Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I need some advice on this one. I went to a Sprint store last night and purchased an 800w. I REALLY like this phone. Small, thin, light, solid, zippy, just all around a nice phone.

But, I have noticed that my speaker sounds blown. If I put a caller on speaker phone it sounds distorted, even if I turn the volume down. But, the ring tones sound just fine. Even MP3 ringtones of songs. I searched this forum and found where some have the same problems, while others, including Pooh, say the speaker is clear. Is this a DA converter issue somehow where the phone part is just poor quality in some? I figure if it was an actual hardware speaker issue then all sounds would be distorted, but they're not.

So, lets get some input. Have any of you whose speaker sounded terrible been able to swap them out and that fix the problem? Or, does your replacement sound the same? What should I do?

To Swap or Not To Swap?
  2. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lepricon View Post
    I need some advice on this one. I went to a Sprint store last night and purchased an 800w. I REALLY like this phone. Small, thin, light, solid, zippy, just all around a nice phone.

But, I have noticed that my speaker sounds blown. If I put a caller on speaker phone it sounds distorted, even if I turn the volume down. But, the ring tones sound just fine. Even MP3 ringtones of songs. I searched this forum and found where some have the same problems, while others, including Pooh, say the speaker is clear. Is this a DA converter issue somehow where the phone part is just poor quality in some? I figure if it was an actual hardware speaker issue then all sounds would be distorted, but they're not.

So, lets get some input. Have any of you whose speaker sounded terrible been able to swap them out and that fix the problem? Or, does your replacement sound the same? What should I do?

To Swap or Not To Swap?
    The speakerphone is crap on my 800w. My mic cuts in and out, and the speaker itself sounds terrible anywhere above 3/4. But this does not really matter to me at all.
    the speaker phone has terrible sound quality- my 755 was way better for sure
    Yeah, it crackles even when I play music on it... anyone else experiencing this problem?
    Soysauce, my wife's new 800w had the same crackle on everything TV, speakerphone, earpiece, and it could be heard on my phone when she called me. Pulled out the battery and restarted the phone. All is well for now. Hope this helps!
    Now I can report something about my experience with Palm Treo800w..

BROWSING is way better than in my PalmTreo755p.

HOWEVER,
    as everyone else reports above, the SOUND is terrible, especially when on speaker phone!
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    My speakerphone distorts as well and sounds like crap. I hope this can be fixed.
    Have to admit the speaker phone does not compare to the 700wx. Also it can be difficult to hear during regular phone calls through the ear piece.
    both the ear piece and speaker phone are crap on my phone. garbage.

i love it otherwise. pity, really..
    i500 --> 6700 --> 6800 --> 800w
    is this issue handset-dependent?

if so, i'm considering requesting replacement for the phone...
    if this is true to all, i may have to go back to treo755p...

anyone doesn't have any issue with the scratchy speaker phone, actually liking the speaker phone quality?
    Quote Originally Posted by soysauce23 View Post
    Yeah, it crackles even when I play music on it... anyone else experiencing this problem?
    I am getting the crackling and popping as well. Very disturbing, may be the thing that sends this back though overall I like the device functionality.
  12.    #12  
    Sounds like I'm not the only one with bad speaker phone quailty. But, what about other audio like MP3 playback? For me if I play MP3s over the speaker they sound great. Is there some way it's just a software issue with the phone part?
    Well, I guess I am going to be the lone voice of dissent (thus far)...

I've made about a half dozen test calls, both using the speakerphone and the handset, and the call quality is EXCELLENT, as is the speakerphone performance.

I don't know what you fellas are hearing, but it must be a damn site different than my experience.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Extremecinema View Post
    Well, I guess I am going to be the lone voice of dissent (thus far)...

I've made about a half dozen test calls, both using the speakerphone and the handset, and the call quality is EXCELLENT, as is the speakerphone performance.
    Really? Well, that gives hope that maybe it's just some faulty devices. Maybe I will try a return and see if I get one that works right.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lepricon View Post
    Really? Well, that gives hope that maybe it's just some faulty devices. Maybe I will try a return and see if I get one that works right.
    In the last few minutes, I made a handful of calls to my house, randomly switching between my Moto V9 (on ATT) and the 800w. My wife could not tell the difference between the two devices when using the handset...however she did say that there was a difference in timbre when using the speakerphones in each device. Not necessarily bad...just different.
    I think I got a good one. Call quality seems fine and speaker sounds better than my wx for music and calls.
    Global Posts
    756 Global Posts
    Yep, trying to stream music on mine and I get a crackling noise also.
    Kash76

Sprint - Treo 650, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro
    My speaker phone and ear peace is not very good as well. The person on the other line also gets an echo if I have the ear peace volume all the way up. Anyone think it can be fixed with a software update or is it a hardware issue?
  19. Cel
    Global Posts
    290 Global Posts
    I also have no complaints about call quality from either the handset or speakerphone. I also think the speaker sounds pretty good for music... listening to streaming music right now, at least equal to my 700wx if not better.

Either there are some defective units out there or we have some real nitpickers here...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cel View Post
    I also have no complaints about call quality from either the handset or speakerphone. I also think the speaker sounds pretty good for music... listening to streaming music right now, at least equal to my 700wx if not better.
    Either there are
    some defective units out there or we have some real nitpickers here...
    this is it...

every time my friend on the other end speaks with force in his voice, the phone gives off crack-y or scratch-y sound
    and the conversation is inaudible(can't understand any word he speaks)..
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast