Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21
  1. mattmcg's Avatar
    Posts
    146 Posts
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
       #1  
    I found something very interesting as I've been setting up my email on my new 800w (got it yesterday).

    I went about setting up my Yahoo! Mail Plus account and the 800w said that it had default settings for the account. I went went with it and before you knew it I was downloading email.... But when I went back into the settings, it was an IMAP configuration!!!!!! I then went into the file structure and sure enough, it downloaded my IMAP file structure as I have those setup within Yahoo mail! I thought, HALLILUIA I've been waiting for Yahoo IMAP forever and throught my prayers had finally been answered. I began sending test emails to my Yahoo account and sure enough they were received.

    After playing around for a while though, I tried sending and experienced a failure. After reconfiguring to every conceivable Yahoo SMTP server, I'm out of ideas. The Outlook mail client on the 800w doesn't allow you to adjust port numbers so I think I'm out of luck..... and possibly back to a crappy POP3 configuration.

    Have any of you found the same with yours?
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by mattmcg View Post
    I found something very interesting as I've been setting up my email on my new 800w (got it yesterday).

    I went about setting up my Yahoo! Mail Plus account and the 800w said that it had default settings for the account. I went went with it and before you knew it I was downloading email.... But when I went back into the settings, it was an IMAP configuration!!!!!! I then went into the file structure and sure enough, it downloaded my IMAP file structure as I have those setup within Yahoo mail! I thought, HALLILUIA I've been waiting for Yahoo IMAP forever and throught my prayers had finally been answered. I began sending test emails to my Yahoo account and sure enough they were received.

    After playing around for a while though, I tried sending and experienced a failure. After reconfiguring to every conceivable Yahoo SMTP server, I'm out of ideas. The Outlook mail client on the 800w doesn't allow you to adjust port numbers so I think I'm out of luck..... and possibly back to a crappy POP3 configuration.

    Have any of you found the same with yours?

    i set up my yahoo mail in 800w..

    and it copied ALL my folders in yahoo...
    i was amazed! It never happened before, or at least i have never been able to set it up that way...

    ===========================
    it's just the speaker i loathe..
  3. #3  
    you can add port numbers after the server url delimited with a colon (.

    Example
    smtp.mail.yahoo.com:25
  4. mattmcg's Avatar
    Posts
    146 Posts
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
       #4  
    oh, good tip. Should have known that as I've set that up before..... I'll give it a try and report back!
  5. #5  
    I've been getting IMAP using flexmail. It automatically set it up.

    Host imap.mail.yahoo.com on port 143

    Haven't activated my 800 yet. Still playing.
  6. mattmcg's Avatar
    Posts
    146 Posts
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
       #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by akenis View Post
    I've been getting IMAP using flexmail. It automatically set it up.

    Host imap.mail.yahoo.com on port 143

    Haven't activated my 800 yet. Still playing.
    What settings and port are you using for the SMTP side?
  7. mattmcg's Avatar
    Posts
    146 Posts
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
       #7  
    Well, after trying to hard code the port numbers, I still cannot get the send/smtp side to work with the standard Yahoo settings...... Hmmm...
  8. #8  
    Sorry out is smtp.mobile.mail.yahoo.com on port 25.

    authentication same as incomming.

    Flexmail has tons of settings for syncing the IMAP folders.
  9. #9  
    You can still use IMAP even with the FREE Yahoo, not Yahoo Plus. I've been using it for awhile, although sometimes the server is down. I mistakenly configured IMAP for Yahoo on my 700wx and went it it. It had default settings. I was able to download email.
  10. mattmcg's Avatar
    Posts
    146 Posts
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
       #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by akenis View Post
    Sorry out is smtp.mobile.mail.yahoo.com on port 25.

    authentication same as incomming.

    Flexmail has tons of settings for syncing the IMAP folders.
    Well still no luck on sending mail. Here are my settings....
    Incoming mail server: imap.mail.yahoo.com
    Account type: IMAP4
    Username: (my login without @yahoo.com)
    Outgoing SMTP mail server: smtp.mobile.mail.yahoo.com
    Outgoing server requires authentication is checked
    Use the same username and password for sending email is checked
    Advanced server settings: Require SSL for incoming/outgoing not checked

    Not sure why this isn't working but I can receive fine, just not send. I'm stoked about the possibility of Yahoo IMAP but it doesn't seem all there yet!
  11. #11  
    The servers are not stable. Wait a few hours or a day or so. I have IMAP configured for Yahoo on my phone and on rare occasstion I can't send, but I can receive or visa versa.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by mattmcg View Post
    I found something very interesting as I've been setting up my email on my new 800w (got it yesterday).

    I went about setting up my Yahoo! Mail Plus account and the 800w said that it had default settings for the account. I went went with it and before you knew it I was downloading email.... But when I went back into the settings, it was an IMAP configuration!!!!!! I then went into the file structure and sure enough, it downloaded my IMAP file structure as I have those setup within Yahoo mail! I thought, HALLILUIA I've been waiting for Yahoo IMAP forever and throught my prayers had finally been answered. I began sending test emails to my Yahoo account and sure enough they were received.

    After playing around for a while though, I tried sending and experienced a failure. After reconfiguring to every conceivable Yahoo SMTP server, I'm out of ideas. The Outlook mail client on the 800w doesn't allow you to adjust port numbers so I think I'm out of luck..... and possibly back to a crappy POP3 configuration.

    Have any of you found the same with yours?
    Yahoo! Mail Plus has had IMAP for "forever" (for me, more than 2 yrs now). I have been using it since my Verizon DSL/Yahoo! bundle days and up till now.
    Even though i no longer have Mail Plus (cancelled Verizon DSL) i still have it configured as IMAP on my 700Wx and it still works.
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
  13. #13  
    For folks having problem with sending (SMTP), this is a problem with Yahoo! IMAP once in a while. After some time, sending works fine.

    The best fix is just to set up the outgoing server using Sprint's SMTP server (smtp.sprintpcs.com). Anyone with Vision service has an "@sprintpcs.com" email account (even if you don't know it, it's only 20MB anyway and available via web at http://pop.sprintpcs.com . For outgoing SMTP log-in details us your Vision username and password.

    I've set it up for several folks this way so that they won't be bothered with Yahoo!'s SMTP server error once in a while.
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
  14. #14  
    growl - why can't i get this to work? i did download the sprint mail cab - whatever that is. i don't like how it intercedes. does anyone have an update as to exactly what settings they used?

    thanks
  15. #15  
    What are you referring to?
  16. #16  
    trying to get yahoo mail plus to work
  17. #17  
    Trying to get it to work with Sprint Mobile Email or with Pocket Outlook?

    Post #10 has instructions on settings using Pocket Outlook. If you see that you can receive but can't send, then use Sprint's SMTP servers like i indicated in post #13.
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
  18. #18  
    please can someone help me set up yahoo plus mail? i can receive but not send. it just sits in my outbox. i've tried everything.

    Incoming mail server: imap.mail.yahoo.com
    Account type: IMAP4
    Username: (my login without @yahoo.com)
    Outgoing SMTP mail server: smtp.sprintpcs.com
    Outgoing server requires authentication is checked
    Use the same username and password for sending email is not checked
    Outgoing server username: vision username (without the @sprintpcs.com)
    Outgoing server password: vision password (which i just reset and checked)
    Advanced server settings: Require SSL for incoming/outgoing not checked
  19. #19  
    did ot get resolved
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by rustyosaurus View Post
    please can someone help me set up yahoo plus mail? i can receive but not send. it just sits in my outbox. i've tried everything.

    Incoming mail server: imap.mail.yahoo.com
    Account type: IMAP4
    Username: (my login without @yahoo.com)
    Outgoing SMTP mail server: smtp.sprintpcs.com
    Outgoing server requires authentication is checked
    Use the same username and password for sending email is not checked
    Outgoing server username: vision username (without the @sprintpcs.com)
    Outgoing server password: vision password (which i just reset and checked)
    Advanced server settings: Require SSL for incoming/outgoing not checked
    Why not use Yahoo's SMTP? I use regular Yahoo Mail (not Plus) and POutlook automatically configured using IMAP.

    This is how it's configured for SMTP...
    Server: smtp.mobile.mail.yahoo.com
    Outgoing server requires authentication (enabled)
    Use the same user name and passwrod for sending email (enabled)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions