Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1.    #1  
    Ok... so i was playing with a 800w that wasnt activated yet and for the life of me couldnt get the GPS to do anything. I always heard the GPS would work even if not on the network so i couldnt understand why.

    Question is:

    If there was a program like garmin XT on it would it work if there was NO network coverage (even with the phone part turned off would it work)??

    Anyone who has it and has tried it?
  2. NRG
    NRG is offline
    NRG's Avatar
    Posts
    3,657 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by gunjin123 View Post
    Ok... so i was playing with a 800w that wasnt activated yet and for the life of me couldnt get the GPS to do anything. I always heard the GPS would work even if not on the network so i couldnt understand why.

    Question is:

    If there was a program like garmin XT on it would it work if there was NO network coverage (even with the phone part turned off would it work)??

    Anyone who has it and has tried it?
    It works when the phone is off for me.
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by gunjin123 View Post
    Ok... so i was playing with a 800w that wasnt activated yet and for the life of me couldnt get the GPS to do anything. I always heard the GPS would work even if not on the network so i couldnt understand why.

    Question is:

    If there was a program like garmin XT on it would it work if there was NO network coverage (even with the phone part turned off would it work)??

    Anyone who has it and has tried it?
    You didnt give enough information. Were you outside? What app were you playing with? Was WiFi on (if using google maps/live search)
  4.    #4  
    inside... then i walked outside for about 5 minutes and still didnt work. I had the phone turned off. (no serivce on it anyway). wasnt connected to wifi. My whole goal with playing with it was to see if the GPS work without any cell seervice or internet connection so i turned it off. It was fresh out of the box so i was only try the maps program that comes with it.
  5. NRG
    NRG is offline
    NRG's Avatar
    Posts
    3,657 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by gunjin123 View Post
    so i was only try(ing) the maps program that comes with it.
    The maps program requires a data connection to download the info you are looking for. Garmin XT works fine with out data though.
  6. #6  
    I'm running into the same issue. I picked up the 800W on the way to work today and have had no luck getting past the "Getting GPS Location" section. I have tried it outside, in my car, inside. No luck. I have checked the settings and the GPS privacy is set to broadcast location info.

    Any ideas? Service is set up, I have the data connection up and running, etc.
  7. NRG
    NRG is offline
    NRG's Avatar
    Posts
    3,657 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by asatyss View Post
    I'm running into the same issue. I picked up the 800W on the way to work today and have had no luck getting past the "Getting GPS Location" section. I have tried it outside, in my car, inside. No luck. I have checked the settings and the GPS privacy is set to broadcast location info.

    Any ideas? Service is set up, I have the data connection up and running, etc.
    Does this happen when you search from the Today screen?
  8. #8  
    yes, both from the today screen and from the maps application.
  9. #9  
    not sure what i did, but it is now working...
  10. NRG
    NRG is offline
    NRG's Avatar
    Posts
    3,657 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by asatyss View Post
    not sure what i did, but it is now working...
    Maybe it needed to be registered first. :shrug:
  11. #11  
    Maybe give it some time to acquire satellites. I use a standalone GPS receiver. Upon initial startup, it takes awhile. For me a lifetime, but probably about 30 seconds or so, to bootup and acquire satellites. My standalone has 20 channels, which means, it can acquire up to 20 satellites to get an accurate location via satellites. Unfortunately, I think most GPS devices require only 10 satellites for location. I haven't seen any specs on the 800w's GPS.
  12. #12  
    Over the past month I have noticed that the GPS can be a little picky at times. When it acts up I have found that a simple reboot fixed the problem. There may be a simpler way but I haven't bothered trying to find out.
    Treo Lineage: 600 -> 650p -> 700p -> 755p -> 700wx
    Currently Using: 700wx | 800w | Moto Q9c | Mogul


    Exchange 2003 ActiveSync WM5.0: 2068 Users
    Exchange 2007 ActiveSync WM6.0: 50 Users
    Exchange 2007 ActiveSync WM6.1: 2 Users
  13. pimphand's Avatar
    Posts
    53 Posts
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    #13  
    The Brighthand review touches on this as well - you evidently need a cellular connection to get the GPS to work on the 800w.

    http://www.brighthand.com/default.asp?newsID=14178#GPS
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by pimphand View Post
    The Brighthand review touches on this as well - you evidently need a cellular connection to get the GPS to work on the 800w.

    http://www.brighthand.com/default.asp?newsID=14178#GPS
    There's a reg tweak that will allow you to use GPS without the phone radio on. I know there's a few people that use GPS without the phone on.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by crazie.eddie View Post
    There's a reg tweak that will allow you to use GPS without the phone radio on. I know there's a few people that use GPS without the phone on.
    It appears that only GPS apps that download data need the phone on...I don't think Brighthand even tried it with Garmin or TomTom, so in that sense that point of theirs is a bit inaccurate.

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  16. pimphand's Avatar
    Posts
    53 Posts
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    It appears that only GPS apps that download data need the phone on...I don't think Brighthand even tried it with Garmin or TomTom, so in that sense that point of theirs is a bit inaccurate.
    Ah. Now I get it. That makes more sense to me now.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    It appears that only GPS apps that download data need the phone on...I don't think Brighthand even tried it with Garmin or TomTom, so in that sense that point of theirs is a bit inaccurate.
    +1

    Update: I think you need to have your phone radio on first to turn on the gps. then you can turn the phone off if you want and the gps will still be active.
    Last edited by wrecks; 07/14/2008 at 05:51 PM.

Posting Permissions