Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Can I copy over my palm msg data file from the 700wx and keep my chats going?

Did anyone ever find a way to view that data file in another application. It'd be nice..
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    sync with Dashwire.com for free. Start with the 700wx then re-sync with the 800w and let Dashwire update it.
  3.    #3  
    Wow.

That dashwire looks cool. Is there a way to save the files there. I've always wanted a way to trim down the content on the phone. It seems like dashwire mirrors the phone.

Also it seems like could be a battery drainer if it syncs everything all the time. Guess u can control it though.

Will check it out.
    Will Dashwire.com work even though the 800w uses Palm's SMS app and not the WM6 app?? I've emailed them to ask, but am not sure how long it will take for them to get back to me. There is an app called Jeyo Mobile Companion (which allows for SMS backup and transfer among other things), but according to the developer it won't work because the 800w doesn't use the built-in WM6 messaging app for SMS. Any one else have any info about how to transfer old SMS's (especially from a Treo 700wx) to the new 800w??

Thanks!
    I was able to successfully copy the Palm Threaded sms messages from my 700wx to 800w.

Steps:
    On 700wx
    1) connect sync cable and when connected click Explore.
    2) navigate to \Windows and copy PalmMsgV001 file up to pc.
    On 800w
    1) opt-OK to open task manager. Kill Messaging app.
    2) connect sync cable and when connected click Explore.
    3) navigate to \Windows and copy PalmMsgV001 from the pc.

I actually just renamed the original file on the 800w to PalmMsgV001.old using Resco Explorer, but there is no reason to hold onto the old one once the transferred one is copied.
    Quote Originally Posted by hannip View Post
    I was able to successfully copy the Palm Threaded sms messages from my 700wx to 800w.

Steps:
    On 700wx
    1) connect sync cable and when connected click Explore.
    2) navigate to \Windows and copy PalmMsgV001 file up to pc.
    On 800w
    1) opt-OK to open task manager. Kill Messaging app.
    2) connect sync cable and when connected click Explore.
    3) navigate to \Windows and copy PalmMsgV001 from the pc.

I actually just renamed the original file on the 800w to PalmMsgV001.old using Resco Explorer, but there is no reason to hold onto the old one once the transferred one is copied.
    Hannip,

Does this require you first have a hacked version of the Palm SMS threaded app installed on the 700wx? If so, where does one go about getting that version? And will it automatically copy over all existing SMS messages from the regular messaging app on the 700wx to the Palm SMS app once you install it on the 700wx? If not, I guess those of us who used the regular SMS messaging app on the 700wx are out of luck...unless anyone else out there has any suggestions/ideas/solutions????

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

- Marc
    There is no easy way to copy from the standard outlook text to the Palm one. If I remember correctly the Palm app will read like 10 messages at a time from the outlook one each time it loads. That would take a long time if you have a lot of texts stored up. My procedure assumes you've already been using the hacked Palm app on the 700wx and all of your messages are in the PalmMsgV001 file.
    There is no easy way to copy from the standard outlook text to the Palm one. If I remember correctly the Palm app will read like 10 messages at a time from the outlook one each time it loads. That would take a long time if you have a lot of texts stored up. My procedure assumes you've already been using the hacked Palm app on the 700wx and all of your messages are in the PalmMsgV001 file.
    Damn...well, it still might be worth it. Where can I get the Palm app for the 700wx? I noticed there were a few of them floating around out there, and want to make sure I get the one that you are using (i.e. the correct one). Thanks!
    It's hard to miss. In the 700wx forum, 2nd sticky thread, first post has a link to download it.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=139379

In your case you don't want to delete the old texts. I forget if you have to soft reset each time to load 10 more texts or if you can just kill the Messaging app and reload it to do it. If you have to soft reset each time that's gonna really suck.
    It's hard to miss. In the 700wx forum, 2nd sticky thread, first post has a link to download it.

In your case you don't want to delete the old texts. I forget if you have to soft reset each time to load 10 more texts or if you can just kill the Messaging app and reload it to do it. If you have to soft reset each time that's gonna really suck.
    Doh..I guess I didn't search as hard as I thought...haha...thanks for the link.

Yeah, if I have to soft reset each time, it's gonna REALLY suck! At that point, I probably wouldn't do it. I'll give it a shot and see what's what and post my results on here. Thanks!

Sorry...one more quick question. According to Cody's instructions, it seems like installing the threaded SMS app on the 700wx will delete all my existing SMS messages? Am I missing something? Sorry...it's 12:30 AM here and I'm tired, but thanks for all your help!
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    I used PPCPimBackup to transfer all of my pim data from my mogul. As far as the text messages go, it didn't work exactly. None of my sent messages actually showed up. And the ones that people had sent me would show up as new messages up to ten at a time. Once I got to ten I would have to use the task manager to end the messaging task and then open it again, 10 at a time until it was all done with transferring my incoming text messages.
    Quote Originally Posted by mbressman View Post
    Sorry...one more quick question. According to Cody's instructions, it seems like installing the threaded SMS app on the 700wx will delete all my existing SMS messages? Am I missing something? Sorry...it's 12:30 AM here and I'm tired, but thanks for all your help!
    they don't get erased, you just can't access them in outlook any longer once the threaded sms is installed.
    Quote Originally Posted by lnchbx13 View Post
    I used PPCPimBackup to transfer all of my pim data from my mogul. As far as the text messages go, it didn't work exactly. None of my sent messages actually showed up. And the ones that people had sent me would show up as new messages up to ten at a time. Once I got to ten I would have to use the task manager to end the messaging task and then open it again, 10 at a time until it was all done with transferring my incoming text messages.
    Good to know you don't have to soft reset each time. Bummer that the sent texts don't get imported.
  15.    #15  
    I set up dashwire on my 700wx in preparation for the migration.

Since I have hacked Palm Threaded text on the 700wx, will dashwire still work? It's taking a long time to sync.
    Hey akenis if your still planning on migrating to the 800w, because it uses Palm's sms app (like you alluded to earlier), the sms functionality of Dashwire won't work. You should still be able to transfer your contacts, web favorites, and speed dials onto the new device and continuously sync everything else (photos, videos, calls, etc.). But to be honest we haven't tested the 800w as of yet so we can't be 100% sure. If anything you should be able to have a back-up of all your conent online.
    Dashwire Free Mobile Phone Backup, Contact Sync, Web Text Messaging, Photo & Video Uploads, and Connection to your Social Networks

Are you using the latest version of the Dashwire Mobile client (http://m.dashwire.com)?
  17.    #17  
    Yeah, the txt doesn't sync. All my stuff is on exchange anyway, and I can just copy over the palm sms data. I was just checking it out. Just trying to get my ducks in a row...

Ready to activate!
    Well, I give up at this point. Palm made a stupid decision as far as I'm concerned by deciding to implement their Palm SMS app in the Treo 800w and force us all to use it (at the very least they could have provided instructions for how to disable it and go with the built-in WM6.1 sms messaging app).

The only real solution I found that could get some of the SMS messages from my old Treo 700wx onto the 800w was to install the Palm SMS app on the Treo 700wx, let it copy over all the messages in my Inbox (it wouldn't do sent items) to the Palm SMS app (which was really annoying because it would only copy 10 messages at a time and then I had to kill it and re-launch it for another 10), and then copy the PalmMsgV001 file from the Treo 700wx to the 800w (overwriting the one on the 800w and any potential SMS messages I might have in that one already - I could back that one up first, but there was no way to import/export).

There is a program called DJ SMS copier, but it didn't work so well on my 700wx (it reported that it exported the correct # of SMS messages from my 700wx (including sent items, deleted items, etc.) but in actuality it didn't seem to). Further, even after exporting, there was nothing more I could do with them. I tried to import them onto the 800w figuring that maybe I could at least trick the 800w into creating a new account in the built-in messaging app where I could view all the old SMS messages, but instead all it did was import the SMS messages (10 at a time) into the Palm SMS app (I guess I should have realized it would do this since it had the same behavior on the 700wx).

I was even going to try and copy over the cemail.vol (this is where Windows Mobile stores messaging data from the built-in messaging app) from my 700wx to my 800w (once more thinking I could trick the built-in messaging app into displaying the old SMS messages), but I couldn't figure out how to copy the cemail.vol from my 700wx (no matter what I tried, it reported the file as locked and wouldn't let me copy it). On further thought, it probably wouldn't matter since even if it did work and the WM6.1 built-in messaging app recognized it as a valid cemail.vol file (a big IF there), the Palm SMS app would probably extract the SMS messages from the Inbox upon launch (most likely 10 at a time).

At this point, I'm out of ideas. If anyone has any other possibilities for taking my old SMS messages (all of them, including sent items) and transferring them to my new 800w, please post here! Otherwise, I guess we're all out of luck. Thanks Palm!

P.S. Check out my other post about all the "issues" that I've experienced when using the Palm SMS app (that could potentially be resolved if we could only revert back to the built-in WM6.1 messaging app for SMS text messaging): http://discussion.wmexperts.com/show...9&postcount=23
    Last edited by mbressman; 07/27/2008 at 10:00 PM.
    Yeah it sure would've been nice if the Palm Messaging had an import/export option and a sync to outlook option. And a way to switch between outlook and Palm Messaging would be nice.

At least they didn't change the format of the PalmMsgV001 file which is some consolation if you've been using the app on a previous device. A simple copy of the file is all it takes.

Yeah the cemail.vol is locked up tight. I've tried to copy it in the past with no luck also. Even if there was a way to extract the texts from cemail.vol there is no way to import them on the 800w.
    That's pretty silly. Why didn't Palm just hide the built in SMS ability in Outlook (which can be done via the Registry I believe) and use it to store the data. This way they won't need to re-invent the wheel (just have a cache to keep track of the conversations) and they wouldn't break compatability with anything else that already exists.

Bah
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast