Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by rattler459 View Post
    Could It be ripped out of the touch rom?
    I would really like the standard WM 6.1 Pocket Outlook... If this can be done I'd be very pleased.
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    +1
    Once again, thanks Palm (sarcasm) for forcing us to use your sub-standard SMS messaging app instead of sticking with the better (in my opinion) built-in WM6.1 app or at least giving us the option to revert back to the built-in app. Here are just a few of the issues that I'm experiencing by being forced to stick with the Palm SMS app:

- Once you are in a "conversation" with someone, you can't mark the most recent received SMS from them as unread and have it show up on the today screen plugin
    - Unlike the built-in messaging app, you can't easily move messages from one folder to another and back again
    - Without a hack, you can't go over 160 characters
    - There is no way to copy over old SMS messages (sent and received) from a previous device unless you happened to be using Palm's SMS app (which wasn't even offered officially on my old device - Treo 700wx) (see my post here: http://discussion.wmexperts.com/show...4&postcount=18)
    - There is no icon that displays in the top status bar (next to the Start menu icon) to let you know that you have new SMS messages waiting
    - you can't use the left and right arrow keys when viewing one message (or conversation) to go to the next message (or conversation)
    - you can't use the left and right arrow keys when viewing the SMS messaging account to go to other accounts (as you could if the built-in messaging app was used)
    - there is now two plug-ins on the today screen instead of one nice plug-in
    - someone mentioned something about spell check (that it was included in the WM6.1 messaging app but not the Palm SMS app - not sure if this is correct or not)

Is there anything really special or unique that the Palm messaging app can do that the WM6.1 couldn't? Why did Palm feel the need to include their own app that is clearly much more limited when they could have just left the WM6.1??

I would love to be able to revert back to the WM6.1 built-in app for SMS text messaging!
    Quote Originally Posted by mbressman View Post
    Once again, thanks Palm (sarcasm) for forcing us to use your sub-standard SMS messaging app instead of sticking with the better (in my opinion) built-in WM6.1 app or at least giving us the option to revert back to the built-in app. Here are just a few of the issues that I'm experiencing by being forced to stick with the Palm SMS app:

- Once you are in a "conversation" with someone, you can't mark the most recent received SMS from them as unread and have it show up on the today screen plugin
    - Unlike the built-in messaging app, you can't easily move messages from one folder to another and back again
    - There is no way to copy over old SMS messages (sent and received) from a previous device unless you happened to be using Palm's SMS app (which wasn't even offered officially on my old device - Treo 700wx) (see my post here: http://discussion.wmexperts.com/show...4&postcount=18)
    - There is no icon that displays in the top status bar (next to the Start menu icon) to let you know that you have new SMS messages waiting
    - you can't use the left and right arrow keys when viewing one message (or conversation) to go to the next message (or conversation)
    - you can't use the left and right arrow keys when viewing the SMS messaging account to go to other accounts (as you could if the built-in messaging app was used)
    - there is now two plug-ins on the today screen instead of one nice plug-in
    - someone mentioned something about spell check (that it was included in the WM6.1 messaging app but not the Palm SMS app - not sure if this is correct or not)

Is there anything really special or unique that the Palm messaging app can do that the WM6.1 couldn't? Why did Palm feel the need to include their own app that is clearly much more limited when they could have just left the WM6.1??

I would love to be able to revert back to the WM6.1 built-in app for SMS text messaging!
    Wow did I miss out on a lot! As a newcomer to WM and PPC and to Palm, I didn't know that the 6.1 SMS app offered a lot more than the Palm app. It would be nice to get the regular app back.
    I agree with everything you say but I want to mention that this point is not due to the Palm SMS application. It's actually a limit put in place by either Sprint or Palm on all Palm WM phones. My 700wx also had this same limitation without the Palm SMS application.

To be honest, everything you mentioned isn't a negative in my book. I like having my e-mail separated (though every so often I do hit left or right to switch so that would be nice) and I hate having unread messages.

But my opinions should show that Palm should have given options to go one way or another.
    Global Posts
    146 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mbw163 View Post
    Wow did I miss out on a lot! As a newcomer to WM and PPC and to Palm, I didn't know that the 6.1 SMS app offered a lot more than the Palm app. It would be nice to get the regular app back.
    Yes, prior to 6.1, Palm SMS was better. But 6.1 SMS beats Palm, IMO.
    I might be willing to attempt to replace the Palm app with the outlook sms, but I would need the WM6.1 files from a device that doesn't have Palm Messaging on it and the full reg dump along with it. Preferably at the same WM6.1 build level. If someone is willing to do the legwork on getting me those things I'll take a stab at reverting the Palm Message from the 800w and put it in a cab install.
    Hmmm. I wonder if PushEffect isn't working on the 800w, because it's using Palms threaded SMS instead of WM 6.1. They claim it to work on an Ipaq PPC with WM 6.1.

It could also explain why the SMS icon doesn't work in Spb Mobile Shell.
    Quote Originally Posted by hannip View Post
    I might be willing to attempt to replace the Palm app with the outlook sms, but I would need the WM6.1 files from a device that doesn't have Palm Messaging on it and the full reg dump along with it. Preferably at the same WM6.1 build level. If someone is willing to do the legwork on getting me those things I'll take a stab at reverting the Palm Message from the 800w and put it in a cab install.

My wife has a touch running WM 6.1 if you could point me to some place that I could learn how to give you what you would need I will do it
    Quote Originally Posted by rattler459 View Post
    My wife has a touch running WM 6.1 if you could point me to some place that I could learn how to give you what you would need I will do it
    Let's start with the reg dump. Use your favorite reg editor to dump the entire registry. For example with Resco you go to the root of the registry and press/hold till a popup appears then select Export. Fill in the file name and when done send the file to hannip AT aol DOT com.
    Quote Originally Posted by hannip View Post
    Let's start with the reg dump. Use your favorite reg editor to dump the entire registry. For example with Resco you go to the root of the registry and press/hold till a popup appears then select Export. Fill in the file name and when done send the file to hannip AT aol DOT com.
    Email sent with the reg and version info.
    Thanks hannip
    Hannip,

I'd be happy to help too...although I don't have any other WM6.1 device. But if there's anything I can do to assist (any other legwork that is) just let me know.
    Hannip,

I'd be happy to help too...although I don't have any other WM6.1 device. But if there's anything I can do to assist (any other legwork that is) just let me know.
    Hannips beta is out and working nicely. Check the other thread.
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by robber View Post
    Hannips beta is out and working nicely. Check the other thread.
    Can someone give a link to this? I can't seem to find it. Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by greenlion View Post
    Can someone give a link to this? I can't seem to find it. Thanks
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=168468
    Global Posts
    680 Global Posts
    Anyone do a ROM dump from the Treo Pro yet and make available for hannip?
    Palm III -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Dell Axim X5 Advanced -> Dell Axim X3i -> Dell Axim X50v -> Cingular 8125 -> Sprint Palm Treo 700Wx -> ->Palm Treo 700P (my wife's but I played with it ) -> Sprint Mogul -> Treo 800w -> Touch Pro & Treo Pro.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12