Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I would have had the 800W is it would have came out earlier. I am now with the blackberry curve.

Has anyone got the 800w that came from the blackberry. Why do you think it better?

Cody
    My Avatar = This guy walks 12 miles a day just to charge his cell phone. Link Here
    If you want to buy me lunch... click here
    PDA's I've owned/used in order... nextel i930, BB 7100i, PPC-6700 (apache), treo 700p, PPC-6700, treo 700wx, PPC-6800 (mogul), PPC-6900 (touch), treo 755p, PPC-6900 (touch), BB 8130 (Pearl),PPC-6800 (mogul), BB 8330 (Curve) Diamond, treo 800w, Touch Pro, BB 8330 (Curve), Treo 800w, Treo Pro
  2. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Any modren Treo is better than any modern BB. Just my thoughts.

I am a serious BB hater, so take what I say with a grain of salt.
    Well I was just on the fence trying to decide between the curve and the 800w. I'm a long time Palm user and admittedly pretty much a NOOB when it comes to WM or BB. The deciding factor for me was the fact that sprint would get me for another $30 per month for a Blackberry data plan. There was no wiggle room there because they claim they have to pay RIM for the bandwidth. Also the best retentions could do on the curve was $250. I was able to get them down to $150 on the 800w and no increase in my monthly bill.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    I have a BB WE 8830 for work, and also played with the curve.

IMO, I do think that a Treo is better than a BB. Touchscreen, WM software, WiFi being the main reasons.

My work BB is on Verizon, which means the GPS is crippled out of the box, so that is a HUGE sticking point with me.
    Global Posts
    253 Global Posts
    I've got the 800W but I am *considering* the Curve. Most Treo users I've spoke with who went from Palm to Blackberry say they're glad they made the switch. What are your thoughts on the Curve?
    Quote Originally Posted by codyppc View Post
    I would have had the 800W is it would have came out earlier. I am now with the blackberry curve.

Has anyone got the 800w that came from the blackberry. Why do you think it better?

Cody
    A. Your a phone addict and will without a doubt buy the 800w.

B. Unless you have 10 different email accounts to manage the treo is better imo.

C. The treo is also cheaper as there is no required BB plan.

"A" seems to be most compelling.
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG View Post
    Any modren Treo is better than any modern BB. Just my thoughts.

I am a serious BB hater, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

lol tht was mad funny...
  8.    #8  
    I know there are a lot of bb haters here. And there are just as many wm haters in the bb forums. I am wanting some replies from people who have used both.

I really don't want/need to start a blackberry vs windows mobile thread. There are plenty of those already.

I don't know if I would call either the curve or the 800w modren. They are both a year old.
    My Avatar = This guy walks 12 miles a day just to charge his cell phone. Link Here
    PDA's I've owned/used in order... nextel i930, BB 7100i, PPC-6700 (apache), treo 700p, PPC-6700, treo 700wx, PPC-6800 (mogul), PPC-6900 (touch), treo 755p, PPC-6900 (touch), BB 8130 (Pearl),PPC-6800 (mogul), BB 8330 (Curve) Diamond, treo 800w, Touch Pro, BB 8330 (Curve), Treo 800w, Treo Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidJ View Post
    I've got the 800W but I am *considering* the Curve. Most Treo users I've spoke with who went from Palm to Blackberry say they're glad they made the switch. What are your thoughts on the Curve?
    lol i am trying to do the exact opposite... lets trade!
  10.    #10  
    I am not looking for an os comparision thread. Device to device.

The blackberry is VERY stable and has awesome battery life.

Altho. The blackberries don't do everything like wm devices. I always like how palm added there little tweeks to the os.

What tweeks to 6.1 does anyone see that might have came from another 6.1 device?
    I know there are a lot of bb haters here. And there are just as many wm haters in the bb forums. I am wanting some replies from people who have used both.

I really don't want/need to start a blackberry vs windows mobile thread. There are plenty of those already.

I don't know if I would call either the curve or the 800w modren. They are both a year old.
    yeah cody i'll be real with you .. but im am seriously considering this phone the only thing that is stopping me is getting a good deal on it, i don't want to pay 600!
    I thought the Curve was pretty sweet, but compared to the 800w it's SLOW (in terms of connection speeds). Navigation was painfully slow where I was, as was Pocket Express and just plain surfing the web.

If the Curve comes with Wifi and Rev-A in the future then I think they're both comparable - sweet phones with great OS's, but I personally prefer WM over BB...

I thought the BB looked "cooler" but the 800w definitely has a more solid feel to it. The back of the BB seemed way too cheap and flimsy. And while I loved the trackball on the BB, with all the shortcut buttons everywhere on the 800w I can actually navigate the phone just as quickly.

Finally, for me, I would have had to pay an extra $30/month just for the BB pack, so it definitely wasn't worth an extra $720 over two years for a phone that was as best, just as good as the treo (but not quite).

One more thing.. the BB's screen was way better, but then again it wasn't a touch-screen.

Quote Originally Posted by badboy8813 View Post
    lol i am trying to do the exact opposite... lets trade!
  13.    #13  
    i really think the touch screen thing is over-rated. everyone wants a touch screen, but them complains about having to use the stylus to do something.

the battery life on touchscreen devices is crazy. you guys would freek out if you knew how much battery life the blackberries have.

i liked how the newer versions of wm allowed things like "go to gloder" with out having to pull out the stylus.
    Honestly Cody your gonna hate the battery life on the 800w. I love BB's and WM devices because I've had both, but hands down a BB will always have better battery life.

Like 800w4me, I feel that both Curve & 800w are pretty similar when it comes to specs (minus Rev-A & WiFi) and functionality. I mean you can always get the 800w and switch to the Bold when ever that comes out lol.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by untouchablez View Post
    Honestly Cody your gonna hate the battery life on the 800w. I love BB's and WM devices because I've had both, but hands down a BB will always have better battery life.

Like 800w4me, I feel that both Curve & 800w are pretty similar when it comes to specs (minus Rev-A & WiFi) and functionality. I mean you can always get the 800w and switch to the Bold when ever that comes out lol.
    i cant. see i had free powervision with the windows mobile devices. when i went to blackberry i lost that. it took a long time to get the data plan i got now. BES, unlimited sms, sprint navigation, sprint tv, all for free. that over $60 worth of data. that makes the blackberry easy to like in my opinion.

now i can get the bold, pearl, curve, ect and swicth fairly easy. if i got a wm device i would have to get ride of everything that i have now and get the powervision pack. i would not be able to go back to blackberry.

right now the blackberry is doing great. not one reset. not one crash. i got the pearl in febuary and the curve in may. i may not have streaming radio, slingbox, M$ office, tv remote control, pretty customizable today screen. i do have a phone that is very easy to use and last all day for sure.

to each his own i guess. i will be back in windows mobile land agian some day. i just dont think the treo 800w is going to be the one. i will still watch the boards. you never know.

one good thing and one bad thing. look at where palm and wm is going and look at blackberry. palm is stuck with the same old same old and bb is relasing the first flip phone and touch screen. i will never leave the treo style qwerty keyboard.

treo's will always have a speical place in my heart.

cody
    A year ago it was a no brainer for many since Blackberries cost $30 more a month. Over 24 months that is $600 to $800 more with tax for a lot of us with free or cheap EVDO from Sprint. In my case $1500 for our two smartphone lines.

That difference may decrease with the way Sprint is restructuring new plans but up until now I think net handset/service costs were why you tended to see Blackberries among people spending OPM, and Treo's among people paying their own way.

to each his own i guess. i will be back in windows mobile land agian some day. i just dont think the treo 800w is going to be the one. i will still watch the boards. you never know.

one good thing and one bad thing. look at where palm and wm is going and look at blackberry. palm is stuck with the same old same old and bb is relasing the first flip phone and touch screen. i will never leave the treo style qwerty keyboard.

treo's will always have a speical place in my heart.

cody
    i too am stuck in should i get it should i not mode... the difference is that i am not waiting on a bb, i am waiting on the htc touch pro (aka raphael). i have had fun getting my 2 year old 700wx performing in a manner i want. with the help of guys like you and others (too many to name) my 700wx had lots of apps to tweak and refine the device.

now the reason i am stuck... after sampling WM6 on my 700wx i am wanting the 800w because it has the o/s custom made for it, after looking over the spec sheet for the touch pro (or whatever it will be named) i see the phone that i have been clamoring for all along...

so... do i wait? i sure wish i had the patience and will power to do so!!!

btw... thanx again for all you have done helping to make the 700wx a better phone than palm did
    I switched from a Curve, but mainly because my employer is going to be moving away from their Blackberry server eventually. I am very happy with my choice.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by jcochran1977 View Post
    I switched from a Curve, but mainly because my employer is going to be moving away from their Blackberry server eventually. I am very happy with my choice.
    finally, someone who has come from the curve. please give some more details.

what do you miss at the curve?
    what do you really like about the 800w?
    if the choice was all up to you, would you have made the same choice? BIS or normal pull (wm mail).

thanks, cody
  20. ceb
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    ..and Iím always amazed how vastly different devices keep getting compared to one another.

The BB was intended and designed for corporate email. It was an email reader first and a phone second. It made a lousy phone.

The BB has evolved dramatically since it was discovered by the general public but it is still an email reader. The processors are slow, the screen resolution is so-so and it still isnít a terrific phone Ė we have 8830s and Curves in the office and they are invaluable for corporate email.

The Palm units evolved from a planner/mini PC and went from there. They donít make great phones either and arenít best suited for corporate email (unless your IT department has embraced them) but work nicely for personal email and have a wealth of productivity tools. The internet is much faster and works much better on the Palm units.

During normal operations, the BB will last a couple of days for just routine emailing Ė a day if used heavily.

Oddly enough, the BB will suck up juice a lot faster when in a place where there is no reception and will be dead in a half day if I forget to turn wireless off, while the 800 will be at half charge.

Using the calendar on a BB in painful but pretty easy on the 800. Obviously, the integration to MS Office tools is tighter with the 800.

The keyboard on the 800 is much better than the BB.

But, even if my IT folks would allow the Treo on the network Iíd still keep the BB for email as it does that so much better Ė as long as you donít have attachmentsÖ.
    Cheers

Charles
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast