Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 319
  1. kwyatt's Avatar
    Posts
    56 Posts
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    #21  
    Guys, this is the real deal it's most definitely not locked down at all. I just got a lock using TomTom 6. I had the phone radio turned off before I opened TomTom. Anyone else care to try with TomTom 6 and share your results?
  2. #22  
    Kwyatt, turn off the phone radio and remove/install the battery. Run tom tom and let us know of your results.
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by kwyatt View Post
    Guys, this is the real deal it's most definitely not locked down at all. I just got a lock using TomTom 6. I had the phone radio turned off before I opened TomTom. Anyone else care to try with TomTom 6 and share your results?
    Kwyatt, could you share how you configured TomTom 6 to pick up the internal GPS? A lot of us have tried TomTom 6 now and can't get it detect any GPS signal or even that a GPS chip is available (or were you using GPSgate?). Thanks.
  4. kwyatt's Avatar
    Posts
    56 Posts
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    #24  
    Ok, you guys are right. After resetting the phone wit the radio off I could not get a lock until i turned it back with Google Maps or TomTom 6 (using GpsGate).
  5. #25  
    I thought there is a reg hack that allows you to have the phone radio off, and still use GPS.
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by kwyatt View Post
    Ok, you guys are right. After resetting the phone wit the radio off I could not get a lock until i turned it back with Google Maps or TomTom 6 (using GpsGate).
    OK I am not an expert, but spent the night reading. Isn't GpsGate a way to fake out Nav programs into thinking they have sats when it is really aGPS that is being translated into sats?

    So if you have GPSGate on wouldn't TomTom think it has the GPS working when it doesn't?
  7. #27  
    Do you need a separate service add-on for GPS to work? I'm grandfathered on the old SERO and really didn't want to upgrade...
    --Steve

    Visor-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700P-->Treo 800W-->Palm Pre-->HP Touchpad

    My DVD Collection
    My Media Room
    GovTwit Directory
    Twitter: @dslunceford
  8. NRG
    NRG is offline
    NRG's Avatar
    Posts
    3,657 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by dslunceford View Post
    Do you need a separate service add-on for GPS to work? I'm grandfathered on the old SERO and really didn't want to upgrade...
    Not that I am aware of.
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by dslunceford View Post
    Do you need a separate service add-on for GPS to work? I'm grandfathered on the old SERO and really didn't want to upgrade...
    No just for TeleNav
  10. #30  
    TurboGPS shows satellites- a lot of them.

    There must be a real GPS chip in here, and in time I'm sure we'll get the necessary hacks to get this to work.

    It would be extremely foolish for Palm/Sprint to release a navigation product that ditches you when you most need it- in the remote areas of the country without Sprint coverage.
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by dslunceford View Post
    Do you need a separate service add-on for GPS to work? I'm grandfathered on the old SERO and really didn't want to upgrade...
    Separate service is only required for the TeleNav GPS service from Sprint (it pulls down the maps live over the network). If you have your own GPS software like TomTom or Garmn, no extra service is required.
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
  12. #32  
    I think there is some confusion as to what A-GPS is. A-GPS is a regular GPS system with the ability to get assistance from an assistance server on the carrier through a data connection. I haven't found a cellphone that included GPS but not A-GPS and you cannot have A-GPS without GPS otherwise you're assisting nothing.

    Services such as Microsoft's Live and certain Sprint phones or the original iPhone's Google Maps uses tower triangulation which is not A-GPS.

    Having said that, many smart phones with GPS require the data connection to utilize GPS so it can work with the assistance servers. Most phones don't have quite as powerful GPS radios as stand alone units and need the assistance to help guide it.

    Now the Treo 800w states in its specifications that it has standalone and assisted GPS. The standalone portion, I'd imagine, should work with the data off. I won't be able to fully test it until I purchase the Treo 800w but what configurations is everyone using? Remember, a GPS is a signal that, I believe, Flight Mode turns off so you should only try turning off the data connection itself. From one of the earlier posts it sounded like they turned Flight Mode off which also disabled GPS.
  13. #33  
    Palm clearly has some disclaimers right on their website

    Quote Originally Posted by from palm's website
    *GPS not available in all areas at all times. Requires an account and data services at additional cost.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    *GPS not available in all areas at all times. Requires an account and data services at additional cost.
    It's just a general statement. Most people will use Sprint's TeleNav which requires data and, as with all signals, you may not be able to get a signal (the same happens for stane alone units).
  15. NRG
    NRG is offline
    NRG's Avatar
    Posts
    3,657 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasracer View Post
    I think there is some confusion as to what A-GPS is. A-GPS is a regular GPS system with the ability to get assistance from an assistance server on the carrier through a data connection. I haven't found a cellphone that included GPS but not A-GPS and you cannot have A-GPS without GPS otherwise you're assisting nothing.

    Services such as Microsoft's Live and certain Sprint phones or the original iPhone's Google Maps uses tower triangulation which is not A-GPS.

    Having said that, many smart phones with GPS require the data connection to utilize GPS so it can work with the assistance servers. Most phones don't have quite as powerful GPS radios as stand alone units and need the assistance to help guide it.

    Now the Treo 800w states in its specifications that it has standalone and assisted GPS. The standalone portion, I'd imagine, should work with the data off. I won't be able to fully test it until I purchase the Treo 800w but what configurations is everyone using? Remember, a GPS is a signal that, I believe, Flight Mode turns off so you should only try turning off the data connection itself. From one of the earlier posts it sounded like they turned Flight Mode off which also disabled GPS.
    My old HP6515 was aGPS, it used a program called LTOmanager to store 2 days worth of sat locations. There was a hack that allowed 10 days. Anyways, if I did not update LTO it would take the GPS forever to acquire sats. I wonder if this is the case with the Treo.
  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by Merovingian View Post
    If you have your own GPS software like TomTom or Garmn, no extra service is required.
    Are you saying if you take your handset on business to France or Japan -- which is of high utility since it has WiFi and you can stay fully connected to mail even without your laptop -- that the GPS will work with TomTom and Garmin as implied by "stand alone."

    Are you certain?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kasracer View Post
    Remember, a GPS is a signal that, I believe, Flight Mode turns off so you should only try turning off the data connection itself. From one of the earlier posts it sounded like they turned Flight Mode off which also disabled GPS.
    I agree it needs to be tested out of the country or at sea, but I find it inexpelciabnle that flight mode would turn off stand alone GPS.

    Stand alone GPS is a signal reception function. It doesn't involve any transmission by the hand unit.

    The unit is not more likely to leak any signal with standalone gps on or off.
    Last edited by aero; 07/15/2008 at 11:17 AM.
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    Are you saying if you take your handset on business to France or Japan -- which is of high utility since it has WiFi and you can stay fully connected to mail even without your laptop -- that the GPS will work with TomTom and Garmin as implied by "stand alone."

    Are you certain?
    TomTom and Garmin will work fine in other countries without a data signal as long as you have the maps for that country installed.
  18. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasracer View Post
    Now the Treo 800w states in its specifications that it has standalone and assisted GPS.
    Specifications by Palm or specifications by Sprint? In the former case, what would prevent Sprint from disabling standalone functionality?
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    Are you saying if you take your handset on business to France or Japan -- which is of high utility since it has WiFi and you can stay fully connected to mail even without your laptop -- that the GPS will work with TomTom and Garmin as implied by "stand alone."

    Are you certain?
    Time to take a vacation!
  19. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    Stand alone GPS is a signal reception function. It doesn't involve any transmission by the hand unit.

    The unit is not more likely to leak any signal with standalone gps on or off.
    I understand this but I thought certain manufacturers disabled it when in Flight mode.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluemonq View Post
    Specifications by Palm or specifications by Sprint? In the former case, what would prevent Sprint from disabling standalone functionality?
    Specified by Palm. Go to their website and click on Specs for the 800w. It specifically lists Standalone and A-GPS.

    Link: http://www.palm.com/us/products/smar...00w/specs.html
    Built-in GPS (standalone and assisted); Sprint NavigationSM; GPS-powered local search, maps, and navigation from the Today screen
  20. #40  
    You guys should try changing the AGPS registry setting from 2 to 4 like the Mogul users do. No GPS priming necessary and it even works with the phone radio turned off (on the Mougl, anyway).
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions