Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast
    Can you add to step one to remove the battery?
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    Ok, i tried it with the phone turned off... soft reset... wifi network connected... still did not acquire a signl until i turned the phone back on... and it did connect to EVDO before acquiring the lock. Tested with TomTom6 and Google Maps.
    Last edited by kwyatt; 07/17/2008 at 03:57 PM. Reason: misspelled EVDO
    Quote Originally Posted by Treo0107 View Post
    Yes, the Treo 800w DOES support both assisted and standalone GPS. Garmin and TomTom will, hopefully, update their respective products soon to take advantage of this feature (if the API's are published by Palm [with Sprint's approval]).

To test this try the following:

Turn off the Phone radio

Turn on Wifi and ensure you have a nearby Wifi signal that will reach outside.

Launch LiveSearch from Start:Programs menu (while outside of course as you are now using GPS standalone and need a clear view of the sky)

Select "Choose new location" then "Current GPS position"

Name your new location

Type your search term (i.e., Pizza) and select Search

LiveSearch will return locations near your current position thus demonstrating "standalone GPS" does indeed function correctly.

Why doesn't this work with some of the other apps? One can only speculate that Sprint Navigation requires the CDMA radio. Perhaps the Maps application has the same requirement.

As to standalone GPS not working I think the demonstration above should end that speculation.
    If I understand other posts correctly, you need to add step zero to all this- turn off the phone and soft reset first.
    Don't agree Mal... this guy has sats available to him due to not soft resetting the phone. When you soft reset, it clears the "cache" from aGPS when he last had signal. Throwing it into flight mode doesn't quite work because of the way it remembers where the available sats where from the cell towers information even when we don't have a cellular signal.
  5. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    I am posting this from another thread.

"I think the GPS is like the one in the HP6515, hence the reason I stated LtoManager earlier. I think it pulls GPS Satelite locations from the the towers, or it quickly trianglualtes then gets the sats. This info that is pulled, is persistent, therefore allowing you to navigate with the phone off. A reset, when performed flushs this info, making it difficult, if not impossible for the aGPS to get a fix. Someone mentioned that they tricked their's into getting a fix, maybe this happened because he was able to get the GPS unit to stay on long enough to get a fix. I personally could care less if it is an assisted GPS like the one they have in the HP6515. I just wish they would allow us to store 3-4 days worth of SAT info. Even better would be the 10 day limit.

Just my musings, so please excuse me."
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    What happens if you turn your phone off, get in a plane (or drive really far) and use the GPS when you land? The GPS should work in this case, but the cached tower data would be way off.
    It unfortunately doesn't end the speculation or really answer the question unless you reset the device

Yes, the Treo 800w DOES support both assisted and standalone GPS. Garmin and TomTom will, hopefully, update their respective products soon to take advantage of this feature (if the API's are published by Palm [with Sprint's approval]).

Turn off the Phone radio

Launch LiveSearch from Start:Programs menu (while outside of course as you are now using GPS standalone and need a clear view of the sky)

Name your new location

LiveSearch will return locations near your current position thus demonstrating "standalone GPS" does indeed function correctly.

Why doesn't this work with some of the other apps? One can only speculate that Sprint Navigation requires the CDMA radio. Perhaps the Maps application has the same requirement.

As to standalone GPS not working I think the demonstration above should end that speculation.
  8. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Here an interesting screenie. Thought you folks might enjoy.

9. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    GPS is not working at all today. :shrug:
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG View Post
    I fail to see how that's interesting. It needs to download maps but since you don't have a connection it dies. Google Maps doesn't even bother with the GPS piece if you don't have a data connection.
  11. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasracer View Post
    I fail to see how that's interesting. It needs to download maps but since you don't have a connection it dies. Google Maps doesn't even bother with the GPS piece if you don't have a data connection.
    Well. kind the point was that it needed all that jazz on. I could not even evoke Garmin XT either. It may be confirmation that it needs to get data from the towers, just for the GPS to function.
    Global Posts
    191 Global Posts
    Can anybody with activated sprint phone and radio turned on after reset meassure how fast the GPS gets the 3d lock? I have unactivated 800w and it is agonizingly slow to get the lock. my external BT GPS, gets position in about 30 sec.
    Quote Originally Posted by okashira View Post
    I have two 800w's here. one activated on sprint, one never activated.
    ive installed all the same software on both phones for testing purposes... including google maps and visual gpse.

I've been able to get the non activated phone to get GPS lock.
    Sorry, but you're forgetting one thing.

Even non-activated, it's connecting to Sprint's towers. Sprint doesn't block *EVERYTHING* (otherwise you couldn't dial *2 to activate your phone, or 911). So it's still aGPS.

<snip stuff>

Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    ooo....good test Treo0107
    As has been posted multiple times, this is NOT a good test.

Sorry Treo0107, you forgot the important step of:

1) Turning off your radio.
    2) Soft resetting your phone.
    3) Do not turn on your radio at any point while testing.

Quote Originally Posted by NRG View Post
    That's an expected "error". Maps requires data usage, and is designed for aGPS.
    Originally Posted by Treo0107 View Post

Hard Reset Device (because if I soft reset someone would come back and say, "well, soft reset must not clear the cache")

Do not turn onthe Phone radio at any point prior to the test

Name your new location

Well, so much for ending speculation. Using the above steps i LiveSearch could not get an initial fix. LiveSearch times out after about 45-60 seconds with an error indicating it could not get GPS location. An initial fix can easily take longer so I'm not sure if it is just timing out too soon. More research is necessary...
    Well, so much for ending speculation. Using the above steps i LiveSearch could not get an initial fix. LiveSearch times out after about 45-60 seconds with an error indicating it could not get GPS location. An initial fix can easily take longer so I'm not sure if it is just timing out too soon. More research is necessary...
    So to confirm...

This did not work for you with the extra step?

I believe this is the case, just confirming as the quoting of the old posts made it read a bit weird.
    As I mentioned above, if you install GPSGate and scan the GPS port, the Treo looks for an internet connection. GPSGate doesn't need an internet connection, so it appears our shiny new 800ws have a poorly-written driver that unnecessarily (?) looks for data before activating the GPS.

Either via a hack or via an official ROM update, I'm sure we'll get this fixed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    So to confirm...

This did not work for you with the extra step?

I believe this is the case, just confirming as the quoting of the old posts made it read a bit weird.
    Correct, it did not work
    Correct, it did not work
    Thanks for the clarification.

To the top! Come on folks, post on the Palm blog!
    It does have stand alone GPS........ ##477#.... you can get all the GPS info staellitte tracking etc....

Saw the ## code in another thread some good info in that menu...
    Quote Originally Posted by gunjin123 View Post
    It does have stand alone GPS........ ##477#.... you can get all the GPS info staellitte tracking etc....

Saw the ## code in another thread some good info in that menu...
    I don't doubt (any think anyone here did) that the device has standalone GPS, it just seems our 3rd party apps can't access it for a lock, it just wants to use aGPS only.

Whoa, there is a ton of info in there... wish I knew what the EFF any of it did.

I suppose our gpsapi.dll file might be the key to all of this standalone business with 3rd party apps.
Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast