Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by crazie.eddie View Post
    sw.unl unlocks Garmin software. gmapsupp.unl unlocks the map. Those are both text files, that you can edit/create. Both need to be located in the Garmin folder on the SD card.
    What needs to be in these files?
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
    sw.unl just the unlock code for Garmin. If you have the incorrect unlock code, you will get prompted for the trial version and I believe it will only allow you to configure using a Garmin GPS receiver.

gmapsupp.unl unlock code for the map
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    sw.unl unlocks Garmin software. gmapsupp.unl unlocks the map. Those are both text files, that you can edit/create. Both need to be located in the Garmin folder on the SD card.
    Ah, I figured it out. sw.unl wasn't on my card, so I just created my own file and put it on my card, and this "unlocked" the software. However, it is now "searching for satellites" and cannot seem to find any. In fact, it completely locked up my phone, and just had to do a soft reset...

Update: Oops, I THOUGHT I'd have to do a soft reset but it finally responded. When I go to view the sattelite/GPS info in Mobile XT, it says "GPS Intermediate Driver" if that means anything. Oh, now it's locked up again, blah!

WM is telling me Services.exe is reporting errors, hmmm...
    Last edited by dvdmon; 07/28/2008 at 09:56 AM.
    Twitter: @dvdmon

Thanks CE for the help. I will test garmin after work today and see how it runs. I will update you guys later
    Quote Originally Posted by dvdmon View Post
    Ah, I figured it out. sw.unl wasn't on my card, so I just created my own file and put it on my card, and this "unlocked" the software. However, it is now "searching for satellites" and cannot seem to find any. In fact, it completely locked up my phone, and just had to do a soft reset...

Update: Oops, I THOUGHT I'd have to do a soft reset but it finally responded. When I go to view the sattelite/GPS info in Mobile XT, it says "GPS Intermediate Driver" if that means anything. Oh, now it's locked up again, blah!

WM is telling me Services.exe is reporting errors, hmmm...
    I haven't had any problems with Garmin running, in the way you mentioned. Try soft resetting the device.

Quote Originally Posted by chocmatic View Post
    Thanks CE for the help. I will test garmin after work today and see how it runs. I will update you guys later
    NP
    Here's a few configs I found to make Garmin respond a little faster...

1. If you want Garmin to show your actual location instead of it assuming that you're still on the road. Settings > Map > Show Location > At GPS location.

2. If you want the voice to stop saying "Recalculating" when you deviate from your route. Settings > Routing > Off-Road Recalculation > Automatic - Silent
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Ladies and gents...

You must properly unlock the software (once copied to the new card) for the software to work properly. If not, you will forever get the 'searching for GPS' message, or something similar. To this end, I have created a small package for those interested that contains the key generator program, as well as the full and correct instructions on how to do this. I do not accept responsibility for this software. Nor do I deserve the credit for this, as I did not discover or create this. Others much smarter than me discovered this. I am merely providing the means to get what you need in a 'one stop shopping' method. Enjoy.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/u3vtlp
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    Ok, finally started working. Part of the problem was it couldn't pick up any sattelites while I was sitting in my office. I have windows in my office, and it has no problems picking them up when I'm in my home office, but whatever. Once I went to the window, it was able to pick them up and Garmin was showing where I was. Now the next problem! It doesn't seem to want to show local streets. When I try to navigate, it says it needs detailed maps. I did edit the gmapsup.unl with my generated code, so I'm not sure why it's not picking that up...

Ok, finally started working. Part of the problem was it couldn't pick up any sattelites while I was sitting in my office. I have windows in my office, and it has no problems picking them up when I'm in my home office, but whatever. Once I went to the window, it was able to pick them up and Garmin was showing where I was. Now the next problem! It doesn't seem to want to show local streets. When I try to navigate, it says it needs detailed maps. I did edit the gmapsup.unl with my generated code, so I'm not sure why it's not picking that up...
    Are you using City Navigator North America NT 2009 or City Navigator North America 2009?

If you're using the basemap that you download from Garmin's website, it shows you nothing, which is why I never even bothered installing it on my device.
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    Are you using City Navigator North America NT 2009 or City Navigator North America 2009?

If you're using the basemap that you download from Garmin's website, it shows you nothing, which is why I never even bothered installing it on my device.
    No, I'm using the maps that I got from the card that came with my Garmin Mobile 20. How can I tell what version they are? When I go to the about screen under content it just says Worldwide Routable Basemap v4.00.

Update:

sending this using opera web browser. just used garmin to find a place to eat near work. it worked flawlessly with no interruptions
    Last edited by chocmatic; 07/28/2008 at 05:41 PM.
    Update #2:

I used garmin on my way home from work with the phone turned off no data signal etc..I had no interruptions. Whenever I turned on a street that I wasn't suppose to, it recalculated to get me to my destination from the current location. The only thing it did not do was retrieve current traffic.
    Quote Originally Posted by chocmatic View Post
    I used garmin on my way home from work with the phone turned off no data signal etc..I had no interruptions.
    The problem of no standalone remains. If you soft reset first you would find you not get this to work with no cell tower information.
    No, I'm using the maps that I got from the card that came with my Garmin Mobile 20. How can I tell what version they are? When I go to the about screen under content it just says Worldwide Routable Basemap v4.00.
    I just received a new microSD card from Garmin. Once in the phone and a softreset done, it is working like a champ!

I, too, picked up the Woot deal. And Garmin REALLY took care of me on this.

Could not ask for better customer service.
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    I will try igo and navigon MN in a few weeks.
    Here's a fix for running Navigon 6 & 7 on Treo 800w
    Click here for more Treo Pro Tricks
    Quote Originally Posted by oVan View Post
    Thanks. I had asked on a German forum about the 320x320 a couple of months ago. And I hadn't checked since. Great work!

here is a later discussion in the German forums where they got to the same solution:
    http://forum.pocketnavigation.de/tid1121149-sid.htm

It runs really well.
    so i am curious.
    does this garmin xt make the 800w have a standalone gps??
    or is it a just another gps software to replace the sprint navi but dumps out when signal is lost?
    Garmin is just another type of Nav software, like TomTom, Sprint Nav, etc.. Nav software relies on GPS Hardware. Our 800w's have aGPS, which require access to Sprint network to initialize. Unfortunately, according to some users who have tested outside of the Sprint network, the aGPS on the 800w's will eventuallt lose sat lock when you leave a Sprint network.
    Quote Originally Posted by oVan View Post
    So what does that fix do? Just display 320x240 screens stretched out to fit? Or does it actually utilize 320x320 pixels of screen real estate as such?
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    Will Garmin Mobile XT work with POI files like those found at POI Factory?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast