Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by bluemonq View Post
    OK, if there's such a big brouhaha over the GPS thing, why doesn't someone just... call Palm up and call them out over the issue?
    there actually isn't...

There's the detractors like nxsprime who's making it out to be this huge fatal flaw (though I don't know if he even has the device), then there's like 1 or 2 people who said they want this feature...

Then there's just the rest of us who love the 10 seconds location acquisition and just use the device.

So it's not a problem or issue as far as I can tell.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Well, I'm not the camping type (or travel abroad type, either) so it's not a big deal for me, but if this thing doesn't get settled before I swap phones, I'll make the big sacrifice and call them
    Between the poor call quality, GPS bugs, dialing bugs, poor battery life, poor LCD brightness and lack of 320x320 compatible apps, I'm leaning towards returning my 800w for a refund. The Mogul just does so many things better than the 800w.

I love the build quality of the 800w and the extra RAM, but Palm and their beta-tester monkeys really laid an egg with this one.
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    Between the poor call quality, GPS bugs, dialing bugs, poor battery life, poor LCD brightness and lack of 320x320 compatible apps, I'm leaning towards returning my 800w for a refund. The Mogul just does so many things better than the 800w.

I love the build quality of the 800w and the extra RAM, but Palm and their beta-tester monkeys really laid an egg with this one.
    And I'm completely opposite:
    • GPS is better than fine, it's great
    • No dialing bugs
    • Call quality is adequate (no better/worse than the Mogul)
    • Battery life is sufficient
    • LCD is certainly bright enough (I keep it at 4 or 5 inside)
    • Only have one app (Slingbox) that is not compatible

Plus it's faster and easier to use than any other WM device out there, especially with all the shortcuts.

That's why the user needs to try and evaluate themselves. Either way, the OP went for the Centro which is another solid device that the user will enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    And I'm completely opposite:
    • GPS is better than fine, it's great
    • No dialing bugs
    • Call quality is adequate (no better/worse than the Mogul)
    • Battery life is sufficient
    • LCD is certainly bright enough (I keep it at 4 or 5 inside)
    • Only have one app (Slingbox) that is not compatible

Plus it's faster and easier to use than any other WM device out there, especially with all the shortcuts.

That's why the user needs to try and evaluate themselves. Either way, the OP went for the Centro which is another solid device that the user will enjoy.
    You should try not being such a fanboy and do a fair comparison.

You agree that the GPS is better on the Mogul.
    You certainly have the dialing bug because it's present in all of the phones. Palm has confirmed this.
    Battery life is much worse than the Mogul because the Mogul takes an 1800mAh battery.
    LCD is dimmer than the Mogul at full brightness.
    There are no apps that are incompatible with the Mogul while there are numerous apps that won't run on the 800w.

You can chose what you want but you sound very silly making such blatantly thin arguments.

You certainly have the dialing bug because it's present in all of the phones. Palm has confirmed this.
    Battery life is much worse than the Mogul because the Mogul takes an 1800mAh battery.
    There are no apps that are incompatible with the Mogul while there are numerous apps that won't run on the 800w.

You can chose what you want but you sound very silly making such blatantly thin arguments.
    You put words in my mouth...
    • I don't agree GPS is "better" on the Mogul as I have no need for TomTom or standalone
    • What is this dialing bug? If I haven't noticed it, must not be much of an issue
    • I don't use my device enough to warrant the extended battery yet
    • LCD is fine for me, hence why I have it set at 4 or 5. How is the Mogul being "brighter" better when I don't use or need it?
    • I only have one incompatible app

Fact is...

Mogul
    • has pathetic amount of RAM
    • BT is mediocre
    • Slideouts are non-efficient and a hassle
    • It's un-ergonomic with too many buttons
    • It's hideous looking
    • It's slower than the 800w

Nxsprime, sorry...I used the Mogul and don't like it. I think it's a terrible, awful device that made me want to hurl it against the wall and I think HTC is a mediocre company (who happens to put out a lot of devices).

Nothing you will say will change my experience and opinion on it, so stop acting like you can "win" this subjective debate. It's really lame.

One could call you a "Mogul fanboy" just the same and it would still be a cheap shot and a poor substitute for an argument. After all, you're trolling around the 800w forum constantly berating the 800w and lauding the Mogul...

what is this dialing bug that you speak of?
    You put words in my mouth...

Nothing you will say will change my experience and opinion on it, so stop acting like you can "win" this subjective debate. It's really lame.

One could call you a "Mogul fanboy" just the same and it would still be a cheap shot and a poor substitute for an argument. After all, you're trolling around the 800w forum constantly berating the 800w and lauding the Mogul...
    Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaammmnn.........

And you should try and understand that his opinions are just that - his opinions.

If the GPS is great on the Treo (enough for him to be satisfied), then the fact that Mogul's GPS is even better isn't important to him.
    Full brightness on the Mogul could be brighter than full brightness on Treo, but if partial brightness on the Treo is enough for him, then the extra brightness doesn't matter.
    I don't think anyone would believe that when he said "only one app is incompatible" he meant out of all the apps in existence. I immediately interpreted that as out of the apps that he uses. Well, at least I *didn't* think that earlier...

That leaves the dialing bug and battery issues. Mind you, the three points addressed are all pretty subjective: opinions on brightness, use of GPS, and software used. Notice that Mal started out with, "And I'm completely opposite." That's why I agree with his closing remarks: "That's why the user needs to try and evaluate themselves."

There's no need to resort to calling people fanboys, especially over opinions. If that's how you feel, just shake your head and be thankful that you didn't drink the kool-aid.
    Nxsprime, sorry...I used the Mogul and don't like it. I think it's a terrible, awful device that made me want to hurl it against the wall and I think HTC is a mediocre company (who happens to put out a lot of devices).
    I was under the impression that HTC manufactured the Treo for Palm?
    I just upgraded from the Mogul to the 800w.
    The 800w is so much faster than the Mogul both from a pure processor speed and usability. (Yes I was running faster tweaked firmware on the Mogul).

Very glad I upgraded.

Tom
    Quote Originally Posted by bluemonq View Post
    I was under the impression that HTC manufactured the Treo for Palm?
    They made some of the 700 series (purely on an OEM basis, not ODM)--so Palm engineered the device, chose the parts and had final say on build quality etc. HTC just provided the resources.

Having said that, it's not clear who makes the 800w. Inventec was mentioned as they are group who supposedly makes the Centro too.

Regardless, Palm has different standards than HTC (either less or more, not judging for this post) and so how the device is engineered is slightly different than just the assembly line end.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123