1.    #1  
    It's three quarters junk -- Who made it? Where's documentation on it? I touched on it in my review as much as I could, er, *stand*.

I've over-stating it, the Maps app is convenient here and there, but it's just so much crappier than LiveSearch or Google Maps, I don't understand why Palm put development effort into it. I have to assume that it actually wasn't Palm at all but Sprint...
    I agree that it is a little weak- but it does load quickly (versus live) and the search feature is okay when you need to find something stupid like an atm. Also- people who use sprint navigation (not me) will probably like the integration.

Hopefully very little time was invested in it.
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    Quote Originally Posted by Dieter Bohn View Post
    It's three quarters junk -- Who made it? Where's documentation on it? I touched on it in my review as much as I could, er, *stand*.

I've over-stating it, the Maps app is convenient here and there, but it's just so much crappier than LiveSearch or Google Maps, I don't understand why Palm put development effort into it. I have to assume that it actually wasn't Palm at all but Sprint...

How dare you! Don't you know that's the reason why it was delayed for a year.......

Maps is dumb. If you don't want to pay for Nav, Live Search is the way to go IMO.
    Treo Lineage: 600 -> 650p -> 700p -> 755p -> 700wx
    Currently Using: 700wx | 800w | Moto Q9c | Mogul

Exchange 2003 ActiveSync WM5.0: 2068 Users
    Exchange 2007 ActiveSync WM6.0: 50 Users
    Exchange 2007 ActiveSync WM6.1: 2 Users
    I actually prefer Google Maps over live and the Map program that came with it. I've had no problem with Gmaps at all, GPS work great with it, and it is very quick, it has found my location without fail.. Not only that, when I do a search, Gmaps pulled up more info then Live did. The regular Maps program is ok , tele nav is pretty cool, not to bad at all. But I do prefer Gmaps still.
    Remember, this is my opinion ! We all have a right to our own.....

Treo's 650-800..NOW,
    Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    I was actually doing a Gmap comparison my on Treo 800w versus a friend that has a new iPhone 3g.

The 800w (using the aGPS and Gmaps) was able to lock onto my location (indoors in an office environment). The iPhone was only able to triangulate towers.

It was a phone exercise.

By the time we did the DSL Reports speed test he was almost in tears.

I can't wait for Opera 9.5
    Quote Originally Posted by Dieter Bohn View Post

Actually, I'd say it's 4/5 junk! The only thing good is how quick it loads and grabs a fix. Other than that it seems useless.

Have you tried using it to get directions from yout location to an address? I did today with an address about 15 miles away. It showed the map screen with the entire route highlighted, but would'nt let me zoom in to an portion of the route. Whatever? What use is a route if all you see is a zoomed out version? I mean, I already knew the place I was going required me to head East, I needed the detailed directions from once I got off the Freeway.

And trying to find POIs in my area was useless. It kept giving me some error about not available....
    Anyone else getting errors when trying to "map a street address" or "map your current location" using the maps application. When I try to "map your current location" it says "unable to get map" after it says "receiving 100%" and when I try to "map a street address" (I have to put my street address in exactly, including the S for south, even though it technically doesn't exist in my street address anymore - if I leave this out, it won't even map it), and then use "i" or "o" to zoom, it crashes.

In general, the application seems to work only sporadically for me. And half the time it just gives errors. I've installed a bunch of apps on my device (including numerous ones that interface with GPS), and am just wondering if I screwed something up that is making it not work that great, or if it really just isn't that great of an application....
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    I agree...this Maps app is just stupid. The only thing I like is the integration with the Today plugin, and the Find.. option in places. What are the chances of getting these things to work with Google Maps or Live instead of Maps?? Now THEN we'd have something.
    Quote Originally Posted by mbressman View Post
    Anyone else getting errors when trying to "map a street address" or "map your current location" using the maps application. When I try to "map your current location" it says "unable to get map" after it says "receiving 100%" and when I try to "map a street address" (I have to put my street address in exactly, including the S for south, even though it technically doesn't exist in my street address anymore - if I leave this out, it won't even map it), and then use "i" or "o" to zoom, it crashes.

In general, the application seems to work only sporadically for me. And half the time it just gives errors. I've installed a bunch of apps on my device (including numerous ones that interface with GPS), and am just wondering if I screwed something up that is making it not work that great, or if it really just isn't that great of an application....

no- It runs smoothly for me.

However, I have concluded the today plugin in the only thing this has going for it.
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    Quote Originally Posted by robber View Post
    no- It runs smoothly for me.

However, I have concluded the today plugin in the only thing this has going for it.
    Today its running smoothly for me too...I think the GPS just doesn't like my home location, but is fine with my office location...go figure...
  11. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by robber View Post
    yep