Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by govtcheez View Post
    It's pretty bad. I admit that I used it very heavily (GPS, Web surfing, emailing, etc...) but it looked pretty low after 3-4 hours before I had to plug it in again. I think I will get a spare battery, or perhaps 2 to carry around. Kinda sucks, as I love almost everything else about the phone.
    I make it about 4-5 hours, even less when making a heavy call volume. I will certainly be buying a spare battery.
    worst battery life I have experience in a phone and or pda ever. Battery drops over 10% doing nothing with the screen off for a couple hours. Went from ~50 to ~10 overnight not touching it with wifi off.

my 700wx would last me 2 or 3 days before I had to plug it in, this is constantly on the charger. On the upside, I can make it from my desk (where I have a charger) down 3 flights of stairs and acrosss the parking lot to my my (where I have another charger,) without the battery dying.
    mine lasted from 6:30 in the morning to 8:30pm.......

i use it off and on during the day sending texts and making calls. dont really mess with the gps or anything else really so im sure they plays a role

we'll see on the days i use the phone more
    i was actually very surprised.........had it out for 6 hours at a friend's house playing with it...had plenty juice left when I got home. But I'm waiting for Seido (?) to release the "brick" battery for this thing...
    Last edited by IGoDwnTwn34; 07/16/2008 at 10:01 AM. Reason: happy
    GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP.....GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP!!!
  5. rex
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lordmarqui View Post
    with gps/bt/wifi turned on only as needed would probably yield pretty comparable battery life to the 700wx (but again, i'm speculating).

thoughts?
    how do you turn off GPS?? BT, wifi I understand.
    Rex
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG View Post
    I make it about 4-5 hours, even less when making a heavy call volume. I will certainly be buying a spare battery.
    Oh my. People aren't even getting through an entire day without using wifi, GPS or the internet. That's shockingly bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    Oh my. People aren't even getting through an entire day without using wifi, GPS or the internet. That's shockingly bad.
    Oh my?

Granny, is that you?

The phone is rated for "up to 4 hours talk time".

What do you think happens on heavy use? This is WM we're talking about--how is this shocking?

btw, why do you harp on all the negative reports yet disregard the positive ones like porcaccio, sbpooch, IGoDwnTwn34, etc?

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    it is shockingly bad. for a device with this many cool features, it should have a bigger battery. if people want a small phone they get a centro, if they want a workhorse they get a treo. the two should not share a battery.

that being said, the phone is so badass im willing to stick it on the charger more often to keep it
    I can only agree with what's been said. The battery is not prohibitively weak. After a half day of normal use (as most of the above, a couple dozen text messages, two 5 min phone calls, push mail and I listened to streaming radio for 20 minutes on the drive home) and Im at 60%.

It will make it an entire day of "normal" usage. The trouble is, most of us on this board and many Treo users in general are not "normal" users. If you are on a two hour phone call then have to FTP some files from a server to your phone to give to a client, well, things aren't going to be pretty come 2pm.

I don't know if what Palm decided is necessarily bad though. I don't think they are just trying to make life miserable for people. This board is just a slightly biased representation of users. We lean towards the heavy/power use. This is a small, thin, light and pretty powerful phone. For those who don't use the hell out of it all day, those are nice attributes. For the rest of us, we'll just have to realize we need a big *** battery and get a Seidio. I had the 3200 mAh monster for my Mogul. Yes it makes it sort of heavy, but i could also leave WM WiFi Router up for hours at a time or go 2-3 days without a charge and very heavy use. It's simple physics (or chemistry if you prefer).
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    battery life is terrible bad.

an hour in the morning checking my email once and im down to 88%?
    This is a great device that will only get better when Seidio releases their extended battery. Until then, I'm planning my day around access to a charger.
    Quote Originally Posted by ScoopSero View Post
    battery life is terrible bad.

an hour in the morning checking my email once and im down to 88%?
    Did it start at 100%? The biggest blunder I've noticed to date is that the charger does not appear to keep the battery topped off. I typically start the day with around 92-93 percent. Note that the LED turns green above 90%. My guess is that once you've reached 100%, it doesn't start charging again until it drops below 90%.
    So, basically I'm seeing the consensus is this:

The battery is sufficient for this new phone with GPS and WiFi, as long as you don't really USE the GPS and WiFi nor talk very long. In other words, the battery won't die quickly as long as you don't use the phone for the features you bought it for.

Seems like purchasing a car with A/C, A/T, 8 Cylinder engine - and it comes with a 3 gallon gas tank.

Palm, you know I love you, but 10-20MB (usable) was NOT enough RAM in the Treo 650, 1600 mAh is NOT enough battery life in the Treo 755, and nearly all people who purchase this phone expecting to reasonably use the features you included will be sadly disappointed in the battery life you've spec'd here.

I contend that the ability to supply sufficient power to an untethered device should be a higher priority than minor weight and "slimline" considerations. In the beginning and the end, we buy these things to USE, not watch their pretty carcasses charge.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    i was listening to mp3s and doing some occasional web surfing for about 2.f hours and went from 100 to 40. continued browsing has brought be down to 27% as of this post. i was 100% at 10am cst
    Quote Originally Posted by Joad View Post

The battery is sufficient for this new phone with GPS and WiFi, as long as you don't really USE the GPS and WiFi nor talk very long. In other words, the battery won't die quickly as long as you don't use the phone for the features you bought it for.

Seems like purchasing a car with A/C, A/T, 8 Cylinder engine - and it comes with a 3 gallon gas tank.

Palm, you know I love you, but 10-20MB (usable) was NOT enough RAM in the Treo 650, 1600 mAh is NOT enough battery life in the Treo 755, and nearly all people who purchase this phone expecting to reasonably use the features you included will be sadly disappointed in the battery life you've spec'd here.

I contend that the ability to supply sufficient power to an untethered device should be a higher priority than minor weight and "slimline" considerations. In the beginning and the end, we buy these things to USE, not watch their pretty carcasses charge.
    Exactly. I've got a stock-sized 1800mAh battery in my Mogul and the step down to a paltry 1150mAh is HUGE for me. I kind of like being able to use the GPS, WiFi, BT, Exchage and EVDO.
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    I don't think anyone here is disagreeing with the fact that the battery should have been beefier (by the way, how many are complaining to Sprint/Palm?) . What I am getting at, is that for me, since WiFi means NOTHING on a device like the Treo ( I like the full experience, not some watered down, unformatted version of the web). GPS is very useful, but only when I need it. And in that, I only need it a) if I am looking for a business and b) if I am in the car trying to get somewhere. In case b) I'd rather have the Treo connected (or the Mogul, when I used that), so that the battery doesn't run down at all while I am using the GPS.

I still say that the battery is too short, and if I were to use the phone a lot more, I'd complain more. But for my needs at this point it is sufficient. Once Sling gets their act together, I might be here complaining along side you guys, though :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joad View Post

Complaining about battery life on a WM device is like complaining about politics. The 6700, 700wx, Moto Q, Q9c (with hump), Mogul, Touch all get "horrible battery life" according to a lot of forums.

It's not that you can't "use the features that you bought the phone for" but rather a lot of people use it for more than it was designed for...e.g. surfing the web and listening to mp3s for 2 hrs is not exactly professional use of this phone.

It's meant to pull information quickly when you need it, not to replace your laptop, which is how people are treating it.

And comparing a "stock sized" (yet 3rd party manufactured, larger capacity battery that took awhile to hit the market) larger battery to the 800w is a bit disingenuous, imo.

All I can say is what I have been saying: try the phone for 30 days for yourself and then judge how well it works/doesn't. Going by message boards (especially ones that attract more hard-core users) is a bit biased against the guy who just uses it for normal usage.
    Last edited by Malatesta; 07/16/2008 at 01:12 PM.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    i agree that im not using it for "business" purposes, and yeah, it's replacing a laptop for me, but my 700wx did this just fine, id expect the newer phone to do the same. i never once complained about battery life in the 700 since the stock battery would get me through a whole day, sometimes 2 if i didnt use it as often. i considered an extended battery for it so i could get 2 or 3 days away from the charger. yet on the 800, i am begging for an extended battery just so i can make it through one day.

part of the problem with this phone and its battery life for my purposes, is that i cannot plug in my headphones and charger at the same time, thus draining my battery while listening to mp3s and sitting right next to my charger. i ordered the microusb splitter from palm today (the one that was posted earlier in another thread). site said it was in stock and took my order. then i get an email saying this is a product slated for future release and my card will be charged when it is in stock. um....your site says it is in stock and you allowed me to order...if its a "coming soon", mark it as such like everyone else does.

/end rant. i really do love this device, i think a couple of things were poorly overlooked during development
    I'm "that guy" who just has this phone for normal usage, and the battery life is wayyy better than my old 700wx, even though the battery is much smaller.

Since I've only had it for a couple days, I've actually been playing with it quite a bit, and yet after 24 hours without a charge, my battery is at 70%.
    My 700wx would have been at 40%.

Signed,

A happy new 800w owner
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    It's not that you can't "use the features that you bought the phone for" but rather a lot of people use it for more than it was designed for...e.g. surfing the web and listening to mp3s for 2 hrs is not exactly professional use of this phone.

It's meant to pull information quickly when you need it, not to replace your laptop, which is how people are treating it.

And comparing a "stock sized" (yet 3rd party manufactured, larger capacity battery that took awhile to hit the market) larger battery to the 800w is a bit disingenuous, imo.
    What a weak argument. Now Mal is telling people not to use the 800w in any "non-professional" way because that's not what the battery was designed for. LOL Remember not to use that pesky internet.

Please put your stock-sized 1800mAh battery in your 800w and then let's do a "fair" comparison. What's that? None exist or ever will? Oops.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast