Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Went and picked up an 800 to try out. The one they had as a demo had no contrast at all (very little if any). So I though that it might have a problem but the one I got new out of the box is just as bad. 2 steps forward and 1 step backwards again for Palm. The 320x320 screen is not worth the bad looks of this screen. Forget seeing it in direct sunlight, clearly at least. Worst of any Palm I have ever seen and I have had them all.
    Other than that (which is really really big) it seems to be ok. Speed and whatnot seem in line with Palm Treos.

Joe
    Did you try adjusting the screen settings to make sure no one messed them up? I can go into any phone store and make their screens look like **** but that doesn't mean they are ****.
    Wow, you bashed Palm, be prepared for the serious Palm Fanboys to bash you.

Anyway, I could not agree more. The things that are killing me so far is battery life, a dim screen and non supported apps on the 320x320 screen. Although everyone says the 320x320 screen is not Palm's fault. However the other two issues I have are.

Are you returning yours?
    Quote Originally Posted by jpasint View Post
    Went and picked up an 800 to try out. The one they had as a demo had no contrast at all (very little if any). So I though that it might have a problem but the one I got new out of the box is just as bad. 2 steps forward and 1 step backwards again for Palm. The 320x320 screen is not worth the bad looks of this screen. Forget seeing it in direct sunlight, clearly at least. Worst of any Palm I have ever seen and I have had them all.
    Other than that (which is really really big) it seems to be ok. Speed and whatnot seem in line with Palm Treos.

Joe

The default brightness setting is only 50%. Bump it up to 100% and it looks way better.
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DjPiLL View Post
    The default brightness setting is only 50%. Bump it up to 100% and it looks way better.
    Ok, I'll give that a try....
    while i agree with the screen being at default 50%, even at 100% it isnt as bright as other devices out there.

Still, it isnt awful by any means. I generally use one above 50% indoors and almost 100 % outdoors.
    Global Posts
    112 Global Posts
    Was the clear type on? For me if the clear type isn't on and the words looks all jagged and it makes the screen look bad, with it on it looks really good. I just played with one today and it wasn't bad.
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post

Anyway, I could not agree more. The things that are killing me so far is battery life, a dim screen and non supported apps on the 320x320 screen. Although everyone says the 320x320 screen is not Palm's fault. However the other two issues I have are.

Are you returning yours?

seriously why don't you just get rid of your phone and leave..i'm neither a fanboy nor a hater of palm but you're gettting on my virtual nerves. You don't even bring anything constructive other than ignorant hatred. I'm sure you have something better to do with your life...or maybe you don't..
    The word "Fanboy" sounds derogatory to me, which, I suppose could be used only in connection with Apple and its products... right? On the other hand, Palm enthusiasts (and fans) love to bash Palm for its shortcomings, because they like it so much and want to see new features and improvements incorporated.
    Being a new resolution at 320x320, there are bound to be some incompatible softwares. But most of the software developers are upgrading their apps to support this since there will be more models coming out with this reso. Some already had. Check out the i780 community online. Here is one forum talking about compatible softwares.

http://www.ppcsg.com/index.php?showtopic=98420
    I really need to get an Invisible Shield, Boxwave (preferable) or other screen protector for this like my Mogul. One that not only keeps finger prints off, but takes away the glare. The screen is beautiful but in direct sunlight I couldn't read anything. I have no complaints though; I'd rather have the high res screen but I'm ordering the protector as soon as possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by lawilson2 View Post
    I really need to get an Invisible Shield, Boxwave (preferable) or other screen protector for this like my Mogul. One that not only keeps finger prints off, but takes away the glare. The screen is beautiful but in direct sunlight I couldn't read anything. I have no complaints though; I'd rather have the high res screen but I'm ordering the protector as soon as possible.
    Let's support this guy...

http://store.treocentral.com/smartph...k/15A43A28.htm
    As soon as it says 800w I'll definitely consider it!
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ddeath View Post
    Being a new resolution at 320x320, there are bound to be some incompatible softwares. But most of the software developers are upgrading their apps to support this since there will be more models coming out with this reso. Some already had. Check out the i780 community online. Here is one forum talking about compatible softwares.

http://www.ppcsg.com/index.php?showtopic=98420
    I have no issues understanding that the new 320 resolution will require developers to update their software. That is totally expected. But the screen is just not bright enough, dull, and has no contrast. Using the GPS in the car is IMPOSSIBLE. Other than the screen I really like the phone. The LED is bright! Although Phonealarm does not work yet.

I think I will have to stick with AT&T and wait for the 850 and check to see if the screen is more usable.

Take care.

Joe
    a dim screen and non supported apps on the 320x320 screen. Although everyone says the 320x320 screen is not Palm's fault. However the other two issues I have are.
    well fault may be too strong a word... at least wrt dim screen. All other things being equal (backlight, LCD materials, etc), an LCD with a higher dot pitch (dpi, pixels per unit area) is going to be naturally dimmer simply because the "fill factor", the minimum dead area around a pixel is going to occupy a greater fraction of the entire area. So a 20-30% hit in screen brightness wouldn't be unexpected at all, given the higher res... And I'm sure it doesn't help that the power budget means that Palm would be reluctant to drive the backlight higher to compensate...

OLEDs are probably the answer
    Quote Originally Posted by jpasint View Post
    I have no issues understanding that the new 320 resolution will require developers to update their software. That is totally expected. But the screen is just not bright enough, dull, and has no contrast. Using the GPS in the car is IMPOSSIBLE. Other than the screen I really like the phone. The LED is bright! Although Phonealarm does not work yet.

I think I will have to stick with AT&T and wait for the 850 and check to see if the screen is more usable.

Take care.

Joe

I have to agree with jpasint. I found the same issue with the 700w vs. 750. The 700 didn’t allow the screen to go as bright as possible. I found it very hard to use as a GPS which is a primary function of my phone do to the traveling I do for work.

If the screen brightness is less than the 750 then I am afraid it is a deal killer. I hope to go to the Sprint Store tonight to test drive it and see for myself.

-D
    Quote Originally Posted by Bootup View Post
    seriously why don't you just get rid of your phone and leave..i'm neither a fanboy nor a hater of palm but you're gettting on my virtual nerves. You don't even bring anything constructive other than ignorant hatred. I'm sure you have something better to do with your life...or maybe you don't..
    How about you call someone who virtual cares about your nerves.

If I have issues with a Treo device I can certainly express them on a Treo forum. Sorry, it's not against the rules. If you've been a hole, many users are doing the same. Hmm..like the original poster of this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by lawilson2 View Post
    As soon as it says 800w I'll definitely consider it!
    The 800w screen is *BARELY* smaller than the 700wx. If anything, it'll fit better.
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrozB View Post
    I have to agree with jpasint. I found the same issue with the 700w vs. 750. The 700 didn’t allow the screen to go as bright as possible. I found it very hard to use as a GPS which is a primary function of my phone do to the traveling I do for work.

If the screen brightness is less than the 750 then I am afraid it is a deal killer. I hope to go to the Sprint Store tonight to test drive it and see for myself.

-D
    The Treo 650 had a plenty bright screen and it was 320. I think you are more right on when you mention battery. I think they have tuned it down for the battery's sake. This is a major issue for a lot of users though.

Joe
    If the screen is dimmer, I would think that soon someone will be able to give us a registry hack in order to reenable the brightness to its absolute max.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast