Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 38910111213141516 LastLast
Results 241 to 260 of 319
  1. #241  
    Quote Originally Posted by crazie.eddie View Post
    Have you tried performing a soft reset AFTER turning off the phone radio? I've performed allot of test just turning off the phone radio and all the GPS apps I used worked for the length of time I ran it (about 30-45 minutes). Unfortunately, I cannot get them to work if I performed a soft reset, after turning off the phone radio. Strangely, I'm sure it worked once, but I can't duplicate my results.
    No haven't tried this, I will try and report.
    Have a great one...Doc D.

    Phillips VELO > Palm III > Palm V > Palm 505m > Treo 180 > Treo 300 > Samsung i500 > Treo 700p > HTC 6800 > Treo 800w > Treo Pro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
  2. #242  
    Quote Originally Posted by crazie.eddie View Post
    Have you tried performing a soft reset AFTER turning off the phone radio? I've performed allot of test just turning off the phone radio and all the GPS apps I used worked for the length of time I ran it (about 30-45 minutes). Unfortunately, I cannot get them to work if I performed a soft reset, after turning off the phone radio. Strangely, I'm sure it worked once, but I can't duplicate my results.
    OK I guess you all are right and I am wrong. Tried your experiment several times and this is what I found:

    1. Turn on Location, the radio was on and the GPS worked as expected.

    2. Turned off the radio and the GPS was still able to lock and provide location.

    3. With the radio off, did a soft reset, launched the GPS and zip, nothing, nada!

    4. Turn the radio on, launch the GPS app and nothing happened either.

    5. Launched EVDO, then launched the GPS and viola, the GPS was alive again.

    6. Turned the radio off and the launched the GPS once more, it was able to lock and provide guidance.

    This behaviour certainly supports the notion that GPS services on the T800w at this point is A-GPS.
    Have a great one...Doc D.

    Phillips VELO > Palm III > Palm V > Palm 505m > Treo 180 > Treo 300 > Samsung i500 > Treo 700p > HTC 6800 > Treo 800w > Treo Pro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
  3. #243  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Aero,

    I'm adding you to my ignore list.
    Does this mean you will stop following every post on GPS standalone not working by saying "Return the device"? If so thank you.
    ....
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    No one in this biz gets "free" phones (BGR even responded to this lately; see comment #3)--they get review units which go back after the review and Dieter gets those here, so don't play the angle that I'm somehow elitist and can't relate to people. I guarantee you I make the least money here out of a lot of folks and still buy my devices in cash (Moto Q and Centro I paid full price for).

    Trying to undermine my credibility for sake of argument is the final straw as you are obviously trolling and baiting me into these dumb "fights".
    You are baiting yourself. I specifically said I didn't know whether you got review items at a discount (as is common practice) or not.

    What i said was that your various phoens you have used indicates you change phones a lot and that this is not the norm and this is skewing your view.

    I don't even want to get into the errors in your GPS v aGPS article.
  4. #244  
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoNewt View Post
    OK I guess you all are right and I am wrong. Tried your experiment several times and this is what I found:
    Don't feel bad. there is a lot of noise and denial of the actual problem. I have tested in in Europe with and without GPSgate and several GPS apps that should work with standalone. It is not standalone.
  5. #245  
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    Don't feel bad. there is a lot of noise and denial of the actual problem. I have tested in in Europe with and without GPSgate and several GPS apps that should work with standalone. It is not standalone.
    To me this is not a major issue since I do not use my phone for routine navigation (I have full featured dedicated units I use for this) but I can see how it can be annoying to those of you who do - specially since Palm actually listed stand-alone GPS as an included function on the web descriptions.
    Have a great one...Doc D.

    Phillips VELO > Palm III > Palm V > Palm 505m > Treo 180 > Treo 300 > Samsung i500 > Treo 700p > HTC 6800 > Treo 800w > Treo Pro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
  6. #246  
    I think a variety of frustrations come from the fact that many people do believe the phone is capable of standalone GPS, which I'd imagine it very well could be-

    however like a plethora of other Sprint phones, for god knows what reason it is worked-around so that it isn't possible.
    It very well could also be a mistake that it doesen't work, perhaps a standard data check that if failed is supposed to prompt standalone only mode that doesen't work- or a miscommunication in advertising.

    Everyone has made some speculation, but the fact remains-

    Standalone GPS doesen't work out of the box.

    This phone has a strange history if you ask me- and it's bizzare that it may only see a release on Sprint's network.
    Kind of a waste to put out such a small number of phones.
  7. #247  
    I don't know about you guys, but I know I bought a Treo 800w smartphone, not a Treo 800w GPS. Among other things, the GPS was just a plus. When I had my Treo 700wx, I couldn't wait for an added GPS. So about 3 months before the 800w came out, I bought a BT GPS receiver. Their cheap, from $40 and up. I got by fine without a GPS before then. I'm sure I would be screwed if I got lost in the Amazon jungle, but hey, I don't think there's a map available for it anyways.
  8. #248  
    Quote Originally Posted by crazie.eddie View Post
    I don't know about you guys, but I know I bought a Treo 800w smartphone, not a Treo 800w GPS. Among other things, the GPS was just a plus. When I had my Treo 700wx, I couldn't wait for an added GPS. So about 3 months before the 800w came out, I bought a BT GPS receiver. Their cheap, from $40 and up. I got by fine without a GPS before then. I'm sure I would be screwed if I got lost in the Amazon jungle, but hey, I don't think there's a map available for it anyways.



    My thoughts exactly. In addition, as I've said before, if gps is that important to you should have sent the phone back within your trial period. The only thing people are doing now is complaining for the sake of complaining. Although you do see a great post here and there of what people have tested to make it work (which are golden). Others just seem to post the same old crap all over the place.

    Malatesta, relax... your opinion is respected (unlike some others)... I don't always agree with you, but your opinion is always on point. The people you are talking about are baiting you for an argument... ignore them.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
  9. #249  
    Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
    You shouldn't call members dumb. He has a legitimate claim. It says right on Palm's website "Assisted and Standalone" in the feature list. Technically there could be a lawsuit here if someone wanted to go all the way with it. Making excuses and telling users to return it is not a fix either.
    VibrantRedGT, I just wanted to be on record, to let you know that on this particular matter you and I are in total agreement .
  10. #250  
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    VibrantRedGT, I just wanted to be on record, to let you know that on this particular matter you and I are in total agreement .
    And I want to go on record in saying I never said anyone was dumb. You people need to stop twisting words to fit your agenda.

    I did say it was dumb to keep a phone that does not do what you need it to do or not work in the way the manufacture intended.

    I did say it was dumb to keep a phone hoping a company will fix the problems with it.

    That is, the action is dumb, not the person.

    In a perfect world, all companies would fix things and make them better. This is reality and since Palm nor Sprint has given a public statement saying that will address it, to hold onto your phone while it does not do what you want it to do, waiting endlessly for an update that is not promised...well, that's just asking to be miserable.

    I don't buy broken products with the hope that down the road it will be fixed. But evidently I'm in the minority here.

    Then again, VibrantRedGT returned his 800w weeks ago because he was not happy with it and did not perform the way he wanted, so he's actually in agreement with me. Unless of course he thinks it was dumb of him to return and exchange it for the BB? I doubt it.
    Last edited by Malatesta; 08/28/2008 at 11:23 AM.

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  11. #251  
    what do you mean "you people"? jk meant as a joke.

    i do wish this was a real standalone gps device but i'm actually happy with it. garmin mobile xt seems to work fine without gpsgate. i'm new to all these pda/smartphone stuff so i take it as it is.
  12. #252  
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    VibrantRedGT, I just wanted to be on record, to let you know that on this particular matter you and I are in total agreement .
    So does this mean we can be friends now? Or does this mean you just made the Malatesta ignore list?

    I am standing behind you and Aero for the simple fact that at least you guys are recognizing a real issue instead of "If you don't like it return it" or my favorite one "I bought this as a phone, GPS is just a bonus.". We all know that's BS. You bought a $600 device. The fact that it makes phone calls is the bonus.

    Good luck to you guys.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

    Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

    Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
  13. #253  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post

    Then again, VibrantRedGT returned his 800w weeks ago because he was not happy with it and did not perform the way he wanted, so he's actually in agreement with me. Unless of course he thinks it was dumb of him to return and exchange it for the BB? I doubt it.
    I have also commended VibrantRedGT for returning a product he felt does not suit his needs. However, he made it clear that he does NOT feel it is "dumb" for those who have issues with the device to still have one if they desire to keep it. You said it was "dumb" to keep the device and he disagreed with you as do I. He also mentioned that telling people "just return it" does not resolve the problem, I also agree.

    I don't know what someone else's needs in a device are. So I can't claim their choice to keep the device "dumb". VibrantRedGT's issues with the Treo 800w go way beyond GPS and it was a collective set of reasons why he returned his.
  14. #254  
    Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
    So does this mean we can be friends now? Or does this mean you just made the Malatesta ignore list?
    I think it might mean both .

    I am standing behind you and Aero for the simple fact that at least you guys are recognizing a real issue instead of "If you don't like it return it" or my favorite one "I bought this as a phone, GPS is just a bonus.". We all know that's BS. You bought a $600 device. The fact that it makes phone calls is the bonus.

    Good luck to you guys.
    Well there are others such as Aero who really have real current need for stand alone GPS. My thing is, if the specs say something and the device does not do it, even if I'm not using it today I may need it tomorrow and so I expect the device to meet specs. I mean I didn't need SMS when I got a Treo that was SMS enabled and if SMS never worked on that old Treo I probably would not have cared much for my personal needs, but I'm glad SMS worked, because I found in time I could put it to good use.

    If the Treo 800w GPS worked as advertised, I just may find software to use on it. I am interested in some of the other GPS packages people talk about. I'd certainly like to test them on a trial basis. But I can't, because my GPS does not work as advertised.

    And the fact we are being locked to the carrier does not tickle me either.

    To me, this is a very small scale of the "First they came..." poem.
  15. #255  
    And the folks at Palm are very aware of all that is taking place here.

    This is confirmed to be a software issue, not a hardware issue. So Palm can and should make a patch.
  16. #256  
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    And the folks at Palm are very aware of all that is taking place here.

    This is confirmed to be a software issue, not a hardware issue. So Palm can and should make a patch.
    That is good to know... thanks....
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
  17. #257  
    darnell,

    this is sort of simple: if i need function "X" and my phone does not have function "X" (though it was suppose to) then keeping the phone is not logical if you *really* need that function (especially if another device does do function "X").

    if you don't really need function "X"/doesn't matter, then keeping it is a viable option.

    why is this controversial?

    the irony here is you, vibrant and aero are supporting Palm by telling unhappy customers not to get their money back.
  18. #258  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    darnell,

    this is sort of simple: if i need function "X" and my phone does not have function "X" (though it was suppose to) then keeping the phone is not logical if you *really* need that function (especially if another device does do function "X").

    if you don't really need function "X"/doesn't matter, then keeping it is a viable option.

    why is this controversial?
    Because it's not productive - avoiding problems does not ever lead to a fix

    Because it's too broad (yes another device has function X, but doesn't have function Y) - what other Sprint device is similar to the 800w and has standalone GPS? Some of us can afford to live without something we need for a little while, especially if we have some hope that it'll get fixed.

    Because if this ever gets fixed, then those who would have already returned their 800w's would have to go through a lot more trouble to get that phones back.

    Because it's not always an option, and not always the best solution.

    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    the irony here is you, vibrant and aero are supporting Palm by telling unhappy customers not to get their money back.
    For most, I don't think it's an issue of getting your money back. Even if I got a 800w free, I'd still expect it to work the way it is advertised. The issue here is that Palm has said one thing and given another. From what I see, darnell,vibrant, and aero are saying that Palm should understand and fix the mistake they made, rather than to ignore it like you expect them to do.

    And what if it's too late to get your money back? What do you do then? Remember, not everyone is going to get their 800w and immediately run GPS software on it and find out that their GPS won't work when they don't have signal.

    One day, after his 30 day trial period is over, Joe Blow is gonna buy TomTom so he can use it on his trip to Europe next month. Then he's gonna get to Europe and realize that his GPS doesn't work and he won't even know why. That's the kind of situation that people are upset about, and simply switching to another device isn't going to immediately solve the problem, and may actually be more expensive in the end.
  19. #259  
    Trevante

    understand: no one and I mean no one is saying that this problem should be ignored and not fixed

    we all want palm to fix it and for them to own up to the error

    but the ultimate way to express dissatisfaction is to return the device if not happy

    until Palm releases a patch (if?) I cannot with all good intent tell someone to "wait it out" if the really need the function because *maybe* it will get fixed

    i'm not sure why returning the device automatically means that one thinks the problem is not important or should not be fixed

    these are all straw man arguments as no one here is saying that this is "ok" or "just let it go"

    there is actually ZERO disagreement in this thread, just people fighting for the sake of fighting. the solution to the problem is unanimous...that is the only thing interesting in this thread!
  20. #260  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    darnell,

    this is sort of simple: if i need function "X" and my phone does not have function "X" (though it was suppose to) then keeping the phone is not logical if you *really* need that function (especially if another device does do function "X").

    if you don't really need function "X"/doesn't matter, then keeping it is a viable option.
    Reading the comments, it seems other devices are being used for GPS and they were hoping to be able to use the 800w instead of needing to keep an additional device for GPS. Their keeping their 800w is not "dumb" but for them logical based on what they need. Yes they need GPS and for their circumstances, no they don't need to return the 800w. Perhaps there are other things about the 800w that they still enjoy, but were hoping that the convergence device would work as advertised.

    why is this controversial?
    Why are you calling someone's choice to keep a Treo 800w "dumb" when you have no clue what their personal needs are? I find their speaking up about the matter very logical and Palm reads these boards.

    the irony here is you, vibrant and aero are supporting Palm by telling unhappy customers not to get their money back.
    I support the owners doing as they please and don't consider their choice to keep or return the device "dumb".

Posting Permissions