Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    I've been pouring through the threads, and I see all the issues that people are dealing with, but none of them is a deal breaker to me. After all this is a Treo. It's always been my workhorse, and no other phone has done it better for me. I've tried them all... Iphone, HTCs, Samsung, Q9c... You can say whatever you want, but the Treo bests them all for daily use.

So, while I am expecting my Treo tomorrow, I wanted to know from everyone who has one, how is that 1150 mAh battery treating you? For the Treo to be a true one, it's gotta last me as much as my old one did. Heck, even my Mogul makes it through a couple of days (and I HATE that phone).

So... for all you who have the phone, please report your usage, battery life concerns, and charging pattern. I know a couple of you have complained about it already, but I wanted to have one searchable thread where people could quickly see reports from various people.

Regardless, new Treo always equal happy days!!! It's been a long time coming.
    thanks for starting this thread... i'm also going to receive my 800w tomorrow, and i'm guessing the majority of complaints re battery life might be due to people running gps, wifi, and bluetooth all at the same time, in addition to tons of web usage, etc... i might be wrong, but my feeling is that standard phone/txt/internet usage (once out of the honeymoon period), with gps/bt/wifi turned on only as needed would probably yield pretty comparable battery life to the 700wx (but again, i'm speculating).

thoughts?
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    And to expand on this, I am a Touch user (with a 1100 ma battery I believe) and it makes it through the day... So any former Touch users using the Treo? Compare that battery for me please...
    Like Malatesta said. I think it is premature to rely on the information here at this moment. If you used any PDA phone before, you should know the battery is more stable after using a week.
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    I too had a touch -- battery was crappy crap crap. Treo seems better so far but have not really tested it. However I used it most of the day yesterday (not many calls) just playing with GPS and other data apps. Battery definitely "seemed" better. But we all know how that goes... I will be doing more rigorous testing in the next few days.
    I don't think it is reasonable at all to get 700wx-like battery life from a device that has a 33 pct smaller battery and supports a higher-res screen and a faster internet connection.

I accept that the stock battery will be awful, but that will not prevent me from buying what is otherwise a perfect phone (after the GPS recognition and resolution adjustment issues have been ironed out).
    Battery life is always bad the first few days of a new phone because you are testing and re-testing every feature. After you get used the cool features you fall back into normal usage patterns. For example, the first day you get the 800w you will use GPS to get to the local grocery just to test how well it works. Under normal usage you will not use GPS or Wifi nearly as much as you do when learning the device.

I get 2 whole days out of my Centro sometimes depending on my call volume and length so this battery should be able to make a full day under normal usage.
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    You guys act like we aren't old hat at this. I don't want to bash you guys, but I'm not here as a guy who doesn't use multiple type of electronics that have rechargeable batteries in them.

No one asked for day and day reporting of battery, just usage reports. And, conditionioning the battery may settle it down, but you're not getting extra hours from doing so, so that theory goes out the window.

As far as playing with new things, sure, a lot of you may do that, but I would wager that many just get their stuff installed and then go about using their Treo like..... the last Treo they bought.

So, going back to my original post, if you have any comments about your battery, please post them here so that we can understand if it will be serviceable as an every day phone. If you don't have the phone and aren't looking for information about the battery life, why post?
  9. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by porcaccio View Post
    As far as playing with new things, sure, a lot of you may do that, but I would wager that many just get their stuff installed and then go about using their Treo like..... the last Treo they bought.
    Not me, I have been messing with this thing non-stop since Friday.
    Also, I'm pretty sure that new batteries do not have full capacity until they've gone through a few charge/discharge cycles.
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG View Post
    Not me, I have been messing with this thing non-stop since Friday.
    That could be why the battery life seems short. I know with my 700wx, on regular use (Emails, occassional web browsing, 2-3 min phone calls about 1-2 times a day, turn on/off keyboard light as needed), I can make my phone last a whole day, probably even longer. I always charge my phone at night, so I never go beyond a days use. But if I used it out of the ordinary on full capacity (Sling player, frequent and longer phone calls, more frequent web browsing and emails) I would probably make the phone last not even 1/2 a day.

I would assume with the 800w, the keyboard light turns on, even during the day. So you would need to look into an app that turns off the keyboard light on/off manually.

Also, I know there's a nice little screen saver on the 800w that shows the time and number of SMS messages. This would probably kill some of the battery.
    Quote Originally Posted by sndtubes View Post
    Also, I'm pretty sure that new batteries do not have full capacity until they've gone through a few charge/discharge cycles.
    nah, lith battieries don't change much from one week of conditioning, one or two percent maybe.

More to the point the type of battery in this phone ages from amount of discharge cycles. This means if it discharges to 20% twice per day you can expect the battery to be at 50% or so of perfect new condition in 6 to 8 months months. one 75% discharge to 25% per day will put the battery at about 60% or less in less than a year.

In my view the battery is significantly under capacity (I feel by 25-35%). When some here say "it has brighterr screen and wifi" I really wonder if they mean that someone other than palm added these things without palm knowing. Palm designed the device with the features. A 40% higher mA battery would add at most 10% in size and weight to the net of the device. And about 1 to 2% of its design and production costs.

Also of note is Sprint had an extra battery added to the instinct package which is coming out at the same time, and which is in same price range.
    I think the battery will be fine. I have been getting at least 10 hours with pretty heavy use.
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    Has anyone tried their Palm Centro battery in the 800w?

I heard that it doesn't but I am looking for confirmation.

I am hoping it works so my wife and I will be able to use the same batteries and chargers.
    Quote Originally Posted by mabmarc View Post
    Has anyone tried their Palm Centro battery in the 800w?

I heard that it doesn't but I am looking for confirmation.

I am hoping it works so my wife and I will be able to use the same batteries and chargers.
    One of the more trusted forum members posted this:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...6&postcount=85

From what he says, it should work...
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    I've been using a Sprint 700wx for 2 years total and 1 year with the Seidio 2600mAh battery. I got my 800w this morning and have been using it all day. Surprisingly, the battery is lasting well with Exchange mail setup and working. I'm not going to make any real judgements though for a few days.

As far as the Centro battery goes, I know it will work. The store rep gave me a freebie Centro battery and it has the exact same type # on it. The only difference between the batteries that I can see is the serial number and the little red and white strip for water damage detection. The Centro battery doesn't have it.
    Now we just need to find the fat case, as I have the extended battery in my Centro.
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    First charge Report

Settings:

Bluetooth Off
    GPS Off
    WiFi Off

I charged my 800w the first time on Monday afternoon. Just looked at it, and I am down to about 25% battery going into Wednesday morning. My usage was on par with what I did with my 700wx...

-Exchange email on with Push during the day, but on timed polling at night. During the day, I receive hundreds of emails.
    -A decent amount of text messaging
    -A couple of phone calls here and there, maybe totaling 15 minutes.
    -Some web browsing, but mainly to check personal email, so combined maybe 5~10 minutes.
    -Used the GPS twice to try the new Maps program (great idea, terrible implementation compared to Live Search).
    - Finally about 15 minutes playing around with settings and such to customize my Today screen and interface.

Right now I am not mad at the battery at all. I will reserve judgement until I have to use it as a phone more than I have in the past couple of days. Will update battery usage.
  19. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    It is atrocious.
    It's pretty bad. I admit that I used it very heavily (GPS, Web surfing, emailing, etc...) but it looked pretty low after 3-4 hours before I had to plug it in again. I think I will get a spare battery, or perhaps 2 to carry around. Kinda sucks, as I love almost everything else about the phone.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast