Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast
    Can someone post a link of garmin or tomtom cab file? Thanks in advance
    Quote Originally Posted by gunjin123 View Post
    It does have stand alone GPS........ ##477#.... you can get all the GPS info staellitte tracking etc....

Saw the ## code in another thread some good info in that menu...
    Hmmm.. can you (or anyone) do a hard reset, leave phone radio off, then do ##477#?

I'll bet not - the ## codes only work with the phone radio on, right?

Thus, for this to prove anything beyond that GPS satellite info comes from the towers, the following steps need to be taken:

1. Hard reset (to really ensure the GPS satellite cache is empty).
    2. Ensure you are in a place with no service, but where a satellite signal could be obtained (like way out in the country somewhere).
    3. Turn on the phone (of course there will be no signal)
    4. NOW check ##477# and see if the is any GPS info.

This would prove/disprove the theory that GPS will ONLY work if a signal form the towers is available, at least at first to cache satellite info.
  3. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by westronic View Post
    Hmmm.. can you (or anyone) do a hard reset, leave phone radio off, then do ##477#?

Thus, for this to prove anything beyond that GPS satellite info comes from the towers, the following steps need to be taken:

2. Ensure you are in a place with no service, but where a satellite signal could be obtained (like way out in the country somewhere).

This would prove/disprove the theory that GPS will ONLY work if a signal form the towers is available, at least at first to cache satellite info.
    All this proves is that sat data is stored in cache to aid quick fix.

The problem is that it doesn't matter if the GPS works with the radio searching for a signal. Can you imagine how quickly you'd burn through the junky batteries that our 800w's come with if you're using GPS and looking for a cell signal the entire time? I'd guess 2 hours. We need standalone GPS to work in Flight Mode like it does on other Sprint phones.

It sounds like it's probably in there but will take some massive hacking to get it to work.
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    The problem is that it doesn't matter if the GPS works with the radio searching for a signal. Can you imagine how quickly you'd burn through the junky batteries that our 800w's come with if you're using GPS and looking for a cell signal the entire time? I'd guess 2 hours. We need standalone GPS to work in Flight Mode like it does on other Sprint phones.

It sounds like it's probably in there but will take some massive hacking to get it to work.
    I think the current theory is that you need the radio on and a good signal from towers to initiate GPS, but then it will work with the radio off.

My test would prove/disprove that. It still might be possible to hack it to get it to work in a true stand-alone mode where it seeks GPS satellites from the sky, not from towers.
    I think the current theory is that you need the radio on and a good signal from towers to initiate GPS, but then it will work with the radio off.

My test would prove/disprove that. It still might be possible to hack it to get it to work in a true stand-alone mode where it seeks GPS satellites from the sky, not from towers.
    My theory is it just needs the radio on for GPS. I wish I knew of an area where I had no signal to test this theory out though... stupid Sprint and their large coverage...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasracer View Post
    My theory is it just needs the radio on for GPS. I wish I knew of an area where I had no signal to test this theory out though... stupid Sprint and their large coverage...
    I think someone already tested this - turn off the radio while viewing your map. Move and your position indicator moves, right?

I think this was tested in Google Maps, IIRC.
    Could someone post a screen print of "##477#". I am very curious (Treo 700WX user, but trying to learn all I can about the 800W).
  9. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Could someone post a screen print of "##477#". I am very curious (Treo 700WX user, but trying to learn all I can about the 800W).
    I will, but there is alot of deeper menus. I will post them all.
  10. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Westie,

Here are the screenies you asked for.

GPS Settings Menu

Get GPS Position Screen

Get Device State Screen

Get Extended GPS Position Screen

Get Extended Device State Screen

GPS Settings Screen
    Quote Originally Posted by chocmatic View Post
    Can someone post a link of garmin or tomtom cab file? Thanks in advance
    I don't think it's allowed, since that would be consider as pirating software.
    I just turned off the phone radio and turned on Garmin. Garmin appears to be working (no lost signal message), but I keep getting this repeating "Cannot Connect" message that it's hard to go through the Garmin menus. The Cannot Connect message comes up almost every few seconds.
  13. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crazie.eddie View Post
    I don't think it's allowed, since that would be consider as pirating software.
    In one sense yes, but I own a copy of Garmin XT, so consider more like altering.
    Last edited by NRG; 07/19/2008 at 01:26 PM.
    According to a friend of mine, who is a Sprint Sales Engineer, the GPS enabled CDMA phones are network assisted. So we are out of luck having a standalone GPS on the 800w.
    According to a friend of mine, who is a Sprint Sales Engineer, the GPS enabled CDMA phones are network assisted. So we are out of luck having a standalone GPS on the 800w.
    That just means you get a lock quicker with assisted. My touch can soft-reset into flight mode and I still get satellite signals, and eventually a lock. having said that its not that huge a deal, because if you run GPS your battery will go down like mad. its better to have a standalone and only use your phone as a backup, or when you dont have your gps on you.

*ducks* just my opinion
    This can't be true,
  17. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    The main problem I see with the Treo is the sat cache data gets flushed with a reset. I wish we could add something like LTOmanager so we can have 2-3 days worth of cache data. Then I culd care less if it is assisted or not.

This speculation on the functioning of the GPS.
    Last edited by NRG; 07/19/2008 at 02:36 PM.
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    This morning, I used Sprint Navigation on my new 800w in a no signal area. I started the trip while in good coverage but I drove through a short area (3/4 mile) and my position kept moving on the map. When I tried the same thing on my old Razr using Sprint Nav, it would say "GPs signal is week" and lose my place on the map. With the 800w, it kept moving along and was just as smooth as when I a good signal area. Not sure if this helps but I figured I would throw it out there.
    Quote Originally Posted by gibby View Post
    This can't be true,
    It isn't. His friend doesn't know much about GPS.
    I just ran some tests of my own using Garmin while coming home from a friends house.

1. Garmin on - Phone Radio on - Signal and routed with no problems.

2. Turned off the phone radio, then turned Garmin on - Garmin would keep displaying "searching for satelite". Also, the OS kept displaying repeatedly (like every 2-3 seconds), a message regarding cannot connect.

3. While Garmin was on and navigativng, I turned the phone radio off - Suprisingly, Garmin still navigated, but only for a few miles. Strangely, Garmin lost signal when I was about 1000' feet from the nearest Sprint cell tower and going further away. I kept driving away and decided to drive back to the cell tower. Garmin never picked up any satelites. I also received OS messages on my device regarding cannot connect, but not as frequent. Maybe only every 5 minutes or so.

The only test I am not able to do is having Garmin on and driving to an area with no Sprint coverage (roaming) and also driving to a dead zone area (No sprint coverage or roaming).

So feel free to verify the test, come up with your own conclusions, or whatever. I also do not know much about GPS, but what my assumption about Network assisted GPS is that our GPS systems our phones, require assistance of the network to acquire your location. He did mention that CDMA phones with GPS are network assisted GPS. He did not mention anything about GSM phones with GPS or even the iPhone.
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast