Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 LastLast
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Roper View Post
    I received this reply from Sprint customer care:

"Jibber Jabber... Keywords: At this time I
    do not have any information on when this fix will be released. /Keywords
    Please
    let us know if you need any further Jibber Jabber.

Sincerely,
    Cassy F.
    Sprint"
    Please consider the source. Sprint "customer care" is known for telling customers exactly what they want to hear. What do they think we are, sheep? Bahh!! baaaahhh!!!

Let's hope the correspondence between mbressman and the Palm techs can produce a simple solution.
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...&postcount=173
    Friend, you are the one who is doing most of the complaining, you seem to be the "constant complainer" here in fact, complaining about the owners who have noted an advertised feature deosn't work.

You also seem unable to read while criticizing all the others who can read. Sprint itself will tell you -- TODAY -- that the "standalone GPS" is supposed to work as standalone but is not working as it should. I spoke with third tier support -- they blame Palm. Notes from tech support also say they are working on a fix.

Palm has advertised standalone GPS. They say so in their spect sheets. You are referring to footnotes about the aGPS which is a different feature than the the Standalone GPS.

You don't even know the terms of Sprint's policies -- you can't return it after 30 days.

Newflalsh my friend: you are the one without a "constructive" answer. Those of us who have contacted Sprint and Palm and stated that they are going to get hit with deceptive advertising are the ones who forced a fix to be considered.

Standing up for your consumer rights does not make one a "complainer." You are suggesting people act like sheep

Please do better readinga nd read about the standalone GPS mentioned multiple times in Palms materials (not the aGPS feature you keep on about).

Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    and as I've already stated, there were instances were palm had the wrong info... in other places they had the right info. If gps was important to you, the person should have performed more research. In addition, if palm lied, you can send the device back. If you want to keep it, offer solutions. Before you start calling someone a troll read wtf they have said. Thanks....

I've more than followed these threads and constant complainers not offering solutions but stating the same things over and over in different threads. Get some posting once saying the device is nice then some who post multiple times about how bad it is... it is ridiculous, at best.
    Pretty much the same as what top tier Sprint support told me this morning. there is a new memo on this from customer complaints

Quote Originally Posted by Roper View Post
    I received this reply from Sprint customer care:
    "At this time we are aware that GPS is not functioning without a Sprint
    signal. As it is supposed to function without a Sprint signal; this is
    clearly in error, and a fix is currently being prepared. At this time I
    do not have any information on when this fix will be released. Please
    let us know if you need any further information at this time.

Thank you again for contacting Sprint. We appreciate your business.

Sincerely,
    Cassy F.
    Sprint"
  4. aph
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    Someone just posted that standalone GPS works with GPSGate. I could see this since GPSGate parses the signals differently sometimes. Anyone want to try this?
    I've tried GPS Tuner with GpsGate and I was successful.

Here's what I did...
    1. Turned off phone radio
    2. Soft reset device
    3. Started GPS Gate, waited until icon turned green.
    4. Start GPS Tuner. It stated GPS signal found.
    5. I also dialed ##GPS# and saw active GPS settings.

I haven't tried Garmin or TomTom yet, since I have to reactivate it on my new 800w, but I think they will be successful as well.
    ^^^ You had to get a replacement already?
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    ^^^ You had to get a replacement already?
    Yeah, even though I never had any major problems with it. I did experience the garbled phone call once, but it never happened again. I figured since everyone was saying their 2nd replacement was better, I figured I might as well jump in on the band wagon. Strangely, the day I received my replacement 800w, my original one died. The meter would stay about 1/3. I've left it all day until the battery died. My thoughts are, it new it was being replaced, so it threw a tantrum.
    Regarding the GPS with GPSgate without a Sprint Network...

I ran a few short tests (my travel was short). I was able to use GPS Gate with TomTom without the network for awhile, but for some reason, I lost signal and I was never able to get any satellites.

1. GPS Gate was already running with TomTom.
    2. Exited TomTom 7
    3. Turned off the phone radio
    4. Started TomTom 7 and planned a route.
    5. After 10 minutes, I stopped at a gas station. I rested my phone on the visor, so nobody can see it. I was hoping it would still see the satellites. I happened to see an old friend at the gas station, so I was there for about 15 minutes. When I came back to the car, it appeared the TomTom 7 was still working. But after moving, my movement was not being tracked. Exiting and starting GPS Gate and TomTom7 didn't help, so I turned off the phone radio and started just from the beginning.
    6. Turned on the Phone Radio
    7. Started GPS Gate
    8. Started TomTom7 and planned my route.
    9. Turned off the phone radio

After about 30 minutes of driving, my route was still being tracked.

While stationary, I tried turning off the phone radio, soft resetting, then starting GPS Gate. I was not able to acquire any satellites. Strangely, I was able to do it before, in my room. I didn't really have clear access to any satellites in my room, unless someone hid some GPS satellites in my room that I wasn't aware of.

I will keep trying to perform some tests.
    Eddie,
    If you conduct the same tests outside the states, and I have, you would find you can't get it to work at all.

Quote Originally Posted by crazie.eddie View Post
    Regarding the GPS with GPSgate without a Sprint Network...

I ran a few short tests (my travel was short). I was able to use GPS Gate with TomTom without the network for awhile, but for some reason, I lost signal and I was never able to get any satellites.

1. GPS Gate was already running with TomTom.
    2. Exited TomTom 7
    3. Turned off the phone radio
    4. Started TomTom 7 and planned a route.
    5. After 10 minutes, I stopped at a gas station. I rested my phone on the visor, so nobody can see it. I was hoping it would still see the satellites. I happened to see an old friend at the gas station, so I was there for about 15 minutes. When I came back to the car, it appeared the TomTom 7 was still working. But after moving, my movement was not being tracked. Exiting and starting GPS Gate and TomTom7 didn't help, so I turned off the phone radio and started just from the beginning.
    6. Turned on the Phone Radio
    7. Started GPS Gate
    8. Started TomTom7 and planned my route.
    9. Turned off the phone radio

After about 30 minutes of driving, my route was still being tracked.

While stationary, I tried turning off the phone radio, soft resetting, then starting GPS Gate. I was not able to acquire any satellites. Strangely, I was able to do it before, in my room. I didn't really have clear access to any satellites in my room, unless someone hid some GPS satellites in my room that I wasn't aware of.

I will keep trying to perform some tests.
    I changed the Com on Settings/GPS/Programs from GPD1 to COM0 and I am able to get a GPS fix with the radio off using BeelineGPS and Live Search. The former shows no satelite strength signals for any satelite, however it navigates well; for some reason this information is not sent by the GPS chip to the program, very odd!

With Live Search I was able to get a GPS signal using COM0 (but not with GDP1) and the radio off. The fix was actually a little faster that with the default port configuration.
    Have a great one...Doc D.

Phillips VELO > Palm III > Palm V > Palm 505m > Treo 180 > Treo 300 > Samsung i500 > Treo 700p > HTC 6800 > Treo 800w > Treo Pro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    I got GPSGate to work with TomTom 7 also.

I too use a COM port. I have never heard of GDP port until I get my 800w.

One thing I notice is when I start GPSGate, it does a dialup using #777. I wonder what is this all about?
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    Eddie,
    If you conduct the same tests outside the states, and I have, you would find you can't get it to work at all.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't turning off the phone radio simulate being outside the states, correct? (ie, no Sprint network) What nav app have you used?

Someone stated that were able to use GPSGate and a nav app without a Sprint Network (phone radio off). Being skeptical, I wanted to see if this was possible. I know when I was just goofing around with GPSGate the other night, I turned off the phone radio, performed a soft reset, started GPSGate and I was able to acquire my GPS position using GPS Tuner and also ##GPS#. Strangely, I cannot duplicate the results.
    Quote Originally Posted by chong67 View Post
    I got GPSGate to work with TomTom 7 also.

I too use a COM port. I have never heard of GDP port until I get my 800w.

One thing I notice is when I start GPSGate, it does a dialup using #777. I wonder what is this all about?

My Touch with WM6.1 dials u too when you first ask for a sat. fix.
    TomTom 6 on my Touch will not turn GPS on by itself. You first have to use LiveSearch and click get GPS position, then with live still open launch TomTom. Dat. fix is almost instant.

I called Tom Tom and HTC, Tom Tom instructions posted in this thread donot work, they referred me to HTC support.
    HTC says that Sprint locked down the GPS so you would use the Sprint Navigation software built in. He said if you get TomTom working in any way good for you!! as it is not supported.

My conclusion is Sprint did same thing with Mogul, 800W and Touch.
    It is a pain to have to launch another program first to use TomTom, but at least it works with out using the BT receiver.
    Still waiting for Hitachi to reintroduce the G1000 with a VGA screen and more memory. I still miss that crash prone beauty.
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    Really?

I read somewhere that the TT6 and iGuidance 4 could not start is because of the software. That was on my Mogul.

Sprint lock down the GPS?
    Quote Originally Posted by crazie.eddie View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't turning off the phone radio simulate being outside the states, correct? (ie, no Sprint network) What nav app have you used?

Someone stated that were able to use GPSGate and a nav app without a Sprint Network (phone radio off). Being skeptical, I wanted to see if this was possible. I know when I was just goofing around with GPSGate the other night, I turned off the phone radio, performed a soft reset, started GPSGate and I was able to acquire my GPS position using GPS Tuner and also ##GPS#. Strangely, I cannot duplicate the results.
    You are, unfortunately wrong. I have tried it with gamin, tomtom and igo. with and without gpsgate. I've had them all working with radio off in the states, but it wont work overseas. even with the radio off the 800w initiates a request to a tower (agps only).

Sprint and Palm know it wont work without a tower.
    Quote Originally Posted by Palm_forlackofchoice View Post
    ...My conclusion is Sprint did same thing with Mogul, 800W and Touch.
    It is a pain to have to launch another program first to use TomTom, but at least it works with out using the BT receiver.
    Not with the Mogul, after the last couple of ROM updates the free-standing GPS was finally unlocked. Now with or without the radio on, you can use the Mogul GPS receiver with most any program.
    Have a great one...Doc D.

Phillips VELO > Palm III > Palm V > Palm 505m > Treo 180 > Treo 300 > Samsung i500 > Treo 700p > HTC 6800 > Treo 800w > Treo Pro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoNewt View Post
    Not with the Mogul, after the last couple of ROM updates the free-standing GPS was finally unlocked. Now with or without the radio on, you can use the Mogul GPS receiver with most any program.

So with the Mogul, if you launch TomTom6 with no other app running it will navigate?

I have tried most every combination of settings in the GPS setting section in the Touch and cannot get GPS in TomTom until I use Live Search and say get GPS position, then I can launch TomTom on my Touch and it will work.
    Still waiting for Hitachi to reintroduce the G1000 with a VGA screen and more memory. I still miss that crash prone beauty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Palm_forlackofchoice View Post
    My conclusion is Sprint did same thing with Mogul, 800W and Touch.
    The 800w GPS is not locked. TomTom is not designed to see the internal GPS receiver. TomTom7 is, but it's designed for HTC Diamond, so I doubt they would even want to support TomTom7 on the 800w, when we are not supposed to have it. This is why many people use GPSGate. Garmin, Live Search, Google Maps do not require 3rd party apps to use the internal GPS on the 800w.
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    I know why TT7 does not work when you turn off your phone even when you have GPSGate in green light.

If you look carefully at the TT7 screen, when you have your phone turn off, TT7 thinks you are in flight mode! Then you are not suppose to use it. You can confirm this on the main screen and on the GPS screen. Look at those tiny text.

Its kinda stupid.

TT6 have the volume turn off because it think you are on the phone.

Proof I am wrong.
    crazy edie, I disagree that tt6 does not see internal gps. they have instructions on the website that are also posted in this thread. also hp makes a wm5 ipaq with builtin gps and tt6 in rom.