Page 1 of 16 12345611 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    I think we're only seeing aGPS on the Treo.

I say this because I can't get any "signal bars" to show up on the Garmin main screen, and when I go into the "GPS Info" screen, I see all the satellites, but I never see any signal strengths, only flat bars. Also, there's no elevation provided, and I know all the above behaviors are exactly what you see when you're only running aGPS (from my experience with the Touch). This could also explain why other apps can't see the GPS at all, because Garmin is aGPS aware, and TomTom for example is not. GPSGate is, and converts the aGPS data to a simulated GPS signal outputted though the virtual COM port, which TomTom can then read.

I have tried this with GPSGate and without, and through the Intermediate driver and without, and the results don't change.

One thought I had is that maybe the Maps application has it locked somehow? This shouldn't be the case because of the WM GPS manager, which should split the GPS signal as necessary, but just a thought.

But bottom line, I can't see any "real" GPS signal from Garmin, where with my Touch I don't have the same issue. If I bury myself in the house with the Touch, I'll get the same results, but as soon as I'm even remotely close to a window or wall, I'll pick up the real GPS signal, and all of a sudden I have signal bars for each satellite and elevation.

Very depressing, as I love the speed, screen, and keyboard on this phone. But as far as GPS, which is one of my killer apps so to speak, it's not working right at the moment. I don't know whether I should just hang tight for a week or two and see if someone smarter than I can figure this out, or just get another Touch (old one is already in the wife's hands, and she's not getting rid of it). Thoughts from the peanut gallery?
    Interesting.

These guys are all saying that it works fine
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=167098
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    Here's a good way to check this out. Does ANYONE who is using Garmin see signal bars above each satellite when in "GPS Info" view (from the main screen, just click on the GPS signal meter, then click on GPS Info. It doesn't matter how many satellites it shows, but do you have signal strengths above each satellite? I do on my touch, at least when it gets out of aGPS and switches to the good old satellites.
  4. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bwillet View Post
    Here's a good way to check this out. Does ANYONE who is using Garmin see signal bars above each satellite when in "GPS Info" view (from the main screen, just click on the GPS signal meter, then click on GPS Info. It doesn't matter how many satellites it shows, but do you have signal strengths above each satellite?
    Nope, no bars here. I started a thread on this matter yesterday.
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG View Post
    Nope, no bars here. I started a thread on this matter yesterday.
    Just went looking for that thread.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=167106

I hope someone can disprove my theory... It makes sense to me (aGPS only).
    I got a bar, but it is very rare that I see it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    so what exactly does this mean for us 800 users ;(
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    If I'm right, it just means we need to get one of the genius hackers to fix it!
    so if it was only agps does that mean programs like google or live maps won't work?
    Just read malatesta post about gps and agps. I am guessing it might be assisted in some way.

http://wmexperts.com/articles/gps_vs..._tutorial.html
    Quote Originally Posted by wrecks View Post
    Just read malatesta post about gps and agps. I am guessing it might be assisted in some way.

http://wmexperts.com/articles/gps_vs..._tutorial.html

Good read, thanks for the link.

Not having a 800w or Garmin XT I can only speculate. Another poster in another thread said that Garmin XT worked great with the phone radio off. Therefore I'm guessing that XT is not showing signal strength bars because Windows Mobile 6.1 reports the GPS signal strength differently. If thats the case than this is really nothing to worry about and just a minor bug?
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    Good read, thanks for the link.

Not having a 800w or Garmin XT I can only speculate. Another poster in another thread said that Garmin XT worked great with the phone radio off. Therefore I'm guessing that XT is not showing signal strength bars because Windows Mobile 6.1 reports the GPS signal strength differently. If thats the case than this is really nothing to worry about and just a minor bug?
    I think I was the one that reported initially that you can run gamin xt without the radio.. I was wrong, you have to at least have the radio on for it to acquire the signal for it to work.
    Very good read. Thanks for the link and thanks to Mal for the article.
  14. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    I think I was the one that reported initially that you can run gamin xt without the radio.. I was wrong, you have to at least have the radio on for it to acquire the signal for it to work.
    Mine works just fine with the radio off.
    Turn your phone radio off. Remove and replace your battery. Then startup Garmin XT. Let me know of your results.
  16. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Turn your phone radio off. Remove and replace your battery. Then startup Garmin XT. Let me know of your results.
    Alright, give me a little bit.
    Well then. It sounds like sprint has the GPS chip locked so it wont run on its own. That sucks!
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
  18. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    No love. It would not find the GPS. There really is only on true way to test it would be for someone to try and use it on a flight. That way you could turn on the phone part, and see if you still get GPS. I am going to go search the registry a bit and see what rocks I over turn.
    Just did. It said "Flight Mode must be turned off in order to activate Bluetooth."

Not sure if that means it reads the gps via a com port or what... it does concern me that this thing is on lockdown. However, with Garmin XT I get a great signal and no lag while driving. I am just annoyed that if I lose good signal, I might lose good triangulation and positioning?
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pooh View Post
    I am just annoyed that if I lose good signal, I might lose good triangulation and positioning?
    Not to mention the millions of miles of road in this country with no cellphone coverage. I wonder if getting one of those little external BT GPS receivers would allow us to use XT with our 800w when we have no sprint network?
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
Page 1 of 16 12345611 ... LastLast