1.    #1  
    Quote Originally Posted by rulk View Post
    Ok guys... Decided to post a link for downloading files....

I will be posting all files that are mentioned here on my site...

The direct link to the download area where the Treo 700wx files will be at is...

http://www.mobileroms.com/modules/wf...wcat.php?cid=2

As I have time I will be adding other stuff from here and providing the links as well...

Had some major issues due to some storms that passed through here last week so been behind getting this stuff on the ball...

The web site will be getting modified as I get used to it but the downloads are available to anyone who is not sure whats available. You do not need to be registered to download the files. I haven't been on here in a couple days so not sure what the latest ROM is.. the latest I have is the "testing 4 ROM".

Rodney
  2.    #2  
    One issue I noticed is that downloading files does not work. It has an extra / in the URL. See example below:

http:///mobileroms.com/files/treo_700wx/roms/SPNT700wxSDUpdater115.zip

Removing it fixes the download.

A couple of concerns and ideas:

1. You are hosting propriatary files. What is your plan for when you get nasty letters in the mail asking you to remove the files? (There are two main possible sources, Palm themselves and Microsoft.)
    2. Do we *REALLY* need another forum?
      Seriously, maybe consider pointing the forums back here, or have a simple forum for site type issues and point the actual ROM file/discussion/documentation/etc back here.
    3. Is it possible to add alternate/mirror download links? So if someone throws it up on RapidShare, 4Shared, etc, people can choose to download from there instead of your site?
    As to the files...
    The system is setup to be able to use the files locally or use web links.
    I used web links back to its self simply because I haven't "fiddled" with it yet. The files are on there just for simplicity sake at this point in time.

There is the ability to have Mirrors or any other such entities with it. You can provide screen shots, additional information and alot more stuff...

The download module is pretty robust and feature packed.

As to the forums.
    The site is being used right now for just us treo 700w/wx peeps but as I develop the site I expect it to be useful for a variety of phones. The intention of the site is solely for customization of ROMs.

I will be modifying and adding to the Forums as I can... The Forum module is pretty Robust as well... I am still looking into other things to be able to post the information as a FAQ and as a Wiki... As I mentioned the Forums are intended more for future growth then a duplication of efforts here.

The intent is NOT to do anything other then allow a quick, easy to use location to learn about building your own ROMS. The information is the same amoung many of the different phones. Just how you accomplish the feat is what is different.

I will look at the download links... I will be adding some things to the forums for commenting there instead of tying up space here.

Oh and as to Rapid Share and the like... That is a good location to put them and I can also point it there as well... I was actually going to look at another location to put the files simply because if the site becomes popular for getting the files I don't want to take the hit on the bandwidth.. It is not an issue at the moment but it could be....
    Last edited by rulk; 07/14/2008 at 01:04 PM.
  4.    #4  
    Cool.

What about upload capability, I'm not seeing any (but maybe I'm blind).
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    Cool.

What about upload capability, I'm not seeing any (but maybe I'm blind).
    That is currently turned off...
    I am manually entering all files at this time.

For security purposes the php uploading is turned off...
    I could actually setup an FTP area for you to upload files to though.. OR if we locate the files on a Rapid Share or simular service the links could be entered into the download base as well.

I have like 300gb of storage on that system and am using less then a half gig... I think I also have 300gb of bandwidth per month which I am not using any of yet so for "legal" files I have NO problem putting them online at this time. I can make other files "legal" by having them point directly to the file and then they can download it from that site..

Mirrors can also be added as well... It is relatively easy to add downloads...

File links are now fixed... I was adding the file links and was just copy/pasting the links and didn't realize the extra / was in there... Firefox "helped" me there so when I clicked on the link I was still able to download it.. Firefox apparently filtered out the extra / so I didn't notice it.... But you will see that its fixed now and all files are available that I have. I believe that is also the up to date kitchen I have online as well..

You will note I changed the Forums a little as well...
    If I am given mirror links I can add those for each file. I am not sure how many mirrors there can be but I am sure more then two...

I guess then I should also wonder the legality of the files I have posted. What files can be actually hosted on the site and which ones not.. I am guessing the original Sprint Updater probably can not be hosted there so I will have to change that shortly.

Not sure in that case that even the custom roms technically could be hosted.

Tried to allow registered users to submit mirrors and file links to the download area. Not sure if it works yet or not... To get files on there it would be as simple as using FTP to get the file up there then adding a file submission. I have to approve any submissions of files or mirrors so I can make sure people don't use it to put other stuff up there...
    Last edited by rulk; 07/14/2008 at 02:05 PM.
  6.    #6  
    I guess then I should also wonder the legality of the files I have posted. What files can be actually hosted on the site and which ones not..
    For all intents and purposes as long as you aren't actually hosting the files, you should be fine. Linking files shouldn't be a problem.

If you host files that were uploaded by someone else (you just provided the service), then it should fall under the DMCA Safe Harbor regulations. You have to remove it if requested, but you can't be held liable.

HTH
  7. ceb
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    For all intents and purposes as long as you aren't actually hosting the files, you should be fine. Linking files shouldn't be a problem.

If you host files that were uploaded by someone else (you just provided the service), then it should fall under the DMCA Safe Harbor regulations. You have to remove it if requested, but you can't be held liable.

HTH
    ...you get a nasty message if you try to download...
    Cheers

Charles
    in the wm6 rom section, the rom that says it is the verizon wm6 rom for the wx? I guess i have been out of the loop for a while, but that is the rom i want!

does it have threaded sms installed by default?
    Treo 750, at&t wireless.
    Quote Originally Posted by ceb View Post
    ...you get a nasty message if you try to download...
    Opps, I may have changed a setting by accident... It should be working now...

This week I have a little time so I will be configuring a question and answer section and a Wiki area as well to hopefully help make things more readily available. Hopefully we can get Ebag to chime in on the Q & A so he can do it "Just once" or so...

Rodney
  10.    #10  
    Hopefully we can get Ebag to chime in on the Q & A so he can do it "Just once" or so...
    Just once.

HAH! Wishful thinking.
    Testing 5 should be up there now...

I will be going through the messages and trying to first fill out the FAQ content information related to what I got from here. Will try posting when I am done with that.. Hopefully it can help people get the information they need without ebag having to keep answering the same questions over and over again... We shall see...

and if you note I put just once in quotes... then said... or so... LOL

Rodney
    Working on pulling out information from here and making the FAQ system work...
    I currently am ALMOST through the first page now... Only another 55 or so to go... LOL

Will post when I have gone through all the pages and made the FAQ somewhat complete. Hopefully then people can look there for answers they are looking for.

I also changed the link for the sprint updater to the official palm page...