Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 319
  1. #61  
    I just tried turning off the phone on the 800w, soft-reset and the GPS doesn't work. Says Treo's radio needs to be on an connected to the wireless network.

    But that's fine for me, as I have reception in most places so connecting.

    I have a quick question, might be a little OT. I know the built-in map application (telenav) gives turn by turn directions (or at least I assume it does), but I don't want to pay $10/mo for it. Does Google Maps give turn by turn directions? What about TomTom, Garmin, or any other application that doesn't require a monthly subscription? Sorry to go OT.

    Thanks
  2. #62  
    Quote Originally Posted by WM_User45 View Post
    I just tried turning off the phone on the 800w, soft-reset and the GPS doesn't work. Says Treo's radio needs to be on an connected to the wireless network.
    What mapping software did you use for this?

    I would presume that Google Maps, Live Search and especially "Maps" would all prompt you like that...afterall they pull data.

    We're interested in TomTom and Garmin, which doesn't sound like you have...

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  3. #63  
    hey guys i dont know if this has been said before but i have the sprint navigation and when i go to look at the signal i have full signal..so i dont know if that means or says anything but i thought i would say it.
  4. #64  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasracer View Post
    I'd say so. Take a Palm Treo 800w, disable the phone (but do not put in flight mode). Reset and see if it works.
    I come from the palm os world so I have no idea what people are talking about when they say flight mode or airplane mode. All I know is in the Palm Treo 800w manual it makes no mention of flight mode or airplane mode but it does say to turn of the phone radio you hold down the red end key. (which is the same as the palm 700p). So all you have to do is hold down the red end button and see if the GPS works with a program that has its maps on the card and does not need to download info. Does not sound to hard to me? Maybe I am missing something?
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
  5. #65  
    I use iGuidance with the Mogul and it stores the maps on the SD card so no data connection is needed. It's great for driving because I can be talking on the phone while the GPS is still going which is something that you can't do with programs like LiveSearch.

    The other great thing is that I still have full GPS for when I'm in an area with no CDMA coverage (in the air, at sea, overseas, etc.) because the Mogul has true GPS along with aGPS.

    Someone with an 800w needs to load up some iG4, make the registry modification and see if it really has true GPS or simply aGPS.
  6. #66  
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    Someone with an 800w needs to load up some iG4, make the registry modification and see if it really has true GPS or simply aGPS.

    I believe it does have true GPS (all specs says it does) but sprint locked it down to only run in aGPS mode. I hope to be proven wrong but I think it will take a hack to fix.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
  7. #67  
    I'm still awaiting my 800w, which should arrive tomorrow. I thought I remember reading on regarding (maybe) Mogul or Touch, that some programs have issues initiating the GPS. I've read that Google Maps will start the GPS or (maybe) GPSGate. Once the GPS initiates, you can then use a GPS program.
  8. #68  
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    I sure wish somebody would try it so we could put this thing to bed. This is the one thing that is really bugging me about this phone. I really want to run Garmin XT but I want to be able to do it where there is no cell coverage.
    ditto. I would like to have a certain answer for this before I purchase Garmin XT.
  9. #69  
    what is the registry modification that the mogul uses?!
  10. #70  
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pooh View Post
    what is the registry modification that the mogul uses?!
    .

    Quote Originally Posted by mccune View Post
    I don't own a Treo 800w since it's not available in The Netherlands yet. But you could try the next registry settings:

    HKLM/SOFTWARE/HTC/SUPL AGPS:

    change EnableAGPS to 1 or 0 (should not matter)
    change EnableGPSSmartMode to 1
    change GPSMode to 4

    Good luck on this one
    PDAPhoneHome Moderator
  11. #71  
    It looks like I have Tom Tom up and working WITH THE PHONE TURNED OFF AND WI-FI TURNED OFF. After starting up TomTom, I switched to the Today screen and both the antenna icon and WiFi icon had X's by them which confirmed the phone and wifi were off. Therefore, TomTom MUST be using the GPS chip alone. I get 4 out of 5 bars signal inside my house, too. I am using GPSgate. I also have 2 other GPS apps installed which are also working with the phone off. So, I think that proves the GPS will work where there is no telephone service doesn't it??
  12. NRG
    NRG is offline
    NRG's Avatar
    Posts
    3,657 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    #72  
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pooh View Post
    what is the registry modification that the mogul uses?!
    Those Keys are not in the 800w's registry as far as I can tell. Use Resco Explorer to search the registry, lots of GPS named entries, just not the ones in the post above.
  13. #73  
    yeah I ran a total commander search as well.

    snd, were u in flight mode?
  14. NRG
    NRG is offline
    NRG's Avatar
    Posts
    3,657 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    #74  
    Quote Originally Posted by sndtubes View Post
    It looks like I have Tom Tom up and working WITH THE PHONE TURNED OFF AND WI-FI TURNED OFF. After starting up TomTom, I switched to the Today screen and both the antenna icon and WiFi icon had X's by them which confirmed the phone and wifi were off. Therefore, TomTom MUST be using the GPS chip alone. I get 4 out of 5 bars signal inside my house, too. I am using GPSgate. I also have 2 other GPS apps installed which are also working with the phone off. So, I think that proves the GPS will work where there is no telephone service doesn't it??
    Turn your phone off, reset, leave phone off, and try it again. Let us know what happens.
  15. 1PTUser's Avatar
    Posts
    304 Posts
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    #75  
    The 800w currently needs the phone network just to start a gps session. Once the sattelite links are made then the phone network is not needed.
    I believe the goal for some is to figure out how to initiate a sat link when not in range of the phone network. If you're out of coverage areas often then this is significant. If you're almost always in a service area, then it's not. On the one hand it's nice being able to get location-based info quickly and often indoors. On the other hand I see the need for network independence. I wonder how much Sprint had to do with this.
    I've used both TomTom & IGuidance over the years. For now I'll use Sprint's version of Telenav that's bundled into my plan until a workaround is in place.
  16. #76  
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG View Post
    Turn your phone off, reset, leave phone off, and try it again. Let us know what happens.
    Very strange result. After the reset with all radios off, GPSgate reports that it is "receiving GPS data with valid position" Then when switching to GPS Test, it shows the GPS starting and just stays there. It doesn't appear to lock on to any satellite. TomTom says it is "waiting for a valid GPS signal". This is even when I'm outside. So......the saga continues.
  17. #77  
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG View Post
    Those Keys are not in the 800w's registry as far as I can tell. Use Resco Explorer to search the registry, lots of GPS named entries, just not the ones in the post above.
    NRG: Yea, the reason you can't find those keys is because palm isn't going to have an "HTC" key in the registry of the 800w.

    I have a Touch. I finally loaded the firmware update to winmo 6.1 that also unlocked my gps. I have found that the only way to get TomTom 7 to find the gps is to prime it with AstroGPSLauncher:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=364199

    This setup even installs a TomTom icon that you can use in the start menu.

    Now, launching TomTom is a one click deal using the Icon from AstroGPSLauncher.
  18. #78  
    Quote Originally Posted by sndtubes View Post
    Very strange result. After the reset with all radios off, GPSgate reports that it is "receiving GPS data with valid position" Then when switching to GPS Test, it shows the GPS starting and just stays there. It doesn't appear to lock on to any satellite. TomTom says it is "waiting for a valid GPS signal". This is even when I'm outside. So......the saga continues.
    It is not a strange result. It is what a number of us have been saying is likely the case: As configured from the factory the gps is not "stand alone" as stated and commonly understood. You do need a CDMA cell tower connection or somethin has to change..
  19. NRG
    NRG is offline
    NRG's Avatar
    Posts
    3,657 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    #79  
    [QUOTE=jabo;1463578]NRG: Yea, the reason you can't find those keys is because palm isn't going to have an "HTC" key in the registry of the 800w.[/QUOTE ]Yes, I know, hence the reason I did not search for 'HTC', but GPS.
  20. #80  
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    It is not a strange result. It is what a number of us have been saying is likely the case: As configured from the factory the gps is not "stand alone" as stated and commonly understood. You do need a CDMA cell tower connection or somethin has to change..
    That would really suck for all of the 800w owners.
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions