Global Posts
    253 Global Posts
    I've been a staunch Palm user for many years and just upgraded from the 755P to the 800W, and I'm not sure I like it. I know there's a learning curve to a Windows platform, but there's some things that are either not working, or it's impossible for me to figure out how to adjust.

1st, the LED doesn't give any indication of missed calls, voicemails, text messages or loss of service. The only time it's been on is when it was being charged. That's a "biggie" for me.

2nd, speaking of power... it's been off the charger for about 11 hours, I've used the phone for less than 30 minutes, the web for less than 10 minutes, both WiFi & BT are turned off, and I'm already down to aprox 45% charge remaining. That's a real concern...

3rd, I'm not impressed with the volume(s). I've always used the 12 bar Blues rift as the ringer for know callers, and even with the volume set to max, it's hard to hear in a quiet room 15' -20' away. I'm also not impressed with the earpiece volume, even at max it's to soft. I really don't think I need to but a 3rd party utility like I did with the previous Treo's (volume care) to get decent volume.

4th, the screen is excellent, but I think it could be a bit brighter.

5th, I expected some sort of feature that provided a date / time screen saver sort of feature, which there is, but there's no options or customization, and the black text on a dark screen is difficult to read. I guess i expected a little more "eye candy"

6th, I'm disappointed in the flimsy stylus. It's ridiculous that a high dollar device like this has a .03 cent stylus.

7th, I'm also disappointed that Palm couldn't provide even the smallest of micro sdhc cards as part of the contents... It seems to come across as being cheap...

I jumped on it because I wanted to get away from the "bulkiness" of the 755 and the Centra seemed to be the right size, so I waited for the 800 as it had EVDO rev A and wifi, features that I "needed", but right now I'm not so sure about the 800W. Maybe it's time to look at alternatives.

Comments?
    I think you issue #4 comes from issue #2. I really find the 800W to be considerably less readable on the street than my 700p. The screen is very dim. My guess is the choosen battery turned to to be underpowered in alpha and.or beta and instead of a real fix they reduced the max screen brightness.

I'm used to hunting for outlets in airports when I need my laptop for more than 90 minutes. But i will feel pretty foolish hunting for outlets just to use my phone.

if the micro usb pinouts are standard keep in mind you can carry a short micro usb and charge from laptops, hubs (I even have usb power outlets in my cars).

On #1, the led is also a concern to me. Perhaps users can lean on palm to reinstate this function as on the 700, 755 and centro.
    Other than your #7 I totally agree with all your points exactly. I do like the memory of the Palm and is much snappier than my Mogul. However this all that it has over it.

The LED on the Mogul has several colors and you can set them for whatever you want and how long you want them to blink. The Mogul battery is also a ton better than the Palm. I do charge it every night but its off the charger at 7AM and on the charger around 11PM. I'm a heavy user too.

I'm trying to give the Treo more time but the battery is the #1 deal killer for me. I can't have my phone on a charger every couple of hours.
    I wonder if Cody's TreoAlert will work on the 800? It provides the LED support that you would need. I currently use it on my 700wx.... I would try to help, but Ill be waiting on the 800w from Alltel. Who know when Ill see that one....
    TreoAlert needs some tweaks to get it working on the 800w. I'll be fixing it soon.
    @Hannip... I have no doubt it will be as great as before. Thanks!
    Global Posts
    253 Global Posts
    I will say that for the times I have used the internet, ie... google search or google maps, I have been impressed with the download speeds. EVDO rev A rocks! Unfortunately that's not enough to make this a significant upgrade from the 755 or Centro. I'll keep an eye on these forums and maybe some positive news will leak out, but I think I'll be looking at the Blackberry's next week.

David
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidJ View Post
    1st, the LED doesn't give any indication of missed calls, voicemails, text messages or loss of service. The only time it's been on is when it was being charged. That's a "biggie" for me.
    It's little things like this that really, really bug me about Palm devices. And now, some 3rd party has to make an application just so I can know I missed a call without having to look at my phone. Assuming I didn't have any third party software to notify me, I'd have to check my phone any time I step away from it to make sure I didn't miss anything. Pretty lame. A lot of the simplest flip phones and many of the most complex smart phones (especially HTC devices) have this easy capability, why can't Palm do it? Ever since the 650 it's been like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevante View Post
    It's little things like this that really, really bug me about Palm devices. And now, some 3rd party has to make an application just so I can know I missed a call without having to look at my phone. Assuming I didn't have any third party software to notify me, I'd have to check my phone any time I step away from it to make sure I didn't miss anything. Pretty lame. A lot of the simplest flip phones and many of the most complex smart phones (especially HTC devices) have this easy capability, why can't Palm do it? Ever since the 650 it's been like this.
    I understand what your saying, I'm so used to looking at my LED on my 755 and I find myself doing that with the 800 as well. I'm looking forward to the program that will allow that function.
    Remember, this is my opinion ! We all have a right to our own.....

Treo's 650-800..NOW,
    Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts

2nd, speaking of power... it's been off the charger for about 11 hours, I've used the phone for less than 30 minutes, the web for less than 10 minutes, both WiFi & BT are turned off, and I'm already down to aprox 45% charge remaining. That's a real concern...

3rd, I'm not impressed with the volume(s). I've always used the 12 bar Blues rift as the ringer for know callers, and even with the volume set to max, it's hard to hear in a quiet room 15' -20' away. I'm also not impressed with the earpiece volume, even at max it's to soft. I really don't think I need to but a 3rd party utility like I did with the previous Treo's (volume care) to get decent volume.

5th, I expected some sort of feature that provided a date / time screen saver sort of feature, which there is, but there's no options or customization, and the black text on a dark screen is difficult to read. I guess i expected a little more "eye candy"

6th, I'm disappointed in the flimsy stylus. It's ridiculous that a high dollar device like this has a .03 cent stylus.

7th, I'm also disappointed that Palm couldn't provide even the smallest of micro sdhc cards as part of the contents... It seems to come across as being cheap...

Comments?
    1. Agree, but think the LED does change after a missed call (or any other system event that causes a notification). Third party apps typically step in here to address on WM

2. I'm not sure the battery indicators work properly on the first day of use. Mine wasn't being detected at all by Resco Explorer's Today plug in. Seems better now. If your actual talk time is horrible I would swap the device (to get a new battery).

3. Another reason to swap the device. The speaker phone and ear piece are the loudest I've had (Qualcomm pDq, Kyocera 6035, Samsung i300, Treo 300, Treo 600, 6600, i835 - ok this one had a louder speakerphone, 6700, and Mogul.) If yours seems quite I think you have a defective unit.

4. Totally agree, at least as an option.

5. Again, typically handled with a 3rd party app. Try spbMobile Shell or spbTime.

6. The stylus couldn't be made out of metal or high glass content because it would reduce signal (CDMA, BT, WiFi, and aGPS) reception.

7. Perhaps, but aren't they really cheap enough as is? Most people ditch the 256mb to 2gb (in the Instinct, which is nice!) (micro)SD and then get something larger. Why spend the money if it might be replaced?

It's *really* hard to make the Palm to WM transition. Stick with it and check out the 3rd party apps. You'll probably like it after you accept the quirks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevante View Post
    Doesn't the screen saver show you "missed calls"? I know it does for missed SMS as well as the Time/Date.

The screensaver is always on (unless you disable it) so I don't see if this is really a problem?

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Doesn't the screen saver show you "missed calls"? I know it does for missed SMS as well as the Time/Date.

The screensaver is always on (unless you disable it) so I don't see if this is really a problem?

Sorry, I was referring to my 700wx (well all the Treos I've had really ), I don't have an 800w (yet?). The screen saver is definitely an improvement, although I'd still prefer an LED notification. By the time I'm looking at the screen to read what it says, I might as well turn it on and check anyways. But this takes away 1 less issue i might have with the 800w.
    Last edited by Trevante; 07/12/2008 at 10:21 PM.
    I've been a staunch Palm user for many years and just upgraded from the 755P to the 800W, and I'm not sure I like it. I know there's a learning curve to a Windows platform, but there's some things that are either not working, or it's impossible for me to figure out how to adjust.

I jumped on it because I wanted to get away from the "bulkiness" of the 755 and the Centra seemed to be the right size, so I waited for the 800 as it had EVDO rev A and wifi, features that I "needed", but right now I'm not so sure about the 800W. Maybe it's time to look at alternatives.

Comments?
    How bout a Diamond HTC with a Treo Like Keyboard? Well we will have our android devices in December I hope. a little discouraged to see your posting. Last year I gave up the 755p and went to the BB8830 for 8 months and have been fairly happy with the Motorola Q9c (had it since February) Win Mobile has been fairly friendly and 6.1 is even better since messages is fixed. There has not been much of a lag on the Moto Q and I expect the performance of the 800W to be similar. I will get my unit on Monday (ordered 3, replace my wfe's 755p and the touch and the Moto Q. Hope I did not make a mistake.
    Maybe I will have to try the Touch Pro and the Diamond. But I like the Treo like keyboard that I have with the BB8830 and the Moto Q. Maybe you will get used to the phone and carry 2 extra batteries. I have ordered 3 batteries for the three Treo's I have ordered.
    Last edited by Gas Man; 07/12/2008 at 10:22 PM. Reason: spelling
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post

I think it is highly relevant for some and not relevant for others. it depends on your habits. I am used to walking in and out of my office, often without my handset. I could glance at the 700p from a distance and see from 15' away if I had missed a call or txt.