Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    255 Global Posts
    I'm following this thread with great interest because I was ready to switch from my 700p to the 800w. The one and only reason I was going to leap was the "standalone" gps.

I am in shock that it doesnt work. Im sure you guys will find some sort of workaround eventually but it shouldn't go down that way.
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    I dont know about you but the first thing I do when I go to an area without cell service is turn off the phone radio because otherwise it will continuously search for a signal eating the entire battery in a matter of hours. IMO we need the GPS to work with the phone off (flight mode) like Palm said it would.
    What good would GPS do us with the phone on and constantly searching for service? Not much because the battery would be dead in a short while.
    Bingo. Couldn't agree more.
    Well, talked to a Palm rep for over half an hour. He was...lets just leave it at that he was not the best person to talk to. I got disconnected from the call, and am now getting the message "We are unable to complete your call at this time."

Can anyone else get through to 1-877-426-3777?

/me edits

Found an alternate number (813-313-4913).
    Last edited by Ebag333; 07/16/2008 at 04:28 PM.
    Well, got off the phone with the second guy. He was clueless too, but at least he didn't argue with me about what stand alone meant. (At least as much...)

Got a new reference number too, for what it's worth (1-51412447707).

He claimed he will be passing it on to the Engineering team. We'll see if it happens or not.

In the mean time, I suggest you post about it on Palm's official blog. You can find it in two spots:

Post titled: The best Treo ever?
    http://blog.palm.com/palm/2008/07/the-best-treo-e.html

Post titled: Introducing the Sprint Treo 800w: GPS, Wi-Fi, WinMo 6.1, EVDO Rev A, and more!
    http://blog.palm.com/palm/2008/07/introducing-the.html

I *STRONGLY* encourage you guys to take 2 minutes and post up on the blog. Keep it professional, and polite. 99.9% of the time the squeaky wheel gets the grease, and if Palm doesn't see any complaints/feedback about the non-functioning stand alone GPS, they won't do anything about it. If they start getting feedback on it, guess what happens?

If you want to take the time, you can also call the above tech support numbers and ask them to log an issue to their engineering team.

The more times this is reported the better the chance of it getting fixed. I've done my part.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    This sounds like possibly a similar issue with the Samsung i780..

Can someone use these directions to see if this "solves" this problem?
    http://www.pocketpt.net/forum/index....&showentry=150

Basically, it's an app called "port splitter" and it fixes

I'd try it but...
    1. I don't have any dedicated mapping software
    2. Don't really care about this

I just tried port splitter. It didn't work for TomTom. I was only able to utilize the WM5 version as there appears to be something wrong with the file posted for WM6. I was so hoping it would work as GPSgate seems to be causing problems with Styletap/Kinoma.
    I posted to both the threads suggested by E. Please, everyone, do the same...

Palm won't do a damn thing if we don't get vocal about it. They are trying to avoid a negative public image at any costs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pooh View Post

Palm won't do a damn thing if we don't get vocal about it. They are trying to avoid a negative public image at any costs.
    I posted to both blogs.

I hope everyone does the same. Tell Palm we want true stand alone GPS because it would make this phone a lot better and more useful in my opinion!
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    I expressed my Tom Tom frustration to Palm yesterday. The nice initial support person elevated me to second level of tech support. The gist of a long conversation at that point was, "please call Sprint for support on this issue." Talk about passing the buck...
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pooh View Post

Just another bump for this cause. The speakerphone and earpiece crackle/popping and muffled noise was my main concern.

I know this is branching off from the main thread....

Edit:
    Just made a thread about what Ebag and darth Pooh said.
    Last edited by mbw163; 07/16/2008 at 08:59 PM.
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Hi,

I have two 800w's here. one activated on sprint, one never activated.
    ive installed all the same software on both phones for testing purposes... including google maps and visual gpse.

I've been able to get the non activated phone to get GPS lock.
    It was not easy, and required several resets of google maps, gps on/off and several restarts of visual GPSe, but I did get a confirmed lock (accuracy verified in visual gpse, with both my phones locked side by side)

note that locking is MUCH slower on the non activated phone, the sprint activated one would be locked on 10 satillites, while the other was a 4.... eventually 5.

at this time, ive also got my sprint ativated phone with full GPS lock with the phone OFF. I was using the gps earlier and haveent reset since, but that was a location 20 miles away... when I opened visualgpse with the phone off to test lock... it was at 0 sats, then bam, got lock with 6...7...8....9 sats.

the gps locking w/o data seems to be software related. the gps always tries to create a data connect when first connected, when that fails... the gps will sort of disable... you have to 'trick,' it by trying over and over..
    Quote Originally Posted by weisshb View Post
    I expressed my Tom Tom frustration to Palm yesterday. The nice initial support person elevated me to second level of tech support. The gist of a long conversation at that point was, "please call Sprint for support on this issue." Talk about passing the buck...
    So Sprint can offer you a paid service solution instead
    Global Posts
    680 Global Posts
    I posted to both, also. Thanks for the links!
    Palm III -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Dell Axim X5 Advanced -> Dell Axim X3i -> Dell Axim X50v -> Cingular 8125 -> Sprint Palm Treo 700Wx -> ->Palm Treo 700P (my wife's but I played with it ) -> Sprint Mogul -> Treo 800w -> Touch Pro & Treo Pro.
    Has anyone called TomTom ?
    maybe they are working on a link from their software to the real gps not agps

and as for the 2 versions of gps I have used both the one that users sprint towers and a bluetooth gps and I find that the bluetooth gps seems to be more acurate with the speed and the other is kind of shaky not very smooth
    anyone else have the same problem ?
    Quote Originally Posted by okashira View Post
    Hi,

I have two 800w's here. one activated on sprint, one never activated.
    ive installed all the same software on both phones for testing purposes... including google maps and visual gpse.

I've been able to get the non activated phone to get GPS lock.
    It was not easy, and required several resets of google maps, gps on/off and several restarts of visual GPSe, but I did get a confirmed lock (accuracy verified in visual gpse, with both my phones locked side by side)

note that locking is MUCH slower on the non activated phone, the sprint activated one would be locked on 10 satillites, while the other was a 4.... eventually 5.

at this time, ive also got my sprint ativated phone with full GPS lock with the phone OFF. I was using the gps earlier and haveent reset since, but that was a location 20 miles away... when I opened visualgpse with the phone off to test lock... it was at 0 sats, then bam, got lock with 6...7...8....9 sats.

the gps locking w/o data seems to be software related. the gps always tries to create a data connect when first connected, when that fails... the gps will sort of disable... you have to 'trick,' it by trying over and over..
    Not quite sure I follow how you did things and what's really going on with your devices, you explain with a lot of pronouns and I can't even understand the bottom line there...

Using the whole 'trick' your phone into using GPS isn't good enough for me. Not when Palm clearly ADVERTISED standalone and assisted.
    Quote Originally Posted by gibby View Post
    maybe they are working on a link from their software to the real gps not agps

and as for the 2 versions of gps I have used both the one that users sprint towers and a bluetooth gps and I find that the bluetooth gps seems to be more acurate with the speed and the other is kind of shaky not very smooth
    anyone else have the same problem ?
    aGPS is great for the initial lock... not so much for the traveling part (especially at highway speeds).
    Quote Originally Posted by gibby View Post
    Not TomTom but I called Garmin and they told me that they were still waiting for their 800w for testing. The person that I spoke to had all the specs for the 800w chip set and he was confident that they could make the Garmin XT software work with out phone radio. He said that I could expect an update to address the 800w for XT within 30 days.

It would be good if other Garmin XT owners could call support and see if the stories jive. I have owned a lot of Garmin products and my experience has been that they are very responsive to bugs and fairly quick to address bugs and feature requests.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    Does sprint's navigation program work in flight mode as standalone???
    I'm just noticing this thread.. never realized the big problem with GPS on this phone.. I've been using Microsoft Live Search Mobile for the last couple days (http://www.livesearchmobile.com/windows_mobile.htm) and it's been great. Already pre-installed on 800w for those who don't have one yet..

Sorry if someone already mentioned this.. haven't had a chance to read each post yet.
    Yes, the Treo 800w DOES support both assisted and standalone GPS. Garmin and TomTom will, hopefully, update their respective products soon to take advantage of this feature (if the API's are published by Palm [with Sprint's approval]).

To test this try the following:

Turn off the Phone radio

Turn on Wifi and ensure you have a nearby Wifi signal that will reach outside.

Launch LiveSearch from Start:Programs menu (while outside of course as you are now using GPS standalone and need a clear view of the sky)

Select "Choose new location" then "Current GPS position"

Name your new location

Type your search term (i.e., Pizza) and select Search

LiveSearch will return locations near your current position thus demonstrating "standalone GPS" does indeed function correctly.

Why doesn't this work with some of the other apps? One can only speculate that Sprint Navigation requires the CDMA radio. Perhaps the Maps application has the same requirement.

As to standalone GPS not working I think the demonstration above should end that speculation.
    ooo....good test Treo0107

someone needs to validate this claim as I'm starting to agree here: TomTom and the rest just need to update their software...

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast