Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    This is a lengthy post yet well worth the view .
    Blackberry or Palm gets very confusing to most but lets lay out the basics.
    Curve compared to 700wx being Ive owned both.

Faster OS
    Curve
    Treo

Very thin and looks increible
    Curve
    Treo

Battery Life
    Curve
    Treo

Phone /Speaker phone
    Curve
    Treo

Voice mail count shown
    Curve
    Treo

Faster Internet.
    Curve
    Treo

OS LED Color controls
    Curve
    Treo

Display with light sensor
    Curve
    Treo

App Choices
    Curve
    Treo

Threaded text Messaging apps /Palm releasing threaded in August
    Curve
    Treo

OS stocked mesaging choices
    Curve
    Treo

Sweet keyboards
    Curve
    Treo

No Soft Resets / Hard resets
    Curve
    Treo

Registry hacks like mort
    Curve
    Treo

One handed use / stylist needed
    Curve
    Treo

Now to the 800W.Sprint store manger let me use one for 3 hours today.
    3 hours isn't a long time yet basics were not hard to figure out.Ive also been viewing 800W forums for a couple days

Faster OS
    Curve
    Treo

Thin ,lite , and looks
    Curve
    Treo

Battery Life
    Curve
    Treo

Phone /Speaker phone
    Curve
    Treo

Voice mail count shown
    Curve
    Treo

WiFI rev A.
    Curve
    Treo

LED Color controls
    Curve
    Treo

Display with light sensor
    Curve
    Treo

App Choices
    Curve
    Treo

Threaded text Messaging apps / Curve releasing threaded in August
    Curve
    Treo

OS stock messaging choices
    Curve
    Treo

Sweet keyboards
    Curve
    Treo

OS that needs Soft Resets / Hard resets
    Curve
    Treo ?

Registry hacks like mort
    Curve
    Treo

One handed use / stylist needed
    Curve
    Treo

Now before you palm atics start ripping my post apart you can see by my post count I'm a big fan of Palm.
    I owned the 700wx well over a year ,I was into hack the reg building Mort apps with hannip and Cody so be gental.
    i just cant get over the extra 30.00 it will cost to do the exact same thing i can do on my 800w...and internet sucks on the bb devices....
    I must add
    I'm in full coverage REV A location.
    It was really odd that 800w seemed to stall out a few times thus giving me the feel of AT&T and T-moble edge network speeds .Im not sure if it was device or towers that it hitting yet Curve was just as fast / faster at times.WIFI on the 800w rocked!!!!
    Last edited by slingbox; 07/15/2008 at 03:34 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by gruppe3942 View Post
    i just cant get over the extra 30.00 it will cost to do the exact same thing i can do on my 800w...and internet sucks on the bb devices....
    Im on the simply everthing plan so if feel no 30 dollar pain.The Internet is pretty good on BB.There is HTML update that will be released in August as well as threaded text.
    Quote Originally Posted by jcochran1977 View Post
    I switched from a Curve, but mainly because my employer is going to be moving away from their Blackberry server eventually. I am very happy with my choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by codyppc View Post
    finally, someone who has come from the curve. please give some more details.

what do you miss at the curve?
    what do you really like about the 800w?
    if the choice was all up to you, would you have made the same choice? BIS or normal pull (wm mail).

thanks, cody
    This a Bump for jcochran1977 to reply.
    Thanks,
    Berd
    Just call me Berd.
    I recently got 2 BB devices (one with WiFi and one with GPS) and was using the Curve 8820 in few trips to overseas together with my Treo 750. (I don't have the Treo 800w. I expect Treo 800w is better than 750 in every aspects.)

Here is my experience.

1. I can't dial **131* + country code + phone number + # when using the BB. This string is provided by the telco, it allows me to call home country in overseas. I was not able to figure out how to make this kind of call by using BB.

2. I receive around 200 network related emails to inform me the network status and scheduled jobs status. The subject line states the status. The BB can only show half of the subject, as a result, I need to open each message.

3. I need to press 4 buttons to delete one message in BB, which is Menu then "D" then "Enter" then "Enter" again. For my WM6 Treo I only need "Delete" and "OK".

4. If I want to delete multiple messages not continuously, I can't do it in BB. I can only select emails in one block then delete it. If in-between, I have another email, such as the sent mail (very common as inbox and sent items are in one place) or other email , I have to do it 2 times.

5. All emails, Inbox and Sent Items are in one place. It is very diffcult to read as most of the time I only read inbox and delete the useless messages.

6. In term of the mail format, I need to read very carefully in order to know who are the reciptents. The mail format in WM is more easy to read because of different background color.

7. A lot of software are available in WM but not in BB. If I need to use it, I need to carry two devices.

8. For editing a message, if I make any mistakes, it is a pain to do the editing in BB. When I move the scroll ball too fast, it misses it and need to redo again. Typo is very common in a small device. I think this is very important. (Maybe I am not familiar with the scroll ball...)

I am not saying BB is bad. At least the form factor and the battery life are excellent. Besides, some other PDA features, such as Calendar and Task. BB is not as good as POS and WM. I really hope that a WM device with the same form factor and battery life as BB.
    Quote Originally Posted by GFONG View Post
    1. I can't dial **131* + country code + phone number + # when using the BB. This string is provided by the telco, it allows me to call home country in overseas. I was not able to figure out how to make this kind of call by using BB..
    I have no clue about that

2. I receive around 200 network related emails to inform me the network status and scheduled jobs status. The subject line states the status. The BB can only show half of the subject, as a result, I need to open each message..
    Theres a app that fixes that for 10.00 dollars if needed.

3. I need to press 4 buttons to delete one message in BB, which is Menu then "D" then "Enter" then "Enter" again. For my WM6 Treo I only need "Delete" and "OK"..
    I can delete mine in 2 click giving me the option to only delete in mailbox or just handheld.

4. If I want to delete multiple messages not continuously, I can't do it in BB. I can only select emails in one block then delete it. If in-between, I have another email, such as the sent mail (very common as inbox and sent items are in one place) or other email , I have to do it 2 times..
    There is a 7.00 app for that if needed.

5. All emails, Inbox and Sent Items are in one place. It is very diffcult to read as most of the time I only read inbox and delete the useless messages..
    The same app as above

6. In term of the mail format, I need to read very carefully in order to know who are the reciptents. The mail format in WM is more easy to read because of different background color..
    The app above fixes that as well giving you color control as well as LED light color choices for all message fields.

7. A lot of software are available in WM but not in BB. If I need to use it, I need to carry two devices..
    Very true,There are more apps for WM f,sure but as posted a few post back.The basics are more important to me.Battery life and phone call guilty make lots of money in my business.

8. For editing a message, if I make any mistakes, it is a pain to do the editing in BB. When I move the scroll ball too fast, it misses it and need to redo again. Typo is very common in a small device. I think this is very important. (Maybe I am not familiar with the scroll ball...).
    I disagree but heck it took you 4 clicks to delete email on BB which is very odd way of doing it.

I am not saying BB is bad. At least the form factor and the battery life are excellent. Besides, some other PDA features, such as Calendar and Task. BB is not as good as POS and WM. I really hope that a WM device with the same form factor and battery life as BB.
    I like WM app selection and that about it.So I must way the basic phone function to playing with apps all day.As seen in my signature you see my choice.
    Anyway I'm done laying out the Basic difference .There will be fans on both sides as it should be.
    Everyone will have a different opinion and this forum doesn't fit the bill.If mods will move thread to diffrent playground I will be more then happy to chat about topic.
    i cant. see i had free powervision with the windows mobile devices. when i went to blackberry i lost that. it took a long time to get the data plan i got now. BES, unlimited sms, sprint navigation, sprint tv, all for free. that over $60 worth of data. that makes the blackberry easy to like in my opinion.

now i can get the bold, pearl, curve, ect and swicth fairly easy. if i got a wm device i would have to get ride of everything that i have now and get the powervision pack. i would not be able to go back to blackberry.

right now the blackberry is doing great. not one reset. not one crash. i got the pearl in febuary and the curve in may. i may not have streaming radio, slingbox, M$ office, tv remote control, pretty customizable today screen. i do have a phone that is very easy to use and last all day for sure.

to each his own i guess. i will be back in windows mobile land agian some day. i just dont think the treo 800w is going to be the one. i will still watch the boards. you never know.

one good thing and one bad thing. look at where palm and wm is going and look at blackberry. palm is stuck with the same old same old and bb is relasing the first flip phone and touch screen. i will never leave the treo style qwerty keyboard.

treo's will always have a speical place in my heart.

cody

what you saying in a way is that Palm has lost! The Treo 800W is basically a super charged "Centro" with an oversized body. The unit feels good in hand better than my Motorola Q9c. Wish the Treo did not have a recessed screen and that it was thinner.
    Quote Originally Posted by 800w4me View Post
    I thought the Curve was pretty sweet, but compared to the 800w it's SLOW (in terms of connection speeds). Navigation was painfully slow where I was, as was Pocket Express and just plain surfing the web.

If the Curve comes with Wifi and Rev-A in the future then I think they're both comparable - sweet phones with great OS's, but I personally prefer WM over BB...

I thought the BB looked "cooler" but the 800w definitely has a more solid feel to it. The back of the BB seemed way too cheap and flimsy. And while I loved the trackball on the BB, with all the shortcut buttons everywhere on the 800w I can actually navigate the phone just as quickly.

Finally, for me, I would have had to pay an extra $30/month just for the BB pack, so it definitely wasn't worth an extra $720 over two years for a phone that was as best, just as good as the treo (but not quite).

One more thing.. the BB's screen was way better, but then again it wasn't a touch-screen.
    I agree with all of this. I had a the 8830 and while it was nice, and better looking, I think the palm is more usable. I hated, hated, that stupid trackball, and web browsing was garbage. Also, to do anything in the BB options took forever, and I felt like I was back in 2005 when I had my first BB.
    Global Posts
    265 Global Posts
    This is a great thread for me. I have a 650 on vzw, very stable , 3 yrs old, but want to get to faster inet , smaller phone, etc. I use it as phone first, texting, then a bunch of apps, email when I travel 4 days a month, and when i am out, i tether to laptop to get on inet when travel. I would use inet more if I had a faster connection.

If vzw came out with the centro 2 months earlier than it did, I would have that now. Instead it came out with curve first. I tried it for a day, and went back. Deal breakers for me, were: a)no auto answer on bluetooth. You have to hit the button on your earpiece. For me, lots of times when I am using bluetooth, Ihave both hands tied up. b)No threaded text. POS has this done great! c)similar issues to gfong above on email. I find that I do things all one handed, I also don't use stylus, i just use fingers. Slingbox, what is the app you are referring to that solves most of the issues listed above, it might make me want to go back to the curve;-) d)it was not as simple to use as a phone as was 650.

On spec alone, I decided to wait on 800. It would be a change from pos to wm, but my son has a xv6800, so I am used to it. Having real gps and wifi is great, and beats what the curve has though I don't need wifi if I have rev a, and my car has built in gps, so not really sure I need that. But i feel a next gen phone should have them.

Touchscreen doesn't work for me, i like one handed, so diamond pro with slider i don't think is going to either. I really hope the 800 is positive over the next few weeks. Real jealous sprint got it 1st as well;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by jbinbi View Post
    a)no auto answer on bluetooth. You have to hit the button on your earpiece.
    No app that I'm aware of.

b)No threaded text.
    Sprints is releasing OS upgrade that will include threaded text and picture mail in August or shortly after.

c)similar issues to gfong above on email. .
    There are a few apps that are available for email organization .
    I use BB Alerts
    It's a great option for Email color separation plus you can assign different led color blinks- Red , Blue , Orange , yellow , White , purple , Green for SMS , Text message , Blackberry messenger , Pin Messages and Email.
    You can also control time and day of alerts being on plus vibe control and so much more.
    Its a great app that gives you a lot...I think it cost me 10.00 - 12.00 bucs or so.

There are many users that were having e-mail organization issues and a lot of new app are available taking that edge away from WM on that front.
    I also think Voicemail count is very important which Blackberry has ..Unforunatly WM hasn't got that covered .

There are a lot of BB apps ..not as many as WM f,sure but hey , I dont have to soft reset /Hard reset my device every couple day to keep it running.
    I know this for fact...I used WM for over 5 years.

I guess it comes back to the basics...Blackberry has them all Covered.
    Last edited by slingbox; 07/15/2008 at 05:11 PM. Reason: Could not be helped
    Quote Originally Posted by slingbox View Post
    There are a lot of BB apps ..not as many as WM f,sure but hey , I dont have to soft reset /Hard reset my device every couple day to keep it running.
    I know this for fact...I used WM for over 5 years.
    You know, this is what really gets me laughing. In Blackberry threads, there's always one guy who mentions how often their Curve froze up - back when they had one. And in WM threads there's always someone who says they have to reset their device multiple times a week - in the days when they owned a WM device. Why do I find it funny?

Because in the three months I've owned a Curve, it has never frozen. In the 8 months that I owned an MDA (WM5), I've never had to reset the device except when installing certain programs.

I just can't imagine what you guys are doing to your poor, poor phones. It's probably a good thing for you guys that there isn't a SPCP - Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Phones
    For most of us who are not on a Simply Everything plan the extra $30 is to hefty to warrant a BB. If I had employer who paid for it I'd have a Curve. Since I am the owner I will save the extra cash a month. I have push mail Exchange account through 1and1.com in a hosting package for $4.95 per month. It's been over a year and the service is solid. Don't need RIM for $25 more. Again, love the Curve wish I had one.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluemonq View Post
    You know, this is what really gets me laughing. In Blackberry threads, there's always one guy who mentions how often their Curve froze up - back when they had one. And in WM threads there's always someone who says they have to reset their device multiple times a week - in the days when they owned a WM device. Why do I find it funny?

Because in the three months I've owned a Curve, it has never frozen. In the 8 months that I owned an MDA (WM5), I've never had to reset the device except when installing certain programs.

I just can't imagine what you guys are doing to your poor, poor phones. It's probably a good thing for you guys that there isn't a SPCP - Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Phones
    Welcome to TC .
    Play nice lol

I like WM f,sure but found that softrest .Hardreset needed to clear up memeory and frezz at times.Dont get me wrong I loved my WX
    Last edited by slingbox; 07/15/2008 at 05:12 PM. Reason: edit ..miss read post
  16.    #36  
    double post. sorry.

good way to get my post count up though. lol
    Last edited by codyppc; 07/15/2008 at 05:24 PM.
    My Avatar = This guy walks 12 miles a day just to charge his cell phone. Link Here
    If you want to buy me lunch... click here
    PDA's I've owned/used in order... nextel i930, BB 7100i, PPC-6700 (apache), treo 700p, PPC-6700, treo 700wx, PPC-6800 (mogul), PPC-6900 (touch), treo 755p, PPC-6900 (touch), BB 8130 (Pearl),PPC-6800 (mogul), BB 8330 (Curve) Diamond, treo 800w, Touch Pro, BB 8330 (Curve), Treo 800w, Treo Pro
    1. dont use a world phone, but i really feel that a world phone can call out of the country. i think this one could have been figured out, but i am not going to search for it. not many would care.

2. under the email options there is "display message header on". i have mine set to 2 lines, default is 1. i like 2 lines just because of what you said. i like to know what the full subject is before i open it. this setting would have done what you wanted.

3. this is very true. it is a few extra step to delete on the blackberry. i thought that wm had great email. i liked activesync. i think most people with blackberries are after that true instant email. instant email without having to be connected to an exchange server. there are things that are less steps on the blackberry than the windows mobile devices though. these are more OS vs OS which i really didn't want to get into. i just wanted device out of box vs device out of box.

4. hmmm. your right, but i didnt know that you could do that on windows mobile.
    I came across app at Crackberry,com that covered #4...I will look for tonight
  18.    #38  
    I recently got 2 BB devices (one with WiFi and one with GPS) and was using the Curve 8820 in few trips to overseas together with my Treo 750. (I don't have the Treo 800w. I expect Treo 800w is better than 750 in every aspects.)

Here is my experience.

1. I can't dial **131* + country code + phone number + # when using the BB. This string is provided by the telco, it allows me to call home country in overseas. I was not able to figure out how to make this kind of call by using BB.

2. I receive around 200 network related emails to inform me the network status and scheduled jobs status. The subject line states the status. The BB can only show half of the subject, as a result, I need to open each message.

3. I need to press 4 buttons to delete one message in BB, which is Menu then "D" then "Enter" then "Enter" again. For my WM6 Treo I only need "Delete" and "OK".

4. If I want to delete multiple messages not continuously, I can't do it in BB. I can only select emails in one block then delete it. If in-between, I have another email, such as the sent mail (very common as inbox and sent items are in one place) or other email , I have to do it 2 times.

5. All emails, Inbox and Sent Items are in one place. It is very diffcult to read as most of the time I only read inbox and delete the useless messages.

6. In term of the mail format, I need to read very carefully in order to know who are the reciptents. The mail format in WM is more easy to read because of different background color.

7. A lot of software are available in WM but not in BB. If I need to use it, I need to carry two devices.

8. For editing a message, if I make any mistakes, it is a pain to do the editing in BB. When I move the scroll ball too fast, it misses it and need to redo again. Typo is very common in a small device. I think this is very important. (Maybe I am not familiar with the scroll ball...)

1. dont use a world phone, but i really feel that a world phone can call out of the country. i think this one could have been figured out, but i am not going to search for it. not many would care.

2. under the email options there is "display message header on". i have mine set to 2 lines, default is 1. i like 2 lines just because of what you said. i like to know what the full subject is before i open it. this setting would have done what you wanted.

3. this is very true. it is a few extra step to delete on the blackberry. i thought that wm had great email. i liked activesync. i think most people with blackberries are after that true instant email. instant email without having to be connected to an exchange server. there are things that are less steps on the blackberry than the windows mobile devices though. these are more OS vs OS which i really didn't want to get into. i just wanted device out of box vs device out of box.

4. hmmm. your right, but i didnt know that you could do that on windows mobile. select different emails and not just click and drag type to select. a control and click type of selection. hmmmm.

you can seperate emails from dispalying sent messages in the inbox. go to email options and you will see "hide sent messages". and you wont see them anymore. infact, you have all kinds of options in there.

5. answered above. also, i think you do the same thing i do which dosen't make since in your #4 question. you said "delete multiple messages". i usually just delete them as i read them. or i file them if i want to keep them. i like my inbox clean. no saved, sent, filed, ect in the inbox.

6. i have no problem seeing the included people either. infact i have different background colors as well. i dont really use it because i dont find it that hard to figure out.

7. no comment there. 10 times as much software for wm. infact the biggest part of me wanting to go back was that i could make my own. i really miss that.

8. the scroll wheele is weird. most people say they love it. i guess it grows on ya. it drives me crazy half the time and the other half.... well, not as bad. i dont miss a stylus though.

thanks for your post. lot of good comments
    My Avatar = This guy walks 12 miles a day just to charge his cell phone. Link Here
    PDA's I've owned/used in order... nextel i930, BB 7100i, PPC-6700 (apache), treo 700p, PPC-6700, treo 700wx, PPC-6800 (mogul), PPC-6900 (touch), treo 755p, PPC-6900 (touch), BB 8130 (Pearl),PPC-6800 (mogul), BB 8330 (Curve) Diamond, treo 800w, Touch Pro, BB 8330 (Curve), Treo 800w, Treo Pro
  19.    #39  
    well, i posted this over in the blackberry forum of sprintusers. got a lot of different views. see here if you want... http://www.sprintusers.com/forum/sho...=1#post1876515

i hate this "on the fence" feeling. i just have a small part of me that misses wm.

i also kindof miss TC. lots of good people here.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12