Page 13 of 31 FirstFirst ... 38910111213141516171823 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by robber View Post
    Keep in mind there was no changing this stuff with POS.

My reccomendation is to downwload tweaks2k (trial runs 3 times) and run this tweak from there. Then you dont have to go into your registry- while performing the change is not hard, this particular hack is a little bit more difficult than a simplt value change.

You may even decide to keep tweaks2k- it is an excellent utility and there are a lot of other tweaks that will get your treo screaming...
    I'll check that program out. I MAY have it, cause I got 602 kbit/sec this time around on DLS reports. But I am sure some of it is dependent on the bars you get.

I had like half to zero bars, then it would go to 1x (I get crappy reception in the house) and if it wasn't for SERO, i'd probably dump Sprint cause the rest of my family went to Verizon for that reason alone. I did seem to have better reception on the 700p.

Anyway I just did the test, and it was so slow it wouldn't even give me results. I just ran the 100k test and got 60 kbits/sec

I wish I had enough bars to TEST the dang thing. I think i'll have to try wi-fi now... Sucks too.

The two main reasons I got the phone, and they both blow on the speeds. Nice!
    Last edited by quickstang; 07/30/2008 at 08:54 AM.
    Tried that program tweaks2k and it would not launch on the device. Installs, shows the icon, but does nothing, so not sure what the deal is.
    Quote Originally Posted by quickstang View Post
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    (2) Increase "Maximum number of concurrent connections" in PIE

I set both to 25.
    Quote:

One of the most common and effective tweaks for web browsers on the desktop is also possible for IE on WM5. Stored in the registry are two keys which tell Internet Explorer how many connections it should make to a server when downloading a web page. They define the "Maximum number of concurrent connections" and they're just itching for a tune-up.

By [Creating] the following [DWord] key:

HKCU/Software/Microsoft/Internet Explorer/Main/MaxRequestThreads = 5

to a value higher than the default (5) will enable greater bandwidth saturation during page download and a noticable improvement in page load time. I took a guess and raised the MaxThreads to 10 and have had no problems (thus far).

[Update] Also, you will want to add the dword value:

HKCU/Software/Microsoft/Internet Explorer/Main/MaxConnectionsPerServer
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can anyone show me a screen shot of this please? I have no idea what it should look like, and I dont know if I am doing this correctly.

I'm using TaskMgr and the Registry section of it to add the above but I dont feel it's right.

I dont think I have the number in there where it should be. At first I put the =5 in the string of the key, but then I thought it was supposed to go into the key value part after you create the key.

I'm confused, and this is why I liked my Palm OS. lol
    Actually, I'm confused on this as well. Using Resco, I created two DWord values in HKCU/Software/Microsoft/InternetExplorer/Main. That's not right. Here's what I redid step by step:
    ~~~~
    Use Resco to nav to the "Main" folder. Menu-->new-->key. Enter "HKCU/Software/Microsoft/Internet Explorer/Main/MaxRequestThreads" (no quotes). That "folder" opens with a default dword value created under it. Open default dword value and change value to 20 (leave name as "default")

Hit Menu-->new-->Dword Value. Enter in "MaxConnectionsPerServer" (no quotes and 20, then done.

So what I've done is create a new key/folder, adjust the default value in the new key/folder then add a new dword value in that folder.

Is that correct? Or is the "MaxConnectionsPerServer" dword suppossed to be placed in the ".../Main" folder?
    --Steve

Visor-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700P-->Treo 800W-->Palm Pre-->HP Touchpad

My DVD Collection
    My Media Room
    GovTwit Directory
    Twitter: @dslunceford
    Tried that program tweaks2k and it would not launch on the device. Installs, shows the icon, but does nothing, so not sure what the deal is.
    Ehhhh. Sorry.

I use sktools, this does it as well it just has a more complex interface versus tweaks2k which I have not used on the 800w--obviously-. Sktools will work.
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    Quote Originally Posted by robber View Post
    Ehhhh. Sorry.

I use sktools, this does it as well it just has a more complex interface versus tweaks2k which I have not used on the 800w--obviously-. Sktools will work.
    Awesome? This program is pretty loaded, and makes things simple
    Quote Originally Posted by dslunceford View Post
    Actually, I'm confused on this as well. Using Resco, I created two DWord values in HKCU/Software/Microsoft/InternetExplorer/Main. That's not right. Here's what I redid step by step:
    ~~~~
    Use Resco to nav to the "Main" folder. Menu-->new-->key. Enter "HKCU/Software/Microsoft/Internet Explorer/Main/MaxRequestThreads" (no quotes). That "folder" opens with a default dword value created under it. Open default dword value and change value to 20 (leave name as "default")

Hit Menu-->new-->Dword Value. Enter in "MaxConnectionsPerServer" (no quotes and 20, then done.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    This simple trick will help people save battery life if they make a lot of long calls during the day...

http://www.wmexperts.com/articles/ho..._whenever.html

basically it's a screen toggle to easily turn the LCD off whenever you want.

*Note: PhoneAlarm has this built in and will do it automatically if you want a true hands free version. Downside is I don't know how to turn on the screen during a call without hanging up

Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    OK, so based on this, I had it correct the first time

...it looks like you added DWord values for both in the ".../Main" folder.

Using the word "key" in the instructions threw me off, as there's create-->new-->key in Resco as well as create-->new-->DWord Value

Off to edit, thanks!

BTW, I found the original thread here: http://www.htcwizardweb.net/node/808 where it references "keys" What exactly is the difference between a "key" and a "DWordValue"?
    Last edited by dslunceford; 07/30/2008 at 02:12 PM.
    --Steve

Visor-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700P-->Treo 800W-->Palm Pre-->HP Touchpad

My DVD Collection
    My Media Room
    GovTwit Directory
    Twitter: @dslunceford
    Any word on a regedit to boost A2DP Bluetooth volume. i would rather use WMP then pocketunes. mainly for xm scripts, movies ect, but still volume in low in wmp.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonger View Post
    Another thing I miss from the Palm OS is the behavior of the "option +" buttons.

On the Palm, you could tap the option button and then the mail button and launch the "Option + Mail" application. Great for one hand operation.

On the 800w, you have to hold the option button and hit the mail button at the same time to launch the "Option + Mail" application. Thus requiring two hands.

Anybody know if there is a tweak to mimic the palm os operation?
    This would be a GREAT tweak!
    Charliec
    I used SKTools, and it was really easy to change it, BUT you can only change it to 8.

MaxConnections I believe is the only option. I dont know what is not enough, and what is too much, but I wondered why nothing higher than 8 worked, then I noticed it had values you had to follow.

Anyone think I should set it back to normal and then just edit it from a registry editor so I can go higher than 8?
  12.    #252  
    In the registry you have "sound categories" and "sounds" which are assigned to sound categories.

For example I am using "RingTone0" located at HKCU\ControlPanel\Sounds\RingTone0 which is the main ringer tone and assigned to the sound category "Ring" which is located at HKCU\ControlPanel\SoundCategories\Ring.
    InitVol changes with the volume control button.

We also have "Attenuation Classes" located at HKCU\ControlPanel\SoundCategories\Attenuation with Dword names & values:
    Name "0" with Value=0
    Name "1" with Value=1
    Name "2" with Value=3

The key name is the class index, and the associated value is the amount of gain to allow during a call. The value ranges from 0 to 5, with 0 meaning totally muted and 5 meaning no attenuation.

Each sound catagory has an AttenuationCategory setting.
    Attenuation settings will stick after a soft reset
    Volume setting is a combination of InitVol and Attenuation.
    Ringpreview is a separate category that is for playing ringtones in the notification management section of the phone, the InitVol default setting seems to initially default at 5 and seems louder than Ring0 at the same setting, that is due to the attenuation setting I believe.

One way to get higher Ring Volume is this:
    Step 1: In HKCU\ControlPanel\SoundCategories\Attenuation
    add a key name of "4" and set value to 1.
    Step 2: In HKCU\ControlPanel\SoundCategories\Ring
    Change key "AttenuationCategory" from 2 to the new value of 4.
    Step 3: Soft reset the phone
    Step 4: Turn ring volume DOWN to 50% setting using the side volume button, otherwise the ring will be VERY loud.

I have attached a matrix of the Default settings on the 800W. In the registry there is a VoiceCommand setting that references Attenuation Category 3, but that key does not exist in the Attenuation section.
    Also on the matrix is the standard Attenuation Classes used by WM6.
    Notice the Attenuation Class 4 is not attenuated but is affected by system volume.

Caution: You can damage your speaker and/or phone by changing these settings, I don't believe that changing the Attenuation Category to 4 is the proper way to increase Ringtone volume, but that is what I changed for now.
    I am posting this for those experts on this forum hoping they can use the info to find a fix for the ringer volume issue. Before you make these changes, you might wait for the experts to comment.
    EDIT: I am trying different settings, this is too loud.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by jimh2000; 08/01/2008 at 01:36 AM.
  13.    #253  
    I have not experimented with or changed the following settings, but I think this information is accurate:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ControlPanel\Volume\Volume
    Controls the earpiece volume. Its values go from 0-4293967295, in hexadecimal the upper limit is an 8 integer value: FFFFFFFF.
    Default is 2576980377(99999999) Hex(Dec)

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ControlPanel\Phone\Vol
    Controls volume during a call. Its values go from 0-65535, in hexadecimal the upper limit is an 4 integer value: FFFF.
    Default is 52428(CCCC) Hex(Dec)
    Last edited by jimh2000; 07/31/2008 at 01:58 AM.
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonger View Post
    Another thing I miss from the Palm OS is the behavior of the "option +" buttons.

On the Palm, you could tap the option button and then the mail button and launch the "Option + Mail" application. Great for one hand operation.

On the 800w, you have to hold the option button and hit the mail button at the same time to launch the "Option + Mail" application. Thus requiring two hands.

Anybody know if there is a tweak to mimic the palm os operation?
    im DYING for this!

also, anyone know a tweak to boost the sensitivity of the touchscreen any?

coming from a touch, the sensitivity of the screen is MUCH improved...but i think still leaving SOME to be desired (tested out an instinct at the store and it was SSOOOOOOOOO sensitive!! ).

i remember there were two registry keys on the vogue that would do it. one was related to touchflo, so probably not valid here, but the other was hklm/drivers/touchpanel. i looked but that is not present on the 800w...any ideas??

thanks, a few of the things i have found here have been GREAT!
    I used SKTools, and it was really easy to change it, BUT you can only change it to 8.

MaxConnections I believe is the only option. I dont know what is not enough, and what is too much, but I wondered why nothing higher than 8 worked, then I noticed it had values you had to follow.

Anyone think I should set it back to normal and then just edit it from a registry editor so I can go higher than 8?
    We discussed this earlier...

Basically you can flood sites with too many hits and strain their servers by having too many (like in my pic, just for illustration purposes)--so SKTools is limiting you on purpose for a reason. It's also not clear that going above 8 will see a dramatic increase in speed...

Is there a registry change to set battery warning level. My phone pops on to warn me at 10%, 9, 8,, etc wasting battery each time it warns.

Thanks
    Tom
    Quote Originally Posted by thgood View Post
    Is there a registry change to set battery warning level. My phone pops on to warn me at 10%, 9, 8,, etc wasting battery each time it warns.

Thanks
    Tom
    HKLM>Software>Palm>BatteryIndicator.....there you will find the warning levels....
    We discussed this earlier...

Basically you can flood sites with too many hits and strain their servers by having too many (like in my pic, just for illustration purposes)--so SKTools is limiting you on purpose for a reason. It's also not clear that going above 8 will see a dramatic increase in speed...
    I can see how there is no clear cut picture that going higher is better. I read some people doing 125, but not here. I'll play with 8.
    Quote Originally Posted by AS329 View Post
    HKLM>Software>Palm>BatteryIndicator.....there you will find the warning levels....
    You have any idea about it vibrating? Mine woke me up last night. Had it by my bed, and then it went down to like 10% and vibrated.

Then of course I thought turning the phone off would do it, but no, it did it at 9%, and I just got up and went upstairs cause I left my charger there. I thought about just tossing it somewhere were I wouldn't hear the vibrates

I dont remember seeing anything about turning the vibes off, unless I missed it.
    You have any idea about it vibrating? Mine woke me up last night. Had it by my bed, and then it went down to like 10% and vibrated.

Then of course I thought turning the phone off would do it, but no, it did it at 9%, and I just got up and went upstairs cause I left my charger there. I thought about just tossing it somewhere were I wouldn't hear the vibrates

I dont remember seeing anything about turning the vibes off, unless I missed it.
    I am not sure this will work, but there is a low battery indicator setting in sounds and notifications that you can uncheck the box for vibrate....