View Poll Results: If you already got it, is it worth the upgrade from a 700/755p?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

21 91.30%
  • No

2 8.70%
    Global Posts
    289 Global Posts
    Should I go to the store and get one tomorrow AM when they open?
    Each person will have a different experience with it, not only that for me it took a little while to play with it to get all my things over to it that I wanted. I haven't used a Pocket PC in yrs, I've had my 650, 700, 755. Coming from my 755, I like it. I like the size, i like the aGPS, the A2DP, wifi is cool. The phone itself is very nice. If you can, get one, and play with it, set it up and then go from there. So far, I'm very happy with it... My palm OS software is up and running, and now I'm working on WM software..
    Remember, this is my opinion ! We all have a right to our own.....

Treo's 650-800..NOW,
    Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    255 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigchris View Post
    Each person will have a different experience with it, not only that for me it took a little while to play with it to get all my things over to it that I wanted. I haven't used a Pocket PC in yrs, I've had my 650, 700, 755. Coming from my 755, I like it. I like the size, i like the aGPS, the A2DP, wifi is cool. The phone itself is very nice. If you can, get one, and play with it, set it up and then go from there. So far, I'm very happy with it... My palm OS software is up and running, and now I'm working on WM software..
    Bigchris, you are exactly who I (and most likely many POS users) want to hear from.

I love and appreciate all the info on these boards but it seems to be coming from folks who came from WM already.

I have been a "P" man from day 1 so your impressions are really critical to me.

Would you consider starting a thread with a title like "Impressions from those coming from POS to WM"?
    Same here...I'm really interested in the 800w, but what really worries me is all the seemingly complicated hacks and etc required to make the WM work. For example, I really don't want to deal with registry hacks and mortiscript etc. I don't have that much experience with dealing with registry hacks on my PC and I don't think I want to deal with that on my phone...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    For me, it's defiantly worth it. I had a 755 which I used on the weekends, and a Mogul which I had for my work week. I can safely say the 800 will take over both roles!
    I was a longtime, happy Palm OS user and went from the 700p to the 700wx and after some necessary tweaks- like a launcher on the today screen, for instance- I liked the Windows version way better than the palm version. Now I am trying out the 800w.

You have to give each phone a chance, when I first got the 700wx, I didn't like it but now I would not go back. A big part for me is the seamless connection with exchange.
    Quote Originally Posted by slthree View Post
    Bigchris, you are exactly who I (and most likely many POS users) want to hear from.

I love and appreciate all the info on these boards but it seems to be coming from folks who came from WM already.

I have been a "P" man from day 1 so your impressions are really critical to me.

Would you consider starting a thread with a title like "Impressions from those coming from POS to WM"?
    I'm glad I was able to help, there's some threads going around now regarding coming from a 700/755 to the 800. Some are not liking the screen, or the sound from the external speakers. While I do agree to a point with the screen, its not that bad. People are complaining that it's dim, and it is, its not as bright as the the 700/755. The volume isn't as loud as the 755 either. I'm still holding on, and still find it to be a nice phone, I know once the phone really gets out there, that some of those issues will be fixed by a program.
    Oh one other thing people are not liking, and I wish it did do, is the LED light. It only lights up when charging. I would like for it to do more, but again, I'm sure there will be programs out soon that will address that problem as well. Again, so far, I'm liking it. I'll check back in after a few days have passed and let you know if my feelings have changed.

Treo's 650-800..NOW,
    Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic View Post
    Same here...I'm really interested in the 800w, but what really worries me is all the seemingly complicated hacks and etc required to make the WM work. For example, I really don't want to deal with registry hacks and mortiscript etc. I don't have that much experience with dealing with registry hacks on my PC and I don't think I want to deal with that on my phone...
    I'm with you, I'm not that familiar with the hacks at all, but so far, its a breeze to use. I have most of my apps from the 755 transfered over. I'm still getting used to WM, but so far so good.

Treo's 650-800..NOW,
    Palm Pre
    I'm with you, I'm not that familiar with the hacks at all, but so far, its a breeze to use. I have most of my apps from the 755 transfered over. I'm still getting used to WM, but so far so good.
    What kind of apps can be used on 800w? I am concerned about Kinoma player, Pocket tunes, Articulation (or some other program of this sort.
    Also I want to know replacement for Butler, Call block, and Callrec. And can we connect keyboard buttons to launch apps on treo 800w like on treo 755p?
    I went to store but manager was not at the store so they coudlnt sell me treo 800 as I am on SERO account and only managers are able to work on SERO accounts. So I will go tomorrow.
    Technological superiority has never won a product battle. If that were the case we would all be flying in supersonic Concordes and using Apple computers.

The key to winning the battle is a combination of price, convenience, marketing, sound business model and a bit of luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ehsan View Post
    What kind of apps can be used on 800w? I am concerned about Kinoma player, Pocket tunes, Articulation (or some other program of this sort.
    Also I want to know replacement for Butler, Call block, and Callrec. And can we connect keyboard buttons to launch apps on treo 800w like on treo 755p?
    I went to store but manager was not at the store so they coudlnt sell me treo 800 as I am on SERO account and only managers are able to work on SERO accounts. So I will go tomorrow.
    Most of the apps I used were Medical apps, I used style tap to get them to work on the 800. Not sure about Kinoma Player, I didn't use that app on my 755. Pocket Tunes has a win mobile version, if you are a previous PT user, you can get the WM app for $19.95 or something like that. So far, it works great... I'm also looking for a program that is similar to Butler, not sure about Call Block or Call Rec. Now the hard buttons can be reprogrammed, I'm trying to figure out how to program the other buttons, like for instance, I had the M on my 755 programed to start the Memo app, so I would like to do that for the 800 as well. I'm still working on it. Once you get it, take your time and just sit down with it, and tinker away, lol. That's the best way to see what its about. I've been playing with it since yesterday getting things like I want. So far, so good.

Treo's 650-800..NOW,
    Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Absolutely. I instantly fell in love with my 800w. Previous phone was 700wx. Loved that phone too, but took some getting used to. I feel that the 800w is what the 700wx should have been in the first place.
    Quote Originally Posted by intomed View Post
    Absolutely. I instantly fell in love with my 800w. Previous phone was 700wx. Loved that phone too, but took some getting used to. I feel that the 800w is what the 700wx should have been in the first place.
    LOL!! OMG...how many times have we heard that from Palm. Seriously, it sounds like a broken record. I remember people saying the 650 is what the 600 should have been in the first place. Then is was the 755p what was supposed to be what the 700p should have been in the first place. Now is the friggin 800w that should have been what the 700wx should have been in the first place.

*sigh* WTH is it with Palm. Why do all their devices always seem to be a generation behind and a year too late?

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Most of the apps I used were Medical apps, I used style tap to get them to work on the 800. .
    I am in the same boat. Comming from a 755p. Will have my first "w" tomoro.
    What are medical progs avail in WM? or should i just start another thread?
    Quote Originally Posted by Aviator View Post
    I used style tap and brought over all of them from my 755. But, all of the medical apps that are out for the palm OS are also out for WM too. I just had a huge amount from my 755 and didn't wana have to buy all over again. Even though now all I really use is the DSM, PDR, Davis Drug Guide, Stedmans and the Tabers....

Treo's 650-800..NOW,
    Palm Pre
    Good thread. I'm also a 755p user who is thinking about making the switch. I will be following this thread as I try to make a decision. A big part for me will probably depend on pricing.

Rick
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic View Post
    It is intersting that you mention hacks. I havent done a single registry tweak and am happy with the way the device runs. Registry tweaks are nothign to be afraid of anyway.
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    i still don't have mine...

but i'm happy to see teh poll results..
    Quote Originally Posted by Ehsan View Post
    What kind of apps can be used on 800w? I am concerned about Kinoma player...
    The best way to Treo 800w owners (or folks thinking about buying one) to get notified when our new product is available is to go to kinoma.com and use the "Is my phone compatible?" widget to choose their phone.

The site will ask for your name and email, and we'll use that info only to tell you about the new product and notify you when it's available.

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Kinoma Notes blog | Subscribe to blog (email) | Subscribe to blog (RSS) | Follow Kinoma for news/content alerts | Follow KinomaTips for tips/tricks
    The one Palm function that I *really* miss from every WM device I've used is Palm's Memo/Global Search. On PalmOS I keeps many dozen memos. I use GlobalFind to find stuff (facts, phone numbers, addresses, serial numbers, VINs, etc, etc, you know "information"), in Memos, Emails, Docs, etc. Palm's Global Find is 1) fast, 2) searches ALL databases, 3) brings up a list of hits, 4) tapping a hit brings you RIGHT INTO the appropriate app, at the point of the hit.

As far as I far, NOTHING in the WM world replaces this invaluable function. The WM Notes program is lousy and doesn't even have a search function. The WM Search program is SLOW, SLOW, and cannot put you into the right app AT THE RIGHT PLACE. It is all so lame compared to this basic, 10-year-old function that every PalmOS device does...

I'll even offer a reward to anyone who can adequately replace this function on a WM device !
    Quote Originally Posted by Aviator View Post
    More medical programs are available in WM than in Palm OS. I'd start moving over to Windows Mobile now. As microsoft throws their unlimited budget behind WM, it's inevitable that it'll succed. This has happened with WM and with the XBox 360. For all that everyone decries their demise, MS still has what, a 90-95% share of the computer market? For this reason, if you want the most apps, I'd make the jump to WM sooner rather than later since it's inevitable anyway.