Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    http://www.brighthand.com/default.asp?newsID=14178

Seems decidedly negative to me, but it doesn't phase me as the longer I live, the more I realize that it's the details that make the difference between a successful device and a failure, not specs.

Ok, attention to detail + advertising.

Part of me wants the Treo 800w to be successful b/c it can only help us, but I'm resigned to the fact that my joy will be a solitary experience while everyone goes nuts over devices with the latest processors, glossy finishes, etc.
    When the reviewers complained the stylus (mobilitytoday), I believe they are not the Treo users. When I am using my Treo 750 and Centro, I seldom use the stylus. If I need to tap the screen, I will use my finger. Most of the time (more than 95%), I don't need to tap the screen. That's why I don't bother whether it is a good stylus like Treo 750 or cheap stylus like Centro.
    nit picking the stylus is hilarious.

it is certainly worth mentioning in a review, but to hold it against the device?

c'mon...

most eschew the stylus with a treo and if you don't there are other solutions for about $5, but it's really a superficial critique of the device itself

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by pufftissue View Post
    http://www.brighthand.com/default.asp?newsID=14178

Seems decidedly negative to me, but it doesn't phase me as the longer I live, the more I realize that it's the details that make the difference between a successful device and a failure, not specs.

Ok, attention to detail + advertising.

Part of me wants the Treo 800w to be successful b/c it can only help us, but I'm resigned to the fact that my joy will be a solitary experience while everyone goes nuts over devices with the latest processors, glossy finishes, etc.
    I did not think it was positive or negative... it was what a review is suppose to be: fair. Some might not like his bottom line though...

IMO, anyway.....

Conclusion

(view large image)

The 800w finally brings the Treo line into feature parity with other contemporary smartphones for the first time. Whether that, combined with the Palm brand, is enough to draw in users despite some of the drawbacks is another question.

My own feeling is that while the 800w isn't necessarily a bad unit, the fact is that Palm's just now packing in features that other manufacturers have already done, and better. Palm needed a knockout device, and while the 800w may fulfill the niche for the retiring 700w, it's not very likely to bring people breaking Palm's doors down.

Pros:

Wi-Fi with hardware button
    Internal GPS
    Reasonable price with new contract

Cons:

Inadequate battery life
    Thick
    Micro-USB connector
    GPS cannot be used without cellular connection

Bottom Line:

Palm has significantly improved its Windows-based Treo line, but a small battery and poor GPS implementation keep it from achieving its full potential.
    Last edited by theog; 07/14/2008 at 12:09 PM.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    After 24 hours, I like my 800w thus far, though I don't love it yet....gotta get certain apps to work (keylight, TCMP Flash Youtube, Tom Tom 6) However, I too find the flimsy stylus to be a bummer when compared to that tough steel stylus off the 700wx. Nothing major, I know, but a grievance nonetheless.
    not yet having the device in hand myself, I also felt that the review was a fair one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    nit picking the stylus is hilarious.

it is certainly worth mentioning in a review, but to hold it against the device?
    I have had treo 755p since March, I have yet to use the stylus. I dont need them for navigating my devices. The mogul's stylus... now thats terrible.
    Global Posts
    112 Global Posts
    Palm probably give that crappy stylus on purpose, to make you realize how good the one handed opeartion is.
    I just got mine. The stylus isn't that bad. Sure it's cheap plastic, but it doesn't bend under normal use. Some people must be very heavy handed with their styli.

Edit: Ok so it bends a little while dragging and it stutters when dragging also which isn't good. Hope replacements are made available soon.

The review also mentioned that the micro usb was very tight fitting and that it would eventually break because of it. Mine fits perfect. Not too tight at all. Another review says the connector is proprietary. Um, micro usb is proprietary? Is this the only phone that has it?
    Last edited by hannip; 07/14/2008 at 01:08 PM.
    I think the review was fair, especially about thickness and battery.

Motorola uses microUSB now and it's just doesn't seem as popular as miniUSB to me, yet.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    I thought the critical comments about the GPS were appropriate. Is there another phone where a cell connection is required? I guess I won't entertain myself w/GPS info on a plane . . .
    the 800w has the same 1150 mAh cell ...
    For perspective, the 800w is almost exactly as thick as the HTC Mogul, a device which features a sliding keyboard and 1500 mAh battery, along with nearly the same feature set as the Treo.
    I'm glad someone mentioned this. I'm pretty peeved about this smallish battery and I really don't think Palm did all they could to get more out of this device.

It's not palm's fault I'm scared. The Moto Q I've used for many months only has an 1130mah battery and it's pretty pitiful. The 800w may make better use of its mahs but I wouldn't know until I get to use one.
    Quote Originally Posted by New2This View Post
    Palm probably give that crappy stylus on purpose, to make you realize how good the one handed opeartion is.
    lol, true! 5-way is what makes the treo so great.

I rarely used the stylus with my Treo 650 in the four years I had it. In fact, I lost the stylus about two years ago and never thought about buying a replacement - used it maybe once a month..only used in one app which didn't support the 5way which for me was the file explorer, FileZ, and figured, my phone is now .5oz lighter

I wish palm removed the stylus from it's design so it can thinner/lighter anyway - just my personal opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by pimphand View Post
    I thought the critical comments about the GPS were appropriate. Is there another phone where a cell connection is required? I guess I won't entertain myself w/GPS info on a plane . . .
    This is a hackable feature--you most likely can run it in Flightmode.

When I get my device, I'll post the hack and my results.

Edit: Actually, probably not needed.

Only "Maps" and any GPS app that downloads map data needs the phone connection (duh). Standalone apps work without data/phone.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    I must be doing something wrong, because my GPS is works with the phone radio off using Garmin XT.
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    This is a hackable feature--you most likely can run it in Flightmode.

When I get my device, I'll post the hack and my results.

Edit: Actually, probably not needed.

Only "Maps" and any GPS app that downloads map data needs the phone connection (duh). Standalone apps work without data/phone.
    Mal, I'm very interested in what you find. When I turned on location privacy I couldn't get the GPS to work for Google Maps nor Live Search.
    The stylus choice was mostly because they didn't want a metal stylus to interfere with the internal antenna (per the TreoCentral review comments). While I can accept that, I do wish it was at least a sturdy plastic.

On the other hand, the Treo is really designed with the hands in mind. I only use the stylus to check battery life.
    Nothing wrong with the review since the thickness and battery life isn't great for a unit that runs with only 333Mhz processor. The recess screen isn't that fantastic either for me since if you want to use your fingers to select some of the options near the sides, it may cause some hindrance. Some may like it but not me. Probably without a recess screen the 800w can lose some of its fats too. Black colour probably will look better on this unit.
    Dark Lord of the Sith...
    Fear is My Ally...

http://www.ppcsg.com
    http://www.spug.net
    Why is everyone complaining about the thickness of the device so much? Is it just me, but in my opinion I really don't understand the fascination that a device should be as paper thin as possible? I personally wouldn't like a super thin device because I just don't think it would be comfortable in the hand as a device that would be slightly thicker and easier to hold with the palm, thumb and fingers of a person's hand. If a device were to be too thin, it would become too uncomfortable to hold imo. I'm not saying the 800w couldn't be a bit thinner, but I sorta like the thickness of the device right now! Besides at this point I would like have a better battery life than a thinner device...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by hannip View Post
    The review also mentioned that the micro usb was very tight fitting and that it would eventually break because of it. Mine fits perfect. Not too tight at all. Another review says the connector is proprietary. Um, micro usb is proprietary? Is this the only phone that has it?
    Yes, various usb heads and jacks, even though otherwise physically to spec but wired different or using pinouts in a non standard way are "proprietary" and not uncommon.

one of the most common you would find would be proprietary mini Bs that use mini a on the go wiring on a mini b head. or various resisters within the usb mini b head.

for devices that would pull more than 500 ma (usb standard that your hub or pc expects) for charging there might be non standard pin shorts or resistors packed in the head of the charger to signal the unit that one amp is available, while with a standard cable the unit knows only 500 ma is available.

mini b standard is 4 lead, but you can actually pull up to six separate leads off non standard.

Quote Originally Posted by wrecks View Post
    I must be doing something wrong, because my GPS is works with the phone radio off using Garmin XT.
    are you getting elevation?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast