Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    Ok here we go I got suckered into getting the instinct(pos) before that i had a 755p traded that phone in for instink! Need to return so i can have all the smartphone capablites that im used to back. Please give me some pros and cons of both no bashing either phone just and unbiased reviews please. I can buy a mogul righ now for 240 no contract or the 800w for 249 w/contract. Ive never really considered a mogul before. Ive also never a had a winmo phone either. The only features on the instink i really like are the gps live search and vvm the media player is nice and the fact it supports up to 8 gig card is nice. I really miss the threaded sms text on my 755p loved that. SO FOR THE MONEY AND ALL THE OTHER STUFF I MENTIONED WHICH WOULD YOU RECOMEND???
    They have the same core functionality (wifi, WM6, RevA, GPS, etc), so I think it pretty much comes down to your form factor preference. I played with a Mogul for a couple weeks and decided to wait for the 800w, I just prefer the front-facing keyboard so I don't have to keep sliding the keyboard in and out.

Mogul pros:
    - bigger keys may be easier to type on for some
    - bigger screen *although lower-resolution
    - 240x320 screen is a long-established standard on Windows Mobile, unlike the Treo's 320x320 which is newer and currently incompatible with many apps
    - apparently better battery life than Treo

Treo pros:
    - Easy silencer switch
    - Better designed for one-handed use
    - Apparently faster/snappier than Mogul
    Get the Treo. I'm so glad to be rid of my Mogul. This isn't even a competition.
    i500 --> 6700 --> 6800 --> 800w
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    The biggest issue I had with the mogul was the 5way. It sits at the bottom of the phone and is more difficult to hold the phone and use it with one hand. I'm not saying it can't be done but it is much easier to use a phone with the 5way sitting in the middle of the device instead of the bottom.

Even though the keyboard is bigger and wider I found it a little more difficult to type because I had to stretch at times to reach keys.
    Quote Originally Posted by WinterXtreme View Post
    Get the Treo. I'm so glad to be rid of my Mogul. This isn't even a competition.
    The Mogul is a flawed phone, inherently. If you can trust me, you want the Treo 700wx before the Mogul, even.

1. Slider phones are not as convenient to use, but there are strong supporters of slide-out keyboards, but my opinion is that it's just awkward. You almost have too many options, too many buttons, and you just get confused sometimes. You have to slide out the keyboard to enter in one letter or hit the "delete" key. (Although you could hit the left arrow on the 5 way d-pad, but again, but when you have the keyboard open, you have two choices. I could never get a rhythm down, if that makes any sense.)
    2. The Mogul is slow and there is no denying this. Not just a little slow, but very slow. There is absolutely nothing you can do about this, period. There's simply not enough ram and no palm optimizations.
    3. Many of the screens have a white dot at the bottom left hand side.
    4. The keys are bigger on the mogul, but the placement of things is weirder than the treo. I can type far faster on the treo than on the Mogul. Logically laid out buttons is much more important than size.

That said, I'm selling my mogul now :> You want it?
    The biggest problem with the Mogul is the low amount of ram (64MB) compared to the Treo's 128MB.

I constantly find myself restarting and manually ending applications on the Mogul. I never had to do this on my 700wx.

I'm trying to get a 800w to replace my Mogul now.
    Aside from the differences in form factor, here's what I see as the main selling points for each device after using both of them.

Mogul Pros:
    - physically bigger screen
    - even though it is only 320x240, it still fits more information on it than the Treo 800w's 320x320 LCD
    - no application incompatibility (uses a common WM resolution)
    - brighter screen than 800w
    - bigger battery than 800w
    - faster processor than 800w (though the 800w still feels snappier IMO, not sure if this will still be the case though once I load all my programs on the 800w)
    - flash for the camera (useful as a flashlight)

800w's Pros:
    - More RAM than Mogul (Mogul has a RAM issue so this is huge)
    - better one-handed operation than Mogul
    - Palm's WM tweaks (too many to list but they are really nice)
    Last edited by Marty1781; 07/15/2008 at 09:43 AM.
    PDAPhoneHome Moderator
    Global Posts
    760 Global Posts
    Mogul is memory crippled and maddeningly slow to use. Mine lasted 3 months till I couldn't take it any more. I then switched to Centro till 800 W came out.
    I have both devices. The Mogul though crippled with low memory like mentioned with daily maintenance isn't all that bad. I have about 21mb of RAM remaining, not much compared to the Treo but it's still pretty snappy.

The feature list on both devices are the same other than memory. The screen, camera, battery and wifi are better on the Mogul for sure. The keyboard, one handed use and memory better on the Treo. Comes down to form factor after this.
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    Why do you say the Mogul's wifi is better? Better range, easier to use? I've never used either phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by dave75 View Post
    Why do you say the Mogul's wifi is better? Better range, easier to use? I've never used either phone.
    Obviously this is a treo fanboy forum, but I'd imagine that the wifi is similar. The RAM issue to me is clearly a major, major problem. Run Windows vista with 1 gb of ram and that's what I think the mogul feels like. I think that the inability to quickly rotate the screen when the keyboard is slid out is a source of some of the undeniable slowness of the mogul. I went back to my 700wx for just one evening and was shocked at how much faster it was than the mogul.

The touch pro is maybe what you want if you are still enticed by the mogul despite these comments. It *should* rotate faster and definitely has enough memory, but I am starting to believe that these palm optimizations really are a big deal here.
    I switch from a Mogul to the 800w and the HUGE thing is speed of the interface and how fast programs open on the 800w. The Mogul was just slow. Plus the build quality on the Mogul wasn't great. I've had 3 of them because buttons would just stop working. Each one of those had the dreaded "white spot" problem on the screen. It starts with one white spot and will eventually go to four white spots.

The Mogul seems more unstable and buggy than the 800w so far.

The Pros for the mogul are the bigger screen and the bigger keyboard. The slideout was a pain though.
    I just got my 800w. Physically, it's about the same size as the Mogul...but I can't believe how much smaller it feels in my hands. I think it's the curved bottom?!?
    Quote Originally Posted by dave75 View Post
    My Linksys router is in my guest house which is about 60 feet away from my family room. When Im on the couch surfing the web my Mogul seems much faster and stable with wifi over the Treo. Could be just a fluke though. I will do more research.

The screen difference is huge though. Mogul obviously .3 inches larger but its much more bright than the Treo. Again battery life much better on the Mogul since its 1590mah vs 1150mah.

I do like them both a lot. Wish the Treo had better 3rd party app support for the screen. I know in time that will come. Probably keep them both and bounce back and forth since giving the wife my Q9C.
    I agree- If the 800w doesn't work out, I'd go back to the wx, not the pathetic RAM-stripped Mogul.
    The Mogul can take an 1800mAh slim battery which just kills the 800w for battery life. DCD's newest custom ROM makes the Mogul quite fast, though still not as fast as the 800w.

Seems like everyone is forgetting about the perfect GPS on the Mogul vs. the flawed GPS on the 800w. If you use GPS often, the Mogul is much better. It works instantly with Live Search and other software like TomTom or iGuidance (no priming needed) and also works in Flight Mode.
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    The Mogul can take an 1800mAh slim battery which just kills the 800w for battery life. DCD's newest custom ROM makes the Mogul quite fast, though still not as fast as the 800w.

Seems like everyone is forgetting about the perfect GPS on the Mogul vs. the flawed GPS on the 800w. If you use GPS often, the Mogul is much better. It works instantly with Live Search and other software like TomTom or iGuidance (no priming needed) and also works in Flight Mode.
    really? It would sometimes take me 10-15 minutes to get a GPS fix on my Mogul.
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    I don't think the GPS is necessarily flawed. I think there is a lot of erroneous information out there and people using the wrong settings. In theory the 800w's GPS should be as good, if not better than the Mogul's.

Remember, you're going to hear probably every possible problem people have on a forum like this but you won't hear much on the good. I'm sure the GPS works fine just like the Mogul's in most cases.
    I waited with bated breath for the Mogul to come out. After a few months of use I wanted to chuck it off a building. I tried a Treo 700wx and found it wayyyy more enjoyable to use. My 800w is on the UPS truck, scheduled to arrive any minute.

In the last two days as an experiment, I switched back to my Mogul and updated it to WM 6.1 just to see if I would enjoy it any more than I did previously. These have been the worst two days phone-wise since my first attempt to use that. It's such a piece of junk compared to the Treos. Among the many reasons are most of what others have said:

- Between the lower-edge D-pad and the slider keyboard, you have to have full concentration and both hands to type "ok" and hit send to reply to a simple text message. Soooo freaking annoying.

- The phone is retarded slow. Freshly formatted with WM 6.1 and no applications, it's still retarded slow. Custom roms dont help much, its just the lack of ram. I use WMIRC and on the Treo 700wx I can launch it once, connect to my IRC server and be on for days. On the Mogul, if I launch WMIRC, connect and then launch just about any other application, WMIRC closes due to low memory. Its just complete ignorance.

- All throughout the days of WM 6.0 the stupid Mogul's alarms would not go off reliably. Even if they might have gone off, it was literally about a 2/3 chance of making it through the night without freezing up just sitting on my bedside table. My wife was literally begging me to get a new phone because it was so unreliable to receive calls on. WM 6.1 didn't fix it. In two days I had one alarm not go off and after loading digg.com in PIE, the entire OS went nuts and half the Today screen was mangled pixels even after the PIE process was killed.

- There's no hardware ringer switch. Total deal killer for me now. You dont know how many times I've turned off the ringer only to have it automatically come back on and ring in the middle of a meeting on the Mogul. Not one worry ever on the Treo.

- I used to tell others the Mogul just makes a good "media" device but a lousy phone. Now I can't even say that. It's 320x240 and not really comfortable or easy to hold sideways, so big deal. Get an iPod or an iPhone if you are seriously going to watch craploads of content on a 2 inch screen. Whatever 1% better "media player" the Mogul is, is entirely erased when it takes literally 45 seconds of sluggish screen repainting to toggle screen rotation and make it to the phone app just to dial a damn number. I have literally had calls go to voicemail because the phone wouldnt register my "answer" button press quick enough. That just makes you want to stop on the device after the first time or two.

Anyway. Treo owners need to be appreciative of the relatively minor and subtle, non-groundbreaking, yet very nice differences that Palm has made to WM and their hardware to make it about the most usable experience one can expect to have with the trash that is Windows Mobile OS. If you want to see what all bling and no usability is, buy a Mogul.
    Quote Originally Posted by govtcheez View Post
    really? It would sometimes take me 10-15 minutes to get a GPS fix on my Mogul.
    10 seconds at the very most and usually under 5 seconds for me.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast