Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jwebb56 View Post
    Berd: A third party app that use 240x230 or 320x240 of the Pro's screen. Curious how readable that is.
    Do you have one in mind?

There's a lot of apps that look good on both rectangle and square screens. Most the apps I used on my 8525 also looked good on my 750, in turn - looked good on my Pro, and still look good at 96dpi
    Quote Originally Posted by Me2 View Post
    RealVGA is the name of a freeware application/hack for Windows Mobile 6. It supercedes hacks like oZVGA and TrueVGA which were around for WM5.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=327830

On a device with a VGA 640x480 screen, Windows Mobile uses pixel doubling to emulate a standard QVGA 320x240 screen. This makes most software display exactly the same as it does on QVGA, with the same sized fonts and number of lines etc., but with much smoother fonts.

Worse still, on a device with a 320x320 screen, WM "pretends" the screen is actually 240x240, so displays exactly the same info as you would see on a 240x240 screen (e.g. Treo 750, Ipaq 69xx), but with smoother fonts. Pretty pathetic really, when you consider you have a higher res screen, but can only display less information than a standard 320x240 PocketPC!

Microsoft's reason for all this is to allow you to run any WM application designed for an "old" QVGA screen, without it having to be VGA-aware. Much the same as hi-res 320x320 screens on PalmOS devices pixel-double all the menus and standard Palm applications that were written to work with the "original" 160x160 Palm Pilot screens.

The higher res does allows you to reduce the text size smaller than you would on a QVGA screen (e.g. to 6pt on the Today screen) but still be able to read it, and some applications will use the higher res mode internally if they specifically support it - but you still have to put up with the huge top and bottom status bars and OS menus / limited lines.

What the RealVGA application does is to force Windows Mobile 6 and above to dispense with the emulation and run everything at the native resolution of the screen. So on a VGA screen, all the title bars, menus and fonts are shrunk to 50%. This makes best use of the new hardware, but it also means text can be very small, as effectively you're just shrinking what people used to view on old 12-14" VGA PC monitors down to a couple of inches! This works fine on a 5 or 3.5" screen (e.g. HTC Advantage or Universal) but you need really good eyesight to use it on the common 2.8" VGA screened smartphone.

However, on a 320x320 screen, it works pretty well. I use it on my Samsung i780 and while the text is small, it is perfectly readable, and well worth the extra information you can squeeze onto the screen.

RealVGA allows you to switch between resolutions at will, with just a soft reset required to change. On a VGA device you get the choice of 144, 128 and 96dpi and on a 320x320 screen, 128 and 96dpi (96dpi is the highest res, smallest font mode the screen will do).

As for using it on the new Palms, although originally written for the HTC Advantage, RealVGA worked pretty much straight away on the i780 (which was the first WM device with a 320x320 screen), so hopefully it should be pretty straightforward to use on the Palm. The only real difficulty is with a few programs that use non-scalable graphics that need a bit of tweaking to look right (e.g. phone dialler skins, games etc).
    Thank you for your detailed response. This is both interesting, and disturbing, insofar that any Treo 800w/Treo Pro customer would expect "TRUE" 320x320 TFT LCD?? So it isn't???

I must say I was a little perplexed as to why my Treo Pro (320x320) would also "only" allow 7 items for the Start menu on the Today screen, as does my Treo 750 (240x240)...

Feels like a joke really...and a a few apps still say "Incompatible with 320x320 screen resolution". Now do we have TRUE 320x320 on our Treo 800w/Treo Pro's, or do I have to take additional steps to gain more screen real estate??

The Blackberry Bold advertises 480x320 screen res. Is it the same with the BB's, or this is what? A Windows Mobile issue??

Assuming I understand this correctly, that would be cause for some concern...!???

Then again, maybe I'm missing something here...Please elaborate, Me2, and anyone else?? This is very curious to me!
    Treo Pro | Blackberry Bold OS 4.6.0.167 | Slingbox PRO-HD | Plantronics 665 Bluetooth

Internet Sharing tethering app --> Awesome

I think this would work, because it uses the same screen size 320x320 and its 96dpi.

Cortez.i actually installed the same theme, but he rebuilt it to work with 128dpi.
    discussion.treocentral.com/showpost.php?p=1506081&postcount=22

Try this blue touchflow theme :
    forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=2732464&postcount=70

I wanted a blue theme on my i780. So decided to recolor the great Havoc theme.

Here is a modded blue version of Havoc i780 Manilla2D theme.
    Copy the contents into :
    "Windows\"
    and
    "Windows\manilafgx"

directories, thats all.

And use RealVGA. Cos it is a 96 DPI version.

Have fun...
    dRMuRti
    *The forum, wont let me hyperlink anything since im a new member.
    Hi all,

Confused about this issue with resolution. Have the treo pro about a week now.
    Installed RealVGA yesterday morning. worked fine until i realised that the ringer wasnt working when I received a call and no name or phone number wa displayed.

I uninstalled it and the phone crashed. Error with device.exe - asked to send error report to Microsoft but the phone couldnt connect to Wifi or GPRS so I had to do a full reset on the unit. Works fine now without RealVGA.

It's a pity as I liked the increased space. Not sure if i should try it again.

Anyway, I emailed palm tech support explaining the issue and asked why the device is advertised as 320 x320 yet you need a hack to actually get it.

This is the reply:

We explain you that the screen resolution of the Treo Pro is of 320x320 dpi. We strongly recommend you not to download any third party software that promises a high resolution. This kind of software might interfere with the correct functioning of the device.

If you have any further questions please contact us again.

Any ideas? He says it is 320 x320 so now i'm confused!

Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by artvandulet View Post
    Have the treo pro about a week now. Installed RealVGA yesterday morning. worked fine until i realised that the ringer wasnt working when I received a call and no name or phone number wa displayed.
    My treo pro is working well with RealVGA in 96dpi mode, with ringer, name, number displaying with incoming calls. However, I made sure i didn't tick the "disable phone skin" box.

Treo Pro is working in 320x320 resolution, however in default 128dpi mode the extra resolution is consumed by bigger fonts/icons. Only with RealVGA 96dpi do we get smaller fonts/icons and allow us the extra info provide by the 320x320 screen resolution.
    regards, sabre23t =^.^=
    I just installed RealVGA and my keyboard stopped working.
    Just kidding
    All is fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by sabre23t View Post
    Treo Pro is working in 320x320 resolution, however in default 128dpi mode the extra resolution is consumed by bigger fonts/icons. Only with RealVGA 96dpi do we get smaller fonts/icons and allow us the extra info provide by the 320x320 screen resolution.
    Gotcha. Its a shame they didnt just include the option on the phone.
    I'll try it again and untick that box - don't think I did that last time.
    Now if only I can find out why the phone locks up about 5 times a day!
    Cheers.
    Right, Its working now and I also installed batti as suggested which is great.
    Can i remove the default battery icon thats corrupted with realVGA? I think I've seen screen caps with it removed but can't find how to do it on the device.
    Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by artvandulet View Post
    Right, Its working now and I also installed batti as suggested which is great.
    Can i remove the default battery icon thats corrupted with realVGA? I think I've seen screen caps with it removed but can't find how to do it on the device.
    Thanks.
    The instructions, and the possible benifits and losses are in this thread:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=172692

I first mention it in post #16, but you should really read the whole thread (only 4 pages) before doing the hack.
    Just call me Berd.
    Thanks.
    Global Posts
    230 Global Posts
    Berd: the 3rd party apps I'm most interested in are Intelligolf and iGuidance. They both work fine on my 750 and I'd expect that w/o RealVGA they would just be expanded to the full screen, effectively negating the extra resolution. Neither one supports 320x320 natively (per their tech support).

What I was wondering is if i used RealVGA in 96dpi and got them running as 240x320, how woujld it display. I know I's lose a bit of the screen but if it was still legible I'd gain more info on the screen. Probably a trade I'd make as long as the display was crisp and clean.

BTW, I'm probably pulling the trigger this week for the EPIX over the Pro. Hope the EPIX runs RealVGA correctly for me and that I can get its aGPS to support iGuidance. I'd really hate to use a bluetooth GPS -- that'd probably cause me to return it.
    Post me a link to the apps you want me to try.
    Global Posts
    230 Global Posts
    Berd: Here's the URL to Intelligolf's trial version:
    http://www.intelligolf.com/trials.asp

iGuidance is sold via flash card or CD only so that's not an option to try. Besides, the Intelligolf test will tell me what I need to know.

Thanks.
    par, eagle, or birdie
    I downloade par.
    It all looks fine, text is pretty small though.
    I can upload some screen captures a little later.
    Global Posts
    230 Global Posts
    Any of them will do (difference is features not the basic display). Look forward to the screen shots and thanks again. You are doing this on a Treo Pro, right?
    Treo Pro with RealVGA 96dpi
    I tried this but found it all a bit too small for my not-so-young eyes. Spb shell wouldn't work with it either. I could see that it would be nice otherwise though.
    Will this affect video playback on programs like Kinoma?
    Quote Originally Posted by jwebb56 View Post
    Any of them will do (difference is features not the basic display). Look forward to the screen shots and thanks again. You are doing this on a Treo Pro, right?
    I just realized I never posted those screenshots
    And now they're gone.
    Either way, the app didn't occupy the whole screen. Kinda like 75% of the top left screen. text was really small.
    So far, of all the apps I use, all is fine.
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast