Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I do not have the 800w yet but I stopped at the Sprint store to check to out. One thing I would not like it the threaded text program. I use text messages for my system alerts my as a form of messaging. When I get the 800w I would like the standard outlook to manage my text messages.
    I thought the threaded SMS was standard for WM 6.1. Or is it a Palm customization?
    Quote Originally Posted by Painter_ View Post
    I do not have the 800w yet but I stopped at the Sprint store to check to out. One thing I would not like it the threaded text program. I use text messages for my system alerts my as a form of messaging. When I get the 800w I would like the standard outlook to manage my text messages.
    You can change the setting in the options to never thread messages in chat style. This will allow you text messages to appear individually as desired.
  4.    #4  
    Thank you for the information. I assumed that it was the Palm SMS. I guess I was wrong. I am glad That it is a simple option that allows the switch.

Now I need to work on Sprint to order one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Painter_ View Post
    Thank you for the information. I assumed that it was the Palm SMS. I guess I was wrong. I am glad That it is a simple option that allows the switch.

Now I need to work on Sprint to order one.
    I could be wrong, but I believe windows adapted palms threaded program. Either way the option is there to turn the threaded chat style off.
    Quote Originally Posted by azkevman View Post
    I could be wrong, but I believe windows adapted palms threaded program. Either way the option is there to turn the threaded chat style off.
    that's good to know.
    But you are still not using poutlook. I would like to be able to use poutlook so I can use the shortcuts and flip back and forth between sms and email by pressing the left and right nav buttons. Plus, Palm's app does not have a spell check.

I dont think there are a lot of us who want this, but I know there are a few. It has to be a registry thing.
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    Quote Originally Posted by robber View Post
    But you are still not using poutlook. I would like to be able to use poutlook so I can use the shortcuts and flip back and forth between sms and email by pressing the left and right nav buttons. Plus, Palm's app does not have a spell check.

I dont think there are a lot of us who want this, but I know there are a few. It has to be a registry thing.
    I want to be able to use the threaded SMS that's built into WM6.1 simply so that you only need to use the one line Messaging plugin for the Today Screen instead of the two separate lines the 800w currently uses (one for email, one for text messages).
    PDAPhoneHome Moderator
    I also would like to be able to use WM6.1's built in SMS vs. Palm's, not only because I like being able to flip between email and SMS within the same messaging application, but also so that I can use Jeyo's Mobile Companion application to import all my old SMS messages from my Treo 700wx...anyone know how to disable Palm's and re-enable the default WM6.1 SMS app? Thanks!
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    I would also like the old 6.1 sms app as I could send a message longer than 160 characters...
    Looks like the only way to do it would be to port it from another device. It might be possible, but I don't see the stuff in ROM that's required.
    Is there no registry tweak or something to allow messages over 160 characters?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lepricon View Post
    Is there no registry tweak or something to allow messages over 160 characters?
    I'm curious about this, too. Why would it list the number of messages if it won't allow you to go more than 1.
    I think someone covered the registry hack to extend the characters beyond 160...now if I could only find it.
    Quote Originally Posted by paigoomein View Post
    I think someone covered the registry hack to extend the characters beyond 160...now if I could only find it.
    Covered here: http://discussion.wmexperts.com/showthread.php?t=167161
    the registry entry you need to change is:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Palm\Varnish\Messaging\SMS]
    "MaxPartsPerMsg"=dword:0000000A (10)

For some reason it is only set to 1 on the 800w. Change it to 10 and you'll be able to send up to 10 160 character texts.

Note: after you change the registry you'll need to open the task manager to kill the Messaging app. Then go to the today screen and hit the left softkey to start it again. Works, just tried it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    Looks like the only way to do it would be to port it from another device. It might be possible, but I don't see the stuff in ROM that's required.
    If you refer to this thread (http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh....php?t=139379), it explains how to install the Palm threaded SMS app on a device using the regular messaging app for SMS. I tried this on my Treo 700wx and it worked (I had to overwrite ROM files). I'm wondering if we could do the reverse...extract the files that are being overwritten from a WM6.1 fresh build or ROM dump and then use them to overwrite the files currently on the Treo 800w (and perhaps with a little additional tweaking and reversing the instructions in that post I linked to above, we can get the regular WM6.1 messaging app to handle SMS).

The only problem that is preventing me from testing this is I can't seem to extract those files. I figured I could pull them from the WM6.1 emulator, but no matter what application I try (Resco File Explorer, SKTools, Total Commander, etc.) it won't let me copy those files out of the \Windows directory.

If someone can figure out how to dump the ROM and get those files, or copy them someway, I can test this theory out since I happen to have an extra Treo 800w (or at least I'll have one for another few days).

As a reference, here are the files that are being referred too (although who knows if in WM6.1 there are additional files that might be necessary):
    - htmlnote.dll
    - mailtrns.dll
    - mdsmailsvc.dll
    - msgmnuext.dll
    - msgmnuext_enus.dll
    - pimgdll.dll
    - poutlook.exe
    - tkitapp.exe
    - tmail.exe
    - tmailutl.dll
    - tmarshaller.exe
    - tpcutil.dll
    - webview.dll
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    It would be great if someone could figure this out. I read this post before I got the 800w and thought the author was crazy for not wanting palm’s enhancements. But after using it I think threaded SMS is nice, but I too don’t want it at the expense of having to waste an extra line on the today screen and loosing the ability to quickly switch back between email using the left/right keys.
    Anyone come up with any way to revert back to WM6.1 SMS ??
    Could It be ripped out of the touch rom?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast