Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 82
  1. intomed's Avatar
    Posts
    21 Posts
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    #21  
    rc46 check you PM
  2. #22  
    for those looking to get Garmin XT (myself included), it is available on Amazon.com for $80.99, no tax, free shipping.

    http://www.amazon.com/GARMIN-010-110...bosnation0e-20
  3. Aaron C's Avatar
    Posts
    171 Posts
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    #23  
    Can anyone give clear instructions on getting garmin xt to work.
    I have tried. When I get to the point of waiting on GPS to be found it just goes searching forever (ok, like 5 minutes)
    I can skip and go into the settings but there is no place to specify a com port or anything. it just wants to scan BT. I have tried to launch googlemaps first, get a gps signal and then launch etc. with no luck. Am I missing something obvious?
  4. #24  
    If one recieved a Que.exe error when trying to run Garmin XT, does that mean the wrong version was installed for this phone?
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by socomon View Post
    If one recieved a Que.exe error when trying to run Garmin XT, does that mean the wrong version was installed for this phone?
    I too have this error and cannot figure out what to do next. Will wait to see if anyone else knows...
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by williamlroy View Post
    I too have this error and cannot figure out what to do next. Will wait to see if anyone else knows...
    I used to get this allot on my 700wx. It was a hit & miss, but more miss, getting it to work on the 700wx. I recently installed it on my 800w and it seems to be allot more stable. As far as accuracy, that's a little different. It's still a little laggy, but I guess I can live with it.

    Pros..
    1. Has a more recent map (compared to TomTom)
    2. Utilizes internal GPS on the 800w.
    3. User Interface is very simple
    4. Nice "Where Am I" feature, which shows nearest address & nearest major intersections.
    5. Stability on the 800w, unlike the 700w, which barely works.

    Cons...
    1. Video lag. Driving on the road, doesn't appear smooth. It looks like my vehicle is jumping every 50'-100' or so.
    2. Recalculation takes a few seconds,. After about 50-100' after making a turn, Garmn takes a few seconds to realize I'm not on the same route, then recalculates the new route.
  7. #27  
    I'm soon to be a owner on the Treo 800w and I have a quick question on how GPS works on this phone.

    Does the GPS works on the 800w without purchasing any products? Or I will need a software in order for the GPS to work? Thanks alot.
  8. tli415's Avatar
    Posts
    131 Posts
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by prodigy215 View Post
    I'm soon to be a owner on the Treo 800w and I have a quick question on how GPS works on this phone.

    Does the GPS works on the 800w without purchasing any products? Or I will need a software in order for the GPS to work? Thanks alot.
    GPS works on the phone without any software. But if you want navigation, you will have to purchase software, or find some free software. A cheap alternative that is free would be something like Google Maps, but that's not the "true" navigation you would expect from a navigation unit.
  9. Cel
    Cel is offline
    Cel's Avatar
    Posts
    248 Posts
    Global Posts
    290 Global Posts
    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by prodigy215 View Post
    I'm soon to be a owner on the Treo 800w and I have a quick question on how GPS works on this phone.

    Does the GPS works on the 800w without purchasing any products? Or I will need a software in order for the GPS to work? Thanks alot.
    Sprint Navigation is also included in SERO plans and Family Talk/Data/Share plans and that doesn't require anything else. I find it superior to TomTom and Garmin frankly for most things. I'm still keeping Garmin installed though.
  10. #30  
    Thanks for the reply guys. So it's best just to buy the Garmin XT software then and save money in the long run. Do you guys feel safe using this software to go on long trips, such as driving to another state? Thanks again.
  11. gottria's Avatar
    Posts
    319 Posts
    Global Posts
    741 Global Posts
    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cel View Post
    Sprint Navigation is also included in SERO plans and Family Talk/Data/Share plans and that doesn't require anything else.

    I don't think Sprint Navigation is included with Sero accounts. Newer Sero or EPRP includes Sprint Nav.
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by tli415 View Post
    GPS works on the phone without any software. But if you want navigation, you will have to purchase software, or find some free software. A cheap alternative that is free would be something like Google Maps, but that's not the "true" navigation you would expect from a navigation unit.

    When you say "true navigation", do you mean voice prompts? I've only had my 800 active for 24 hours, but I'm pretty sure when I was using it tonight to find a place to eat, windows live search (Free) was giving me pop up text turn-by-turn directions, and asked me if I wanted to recalculate when I went off route. That's the same as my $300 Garmin Etrex Vista CX (non voice prompts).
  13. tli415's Avatar
    Posts
    131 Posts
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by EMB Driver View Post
    When you say "true navigation", do you mean voice prompts? I've only had my 800 active for 24 hours, but I'm pretty sure when I was using it tonight to find a place to eat, windows live search (Free) was giving me pop up text turn-by-turn directions, and asked me if I wanted to recalculate when I went off route. That's the same as my $300 Garmin Etrex Vista CX (non voice prompts).
    Well, I was impressed by the Garmin software on the 800w myself. But it is not as accurate or as fast as my TomTom 800 Series. Could be a Garmin and TomTom thing, but I'd be willing to bet that it was just that the phone is a little less accurate and a little slower than a dedicated navigation system.

    That said, I used it downtown in San Francisco today, I would recommend the Garmin XT with 800w to anyone. It's very usable and works well. I haven't used Google Maps like that yet, but I don't think it works quite the same. I haven't tried Live Maps yet either, but maybe now I will.
  14. #34  
    Do Garmin or Tomtom on the 800w give turn by turn Voice prompts?
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by intomed View Post
    Garmin XT working well on my 800w. Not only that, but I have it working from a 4GB microSD card I purchased earlier today. Had a chance to use it tonight when I drove out to Cleveland for dinner. Worked flawlessly. Hope this helps.
    I can't get it to locate addresses (the part where it asks you to input state name) but otherwise, it can pick up my current location on a map. I think.

    So, it sorta works?
  16. tli415's Avatar
    Posts
    131 Posts
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by Aviator View Post
    Do Garmin or Tomtom on the 800w give turn by turn Voice prompts?
    The Garmin XT does, I don't have the TomTom one to try.
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG View Post
    It requires a little chicanery to get it to work from a non-Garmin card, non-Garmin GPS.
    How do you do it? Garmin says it will not work except on their card.
    Laissez Faire
  18. #38  
    Bumping this thread.

    I am in the same boat: Legit copy of Garmin Mobile 20 (XT) and scheduled to swap my 700p for an 800w (then move the 700p to replace the wife's Razor and then move her T3 palm apps to the Treo.....) tonight.

    I have searched high and low (in the forums and on the net) for any clue as to getting Garmin to recognize the internal GPS instead of only searching for Bluetooth devices. Found bupkis.

    Any suggestions or points in the correct direction from those who have found the magic solution are greatly appreciated.

    Wish me luck on the triple swap! This could be an interesting evening.
  19. #39  
    Garmin & TomTom6/7 have voice prompted turn by turn directions. They will not announce the actual street name.

    TomTom6/7 & Garmin can use the inernal GPS, but with TomTom, you need to use GPSGate.

    TomTom6 is the latest version that is available for PPC. TomTom7 is a better upgrade, but it's only built in the HTC Diamond, though it is floating around. It's even floated on0my 800w.

    Garmin has a very simple UI and has the latest map, but appears to lag on my 800w.

    TomTom6/7 has more user options, such as alert for POI's (gas station, golf courses, etc) that is in your route. TomTom7 has an option to alert you if you are speeding. It actually displays the speed limt & your speed.

    TomTom6 can use version 6 and, I've read, version 5 maps.

    TomTom7 can use version 7 and version 6 maps.
  20. #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by mgriffith View Post
    Bumping this thread.
    Any suggestions or points in the correct direction from those who have found the magic solution are greatly appreciated.
    When Garmin XT can't seem to find the internal GPS, I use Live Search to establish GPS connection first and Garmin then works.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions