel
    Cel is offline
    Cel's Avatar
    Posts
    248 Posts
    Global Posts
    290 Global Posts
    #4  
    I've cracked the mystery...

    It's the wifi. It interferes with the speaker, the handset, and bluetooth. Turn it off and I bet your crackling disappears.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cel View Post
    I've cracked the mystery...

    It's the wifi. It interferes with the speaker, the handset, and bluetooth. Turn it off and I bet your crackling disappears.
    Wow, you are quick, I tested with same result here.
  6. #6  
    "You can use many other applications on your Treo while holding a phone conversation, including the organizer and Messaging features. However, to browse the Web or check email during a call, you must connect to a Wi-Fi network."

    From 800W users manual, so much for that idea...
  7. #7  
    Maybe everyone is having a seperate issue but I can say for certain that one of my 800s sound better than the other. I just hard reset the worse of the two with no improvement.

    Im speaking in terms of the external speaker- phone quality they are essentially the same.
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
  8. #8  
    I keep WiFi off and my speaker still sounds terrible.

    Mal, I'll try a hard reset and check the speaker phone when I get a chance today. I'll report back then.
    Last edited by Malachi; 07/15/2008 at 01:26 PM.
  9. okashira's Avatar
    Posts
    36 Posts
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    #9  
    Nope, Disabling the wifi, hard reset have no effect on the speakerphone quality. mabye its cause resetting lowers the volume?

    speakerphone sounds phone at mid-low volume levels, depending on the source.

    I have two 800w's here. One from a sprint store, one shipped from Telesales.

    I've been comparing them side by side.

    Both present the exact same issue with speakerphone crackling/blown speaker effect at decent volume levels.

    Both exhibit it to the same degree, after a hard reset.

    I dialed *0 to on both phones one after a another several times to play the same automated message on speakerphone at different volume levels. both phone have the same problem...
  10. Cel
    Cel is offline
    Cel's Avatar
    Posts
    248 Posts
    Global Posts
    290 Global Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by okashira View Post
    Nope, Disabling the wifi, hard reset have no effect on the speakerphone quality. mabye its cause resetting lowers the volume?

    speakerphone sounds phone at mid-low volume levels, depending on the source.

    I have two 800w's here. One from a sprint store, one shipped from Telesales.

    I've been comparing them side by side.

    Both present the exact same issue with speakerphone crackling/blown speaker effect at decent volume levels.

    Both exhibit it to the same degree, after a hard reset.

    I dialed *0 to on both phones one after a another several times to play the same automated message on speakerphone at different volume levels. both phone have the same problem...

    With Wifi off? I'm having a hard time believing that's not the problem considering it consistently turns my speaker into rice crispies.

    Maybe there is other software that does it to... Maybe the gps?
  11. okashira's Avatar
    Posts
    36 Posts
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    #11  
    Yes, with wifi off, immediatly after hard resets on both phones.

    I will play with GPS and Wifi and see if I can get them to affect SP quality later.
  12. #12  
    Did a hard reset, still sounded terrible before installing anything.

    Mal, when you say "crackly" do you mean like a blown speaker? That's what mine sounds like, but ONLY on speakerphone. ALL other sounds thru the speaker sound just fine.
  13. SpriteGF's Avatar
    Posts
    50 Posts
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    #13  
    I will say, it's not just speakerphone. Even when I play MIDI ringtones, I hear a crackling/static noise coming through the speakers.
  14. JackStorm's Avatar
    Posts
    14 Posts
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    #14  
    Yesterday I picked up my Treo 800w at the Sprint Store and immediately made a call on speakerphone. Sounded awful. I was very disappointed but MP3 files sounded perfect. The phone calls sounded as if the speaker was blown out.

    I then had a problem where the 800w was not holding a charge and eventually the battery drained leaving me with no power. Today I exchanged my Treo for another and though I was glad to have the charging problem fixed... I was hoping that the speakerphone situation improved. Two in a row with the same problem... each from different stores. Hmmmm..

    I asked a Palm tech through chat about it and he claims he's never heard of that problem. But yet I come here and see the number of complaints. I think we have a problem here folks!

    Oh and by the way... the WiFi was off... didn't seem to effect the speakerphone quality whatsoever.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lepricon View Post
    Did a hard reset, still sounded terrible before installing anything.

    Mal, when you say "crackly" do you mean like a blown speaker? That's what mine sounds like, but ONLY on speakerphone. ALL other sounds thru the speaker sound just fine.
    yeah, mine was pops and crackles...regardless of volume or media

    So far, it's much better in the sense that I don't have those anymore (after the hard reset), but if you turn it up loud enough, it does get distorted--that's a separate issue from what I originally meant in this thread. *

    The rear speaker is the one big disappointment here on this device--though luckily I rarely use speaker phone and my alerts sound fine right now.

    btw, Wifi was never on during this time
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    From what I've been told, volume & quality was a big complaint during beta testing.

    Palm addressed the "volume" issue by making it louder but in turn, the quality went down. Basically the rear speaker is just not good enough to handle the range and volume of a standard smartphone these days--so, poor choice by Palm on engineering with that speaker.

    * In hindsight, I wonder if turning on Pocket Tunes "volume amplifier" did it--having an effect system wide. Hmmm...

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    yeah, mine was pops and crackles...regardless of volume or media

    So far, it's much better in the sense that I don't have those anymore (after the hard reset), but if you turn it up loud enough, it does get distorted--that's a separate issue from what I originally meant in this thread.
    Sorry, I saw your thread and just jumped to the conclusion that you were referring to the distortion.

    I have no pops or crackles. Other than distortion the speaker is just fine.

    Hope that they fix that someway.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lepricon View Post
    Sorry, I saw your thread and just jumped to the conclusion that you were referring to the distortion.

    I have no pops or crackles. Other than distortion the speaker is just fine.

    Hope that they fix that someway.
    np...wasn't chastising you lol

    It may seem a fine line between the two--though if you heard these pops...eww.

    Anyways, outside of flat out replacing the speaker, there really is no hope on making any of this better

    It's a shame since so many small flip phones these days really pump out audio--it's a travesty to have audio quality below par on such a device.

    Having said that...using headphones and PTunes I find the audio much, much richer sounding than my 700w. So internally, it's fine.

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  18. #18  
    Im wondering if there might not be a registry fix for this. It sounds to me like the amplifier is being overloaded, versus the speaker itself distorting- there is distrotion coming from the speaker- but the fact that some things sound okay and other dont makes me think the speakerphone has a seperate DSP or input buffer that is getting to much voltage and is overloading the amplifier driving the speaker.

    I recall something very similar occuring when the 650 was first released. You literally could not talk on the thing. It took palm a few months to issue a fix.

    I absolutely love my 800, it is everything I wanted but I have to admit this is a little dissapointing.
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
  19. #19  
    Dunno, but I've been using my phone a lot. Call quality seems fine. I do have to turn down the volume when using speakerphone to just 1 notch cuz it's so loud that it overmodulates the speaker. Even at 1 notch it's plenty loud to hear the other person and sounds good unless they speak really loud.

    hmm, you think PocketTunes might be messing things up? I haven't installed it yet. Not sure I want to now.
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by hannip View Post
    hmm, you think PocketTunes might be messing things up? I haven't installed it yet. Not sure I want to now.
    no, I have it re-installed now and everything is fine...

    Just in hindsight, I remember setting it to "amp" up the volume and I forgot to uncheck it last night when doing my testing. Although I did uninstall it without resolution, so perhaps it's changing something in the registry...

    Or it could have just been a random gremlin.

    But...PTunes is awesome on the 800w. I still recommend it.

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions