Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Returned my < 24hr-old 800w today because of the horrible (muffled) call quality. The rep made a test call; agreed, then swapped me out with a new one. This one's a bit better, but still has a noticeable muffled effect when on a call (the rep concurred). Pisses me off that they couldn't master **the** primary function of this device before release.
  2. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fgkay View Post
    Returned my < 24hr-old 800w today because of the horrible (muffled) call quality. The rep made a test call; agreed, then swapped me out with a new one. This one's a bit better, but still has a noticeable muffled effect when on a call (the rep concurred). Pisses me off that they couldn't master **the** primary function of this device before release.
    Works good for me.
    mine is extraordinarily poor sound for a $600 retail device as well. worst of any handset I have had including other treos.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    mine is extraordinarily poor sound for a $600 retail device as well. worst of any handset I have had including other treos.
    Just to make certain I'm not being too critical of the 800's sound quality, I just tried a couple of comparison calls on my daughter's cracked screen, near-destroyed Sanyo. The difference is astounding -- the Sanyo sounds crystal clear; the Treo sounds like the other person is speaking through a towel.
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    I think im gonna open the 2nd 800w that sprint has shipped me and do a direct comparison with my current 800w. Hopefully this can help us be certain that it's not a spotty quality issue (i.e., trying another 800w will fix it) and it's in fact a poor quality speaker/poor processing
    I agree on the poor sound quality. It's absolutely more muffled sounding than my 700wx. Not good. But I'm willing to put up with it for now.
    Mine was horrible. Both at the ear piece and voice quality at the other end. I cannot believe that the Beta testers did not report this and have it fixed before it was released.
    Quote Originally Posted by Treo8669 View Post
    Mine was horrible. Both at the ear piece and voice quality at the other end. I cannot believe that the Beta testers did not report this and have it fixed before it was released.

Does not surprise me. My 700P and 700wx both have poor voice quality. They sound alright in the receiving end of the Treo but to the other caller the Treo's sound distant and muffled.

I gave my wife my 700wx once for a shopping trip so she could use the TomTom, I kept her Samsung I600 2003smartphone.
    When she called me her voice was completly different then when we have the other phones.

Does the 800w breakup and cut out? My 700WX does this all the time, that makes me more mad than the poor sound.
    Still waiting for Hitachi to reintroduce the G1000 with a VGA screen and more memory. I still miss that crash prone beauty.
  9. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Palm_forlackofchoice View Post

Does the 800w breakup and cut out? My 700WX does this all the time, that makes me more mad than the poor sound.
    The speakerphone does this unfortunately on mine, it does not do it on regular calls.
    Quote Originally Posted by okashira View Post
    I think im gonna open the 2nd 800w that sprint has shipped me and do a direct comparison with my current 800w. Hopefully this can help us be certain that it's not a spotty quality issue (i.e., trying another 800w will fix it) and it's in fact a poor quality speaker/poor processing
    Did you open the second one? Any difference? Mine is definitely muffled... pretty frusterating. I guess I can live with it, but why should we have to? How could they release a phone like that?
    Couple of thoughts on this one.

The 800w, just like the 700wx and the 650, seems to be dependant on the angle and positioning of the speaker in relation to the ear.

Several times I've noticed a "muffled" (described as sounding like someone's speaking through a towel, perfect description) sound. Repositioning the phone has fixed it every time.

The second thing is that the call quality appears to be more signal/service/tower dependant (in comparison to my 650 or 700wx). When the signals strong and clear, the sound quality is absolutely fantastic. When the signals poor, or when it jumps towers during the middle of a conversation, the sound quality drops off rather sharply. The 800w doesn't appear to adjust back up to the excellent sound quality once the signal bounces back up, it stays at the poor quality.

In this case calling the person in question back has resulted in the quality being excellent.

As a slight aside (but quite related) my wife believed that she had a serious problem with her phone because randomly the person on the other end couldn't hear her (or would hear a very muffled voice, as if you placed your hand over your mouth). She swore up and down it was the phone. I watched her using it.....and darned if she didn't place her pinky directly over the microphone hole.

She still does it. But at least she's stopped asking for a new phone.
    I think this is more of a software issue... The speaker sounds GREAT when playing MP3 files... and not even close to being as good on voice calls. My earpeice isn't the best sounding at all but I didn't buy this phone for having calls clear as day. I bought this phone for not having to carry my laptop with me everywhere and making only a few calls a day.

The earpeice sound isn't the best but it will do. Hopefully a software update will fix this but if not, the benefits out weigh the negitives.

Could be made of 24k gold instead of this soft feel plastic. That's my big complaint.
    BTW, if your on the phone a lot, get a nice bluetooth.. New jawbone assasin is the BEST.
    Quote Originally Posted by b3tt3r View Post
    I think this is more of a software issue... The speaker sounds GREAT when playing MP3 files... and not even close to being as good on voice calls. My earpeice isn't the best sounding at all but I didn't buy this phone for having calls clear as day.

Don't MP3's use the speakerphone, while voice calls (unless on speaker phone) use the earpiece speaker?

Don't have a MicroSD card yet, so no MP3's on my phone to test, but this is how both my 650 and 700wx worked.

If that's the case, then you're comparing apples to oranges.
    you're not alone...

i'm returning the 2nd 800w (replacement i received via ups) to a corporate sprint store today and request again for a new one...
    My 800w is pure junk too. I thought the point of having a phone was to be able to speak with other people over great distances. Almost can't be used because the earpiece speaker is so bad. Palm's taking a TON of returns back.
    My 800w sounds much worse than my Q9c at both earpiece and speaker. The 800w isn't intolerable, but definitely much worse than the Moto.

Todd/Indy
    Weird, my 800w sounds great! It's not perfect but I'd say it's as good or better than the 700wx. The speaker phone is exceptionally great (SprintTV!)
    Quote Originally Posted by tbhausen View Post
    My 800w sounds much worse than my Q9c at both earpiece and speaker. The 800w isn't intolerable, but definitely much worse than the Moto.

Todd/Indy
    I agree. I like the 800w but not sure if I like it better then my Q9c.
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    I noticed the muffled sound on my first call. Doesn't seem to matter whether I use the hands free (wired one that comes with it) or not. It's annoying but not a deal-breaker. It does seem like something that could be cleared up by a software update, but that's just a guess.
    Twitter: @dvdmon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast