Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 48
  1. #21  
    I agree with pretty much everything Dieter said except two things. He doesn't mention anywhere in the review the lack of a soft reset hole. They could have stuck it on the bottom just like the HTC Touch. Come on PALM! The second point is I disagree with the reception capability. My Treo 800 gets about 2 to 3 bars in my basement where the Touch, 700wx and Mogul would get 0 bars. I have found that the 800 gets clearly better reception than any other WM device I have used. I am sure that reception will be based on where you are located in relation to Sprint towers but my experience has been excellent with reception.
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dieter Bohn View Post
    In case anybody doubts me on the speed thing, jump to the 1:58 mark of this video by pocketnow...

    http://www.pocketnow.com/index.php?a...t=news&id=5565
    that's impressive....

    those are the things you can't put in a 30 second commercial but makes us coming back to WM Treos

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  3. erenken's Avatar
    Posts
    19 Posts
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    #23  
    So since the 800w is officaly out now can we start on the 850 rumors? I crack myself up.

    Eric
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    But it begs the question: why use 624mhz if you don't have to?

    HTC has to use such a processor (or the 500mhz range) because they have to run their GUI on top of the OS. Obviously RIM has to in order to make up for their otherwise sluggish OS, no?

    Fact is, faster processors use more battery life which is already cramped on every device (even the iPhone). It's nice to see a company step back from that and say "hey, instead of using this bloated OS and jamming a wicked fast processor that kills the batter, why not chop down the OS so we can use a more efficient processor?"

    I wish Adobe and MS and every other company would heed that info.

    ps Nice review Dieter! (still waiting for UPS...ugh)

    It begs a comparison of the blackberry bold with the 800w, no?

    However sluggish the blackberry os might be, as the windows os is, how does it behave alongside the 624 mhz processor? Screamin fast as I've said before. Battery life is quite good, I've heard as well.


    And oh yes. Fine review, dieter.
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by logmein View Post
    It begs a comparison of the blackberry bold with the 800w, no?
    Absolutely.

    I've been saying for months now that the 800w's real competitor is not the iPhone but the BB Bold.

    We'll have a head to head soon enough here between WME and Crackberry (actually, we'd do a comparison now but someone at RIM thought it'd be funny to disable Crackberry's Bold--gotta love that single central control..ugh)

    I bet we can launch more core apps and services (calendar, find contact, dial pad, wifi, find location, turn BT on/off and of course email) faster on the 800w than the Bold--in fact, we'll maybe make that the central comparison.

    Sound fair?

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by logmein View Post
    However sluggish the blackberry os might be, as the windows os is, how does it behave alongside the 624 mhz processor? Screamin fast as I've said before. Battery life is quite good, I've heard as well.
    I heard the battery life of Bold is horrible and the heat problem of the device but RIMM denined.

    Really want to see the comparison between Treo 800w and Bold.
  7. remydakid's Avatar
    Posts
    13 Posts
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    #27  
    nice review
    I'm def getting this =)
    and i hope i can get the htc home theme workin' on it.
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Absolutely.

    I've been saying for months now that the 800w's real competitor is not the iPhone but the BB Bold.

    We'll have a head to head soon enough here between WME and Crackberry (actually, we'd do a comparison now but someone at RIM thought it'd be funny to disable Crackberry's Bold--gotta love that single central control..ugh)

    I bet we can launch more core apps and services (calendar, find contact, dial pad, wifi, find location, turn BT on/off and of course email) faster on the 800w than the Bold--in fact, we'll maybe make that the central comparison.

    Sound fair?


    Regarding the blackberry bold, switching between apps and opening video or internet browsing all look pretty darn snappy to me on this vid. More like lightning fast Much more so than what Ive seen for myself with the 800w when i played with it at the store. There is no comparison with the screens either.
    Last edited by logmein; 07/14/2008 at 12:08 PM.
  9. #29  
    Dieter - excellent review, it's so good I thought of switching from POS Centro.
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by robber View Post
    This is exactly why many of us are treo fans. He hit the two big points-- overall speed and more importantly how quickly things can be accessed.

    If you are interested in speed and efficiency you simply cannot go back to an HTC device after using a treo and this video illustrates exactly why. I am willing to bet the 700wx would smoke them on page scrolling as well.

    This probably deserves to be stickied in its own thread so the spec freaks can finally be silenced.
    bahh whatever. fact is if you want to scroll down faster, use the scroll bar on the htc's it operates faster by page down. Also interesting that he didnt compare the scroll times with the diamond which has optimized drivers. That test was loaded.

    I did go look at an 800w at lunch today. I thought it looked ok. Too bad it was placed next to the blackberry curve, which looked better than the 800w in almost everyway. thinner, smaller (although slightly wider), a bright screen.

    The keyboard on the 800w was awesome, but the stylus was pathetic, the screen was dim, and the geniuses at sprint didnt have evdo hooked up, so gps and internet werent working. The screen is too small. I wish Palm would had gone with a widescreen 320x240 instead and made a bigger screen
  11. #31  
    The guy in the pocketnow video is funny. He demonstrated touch diamond in the video and said "it is not quick". The fact is it is very snappy in his video.
    Treo 750 unbranded T-mobile, HTC WIZARD 8125 T-MOBILE (broken), Treo 650 T-mobile 1.43/1.14 OS 5.4.8 Garnet (sold).
    Dell X50v, X30 624Mhz and HP ipaq h2210 h1945.

    Treo 750 hacks thread.
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by cellneuron View Post
    The guy in the pocketnow video is funny. He demonstrated touch diamond in the video and said "it is not quick". The fact is it is very snappy in his video.
    Not to launch an app or turn on a basic service...

    The main features of the 800w and the driving point is "one touch".

    One touch to turn on/use
    • GPS
    • manage Wifi
    • get to your inbox
    • look up contacts
    • turn BT on/off
    • turn ringer on/off
    • launch task manager (hold "Ok" down)

    The Diamond's UI looks all flashy but it's actually inefficient since you have go through numerous steps just to do the basics. Heck, it doesn't even have basic buttons on the sides to launch anything. You have to go through the UI, numerous levels to get to something.

    All useless smoke and mirrors, just like the iPhone. This is the trade off between form and function. And Dieter will even tell you TouchFlow 3D is a bit slow still, even with the update.

    Look, you're running another UI on top of the OS's UI. What do you think that will do for speed and efficiency? Make it faster? It's a kludge. A fancy, "pretty" kludge, but nonetheless...

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  13. waldo15's Avatar
    Posts
    522 Posts
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    #33  
    Pretty good review I must say. Definitely covered all the bases and questions I wanted answered.

    A shame the Maps feature is sub-par. Peculiar choice Palm did here, seeing how Google Maps is so well integrated with Palm's own Centro I wonder what drove them to not do that here (maybe some Microsoft rules? who knows). I however believe members of the XDA forums will get around and do Palm's work in piecing together Live search or Google Maps with the Today screen instead of that Maps function.

    Let's be honest, the phone brings nothing new tech-wise to the mix, WiFi has been in many other devices for what seems to be an eternity now. It is a bit dissapointing that Palm re-enters the smartphone scene with a decent device so late that well, not many folks really care that much. But Palm definitely is keeping true to that old saying "it is better late than never".

    The screen (at this point in time) instead of being a plus is actually hindering app compatibility, or at least that's the case from what I gather in Treocentral's own forums. This issue may be solved in the future but still is a bit of a sore in the otherwise impresive list of acomplishments this phone gives to Palm. Though I have to side with the developers on this one: the ecosystem out there is ripe for apps that support 320x240 screens. Things will only improve for 320x320 in the coming months I hope, with the rumors of the BlackJack III coming to AT&T and perhaps the 850?

    Other than the previous issues, the phone and its usability definitely make the point on where Palm's strengths are, I won't argue that. Heck, watching that posted video of how fast the 800w is should be the prime marketing source for Palm! Me being a Tilt user can relate to that slugginess of the Kaiser.

    Unfortunately, such a powerful device is wrapped around a very ancient ID circa early 2000; that steals some thunder from it even though it is targeted towards the enterprise. Now, give me the looks of the 850 with this kind of performance and Palm may very well have a total killer in their hands.
    Ode to the Treo Pro: you had to look so good, you had to be HTC in disguise...
  14. #34  
    @waldo15

    It's not that it brings anything "new" in terms of technology (honestly, what else is there anyways?), but rather the superb integration of hardware and software.

    Sure WM could always do Wifi, but it was a pain to turn on and connect--Palm's solution is much easier.

    Also, the program incompatibility "issue": yeah, over stated. The overwhelming majority of my apps work so far.

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    @waldo15

    It's not that it brings anything "new" in terms of technology (honestly, what else is there anyways?), but rather the superb integration of hardware and software.

    Sure WM could always do Wifi, but it was a pain to turn on and connect--Palm's solution is much easier.

    Also, the program incompatibility "issue": yeah, over stated. The overwhelming majority of my apps work so far.
    It's a Tilit in a Treo body with Palm's customizations. It's paradise. A larger rect. screen is long overdue, but other than that, it's nearly perfect.
  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny View Post
    It's a Tilit in a Treo body with Palm's customizations. It's paradise. A larger rect. screen is long overdue, but other than that, it's nearly perfect.
    I agree. So far I'm very happy with it.

    Like many, I was still surprised at how much smaller it is. But the screen and speed are just great.

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  17. #37  
    I've accepted the fact that I won't be picking up the next Treo on day 1 since it will likely run WM7 and will break a greater pctage of apps. So the 800w is it for me possibly til 2010. And I love it.
  18. #38  
    To be (a little) fair to RIM - the only reason I'm coming over from the Curve is the extra cost of Blackberry service - the Bold has 50% more pixels and I think it still relies on the main processor to do video. I'd trust the Bold to be more capable of handling things like h.264 video files.
  19. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny View Post
    I've accepted the fact that I won't be picking up the next Treo on day 1 since it will likely run WM7 and will break a greater pctage of apps. So the 800w is it for me possibly til 2010. And I love it.
    haha...yeah it will be interesting.

    The switch from WM2003 to WM5 was just plain brutal

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  20. cheifsfan's Avatar
    Posts
    33 Posts
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    I agree. So far I'm very happy with it.

    Like many, I was still surprised at how much smaller it is. But the screen and speed are just great.
    How small is this compared to the centro from a feel standpoint? My wife has the centro and I think it is the PERFECT size. Where does this fit?

    Thanks,
    Pat
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions