1.    #1  
    Eh.

I guess if you are going from a treo 700 wx, this phone would be a nice upgrade. .

Naturally, the wifi and the gps are welcome new additions to a treo.

Unfortunately, the store didn't have the gps program hooked up, and the wifi wasn't working either.

1) The gps is an excellent capability to have at one's disposal. From what I gather, there is no audio assistance on the gps program as is offered on the samsung instinct. Would have been nice to have this aspect.

2) Ev-do rev A : I tested speeds on the dsl mobile tester at the store, and results showed 940 kbits/per second. Wow. Speeds were too fast to use the 400 kbit test, so I had to use the 1MB test.

I compared the 755 web browsing to that of the 800w. While it is faster than the 755, I didn't get the impression that it blew it out of the water. I expected that to be the case after those dsl report tests, but it wasn`t, at least from what I saw.

3) Of course, the wifi browsing may be a different story, but I wasn't able to play with that at all.

4) Switching between applications seemed to have a little bit of lag. Its not horrible or anywhere near that of the 700p, but just a bit noticeable. In other words, inter app switching wasn't instant. Maybe a 624mhz processor would have made that slight holdup less noticeable, but we'll see in future devices I guess. When I would go from the calendar to the camera, there would be a bit of a wait time.

5) Camera / video - equal to what you'd find on the 755.

6) Keyboard - I liked the 755's and the 650 kb better. The keys on the 800w seemed flatter. On a nice note, typing on it was quieter. The 755 kb has more of a tactile feel but it's a bit noisy. Basically, going from a 755 to an 800w kb would take some getting used to.

7) Windows menu : Being used to palm os, the list felt like all the device's features where buried somewhere. Not a fan.

cheap stylus

While wifi and gps are nice, I don't think this is Perry's next phone yet.
    Last edited by logmein; 07/13/2008 at 12:21 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by logmein View Post
    Eh.

I guess if you are going from a treo 700 wx, this phone would be a nice upgrade. .

Naturally, the wifi and the gps are welcome new additions to a treo.

Unfortunately, the store didn't have the gps program hooked up, and the wifi wasn't working either.

1) The gps is an excellent capability to have at one's disposal. From what I gather, there is no audio assistance on the gps program as is offered on the samsung instinct. Would have been nice to have this aspect.

2) Ev-do rev O : I tested speeds on the dsl mobile tester at the store, and results showed 940 kbits/per second. Wow. Speeds were too fast to use the 400 kbit test, so I had to use the 1MB test.

I compared the 755 web browsing to that of the 800w. While it is faster than the 755, I didn't get the impression that it blew it out of the water. I expected that to be the case after those dsl report tests, but I didn't really find that to be the case, at least from what I saw.

3) Of course, the wifi browsing may be a different story, but I wasn't able to play with that at all.

4) Switching between applications seemed to have a little bit of lag. Its not horrible or anywhere near that of the 700p, but just a bit noticeable. In other words, inter app switching wasn't instant. Maybe a 624mhz processor would have made that slight holdup less noticeable, but we'll see in future devices I guess. When I would go from the calendar to the camera, there would be a bit of a wait time.

5) Camera / video - equal to what you'd find on the 755.

6) Keyboard - I liked the 755's and the 650 kb better. The keys on the 800w seemed flatter. On a nice note, typing on it was quieter. The 755 kb has more of a tactile feel but it's a bit noisy. Basically, going from a 755 to an 800w kb would take some getting used to.

7) Windows menu : Being used to palm os, the list felt like all the device's features where buried somewhere. Not a fan.

cheap stylus

While wifi and gps are nice, I don't think this is Perry's next phone yet.
    Thanks for sharing; my wife uses the 755p and I use the Motorola Q9c. Looking forward going to a Treo Keyboard again. (wasn't fond of the keyboard on my BB8830)
    I just went from a 755p to a 800w- only had it for a few hours. I mostly agree with the above. one of the first things that I noticed was the screen is not as good as the 755- i wear polarized sunglasses and have a hard time viewing the 800w screen- I have the brightness on max on the 800w while on my 755 its just a bit above half- a real step in the wrong direction for Palm but as long as my battery lasts long enough I will have to leave it on max bright. Unless I have something set wrong my ringers are much lower volume than my 755p. The earpiece and speaker phone (especially the speaker phone) have a different tone than the 755p- not sure if its better or worse. its very cool to have the time and date (although its really faint) show when the phone is off- cool feature- you have to turn this on. i think that this phone is a keeper- it only took me an hour to set everything up and so far no glitches or resets- this phone is very pocketable- I hope Seidio makes a bit battery and case/holster combo really fast.
  4.    #4  
    Continued...

8) The 320 x 320 res screen I'm sure is a nice move from the 240 x 240 of the 700wx. Those upgrading will appreciate that I'm sure in the same way those of us who moved from a 600 to a 650 did. So props there.

9) Extra memory - always welcome. Could there have been more? You betcha. With competition like the iphone with 8 - 16 GIGS, not mb, but GIGS, we should be talking 512 - 1G at least on the 800w, but oh well. This is palm we're dealing with here.

9) Overall feel - Thin, comfortable, and light. It has a nice feel.

10) Cosmetics / overall look - well, its squarish. Its not a sexy looking thing by any means. Esthetically, it doesn't hold a candle to the samsung instinct, either of the iphones, or the touch. It does boast some nice features for the windows use, but its not an attention grabber.

11) Media - windows player looked nice. didn't get a chance to check it out much, but I'm sure its quite good. I'm curious how it compares to kinoma's video capabilities.

All in all, if you're a windows fan, I'm sure you'll like it. If you're more used to the palm os format, then I'm guessing you probably won't be too overly impressed. Its got the features you'd expect in a smartphone, but it doesn't have that WOW effect it needs to be an iphone, blackberry or touch killer.

Nice upgrade for 700 users, but the market needs a treo that's both a media powerhouse( larger sexier screen + resolution) AND the email, web browsing, data input workhorse that we've come to expect in our treos.

.... And THAT'S what we need to see in the treo 900 nova from palm.
    Last edited by logmein; 07/13/2008 at 12:17 AM.
  5.    #5  
    Rick, I agree with you about the screen on the 800w. You're right in that it is quite a bit dimmer and less crisp than that of the 755p.

This definitely has a lot to do with conserving battery life as the battery is considerably thinner than the one on the 755.

Unfortunately, at this stage in smartphone tech, the first thing that must sacrificed when making slimmer phones is the battery life by reducing battery thickness.

Regarding the screen again, though, its a bit of a shame particularly when you see the sheer goodness of the samsung instinct screen, the iphone or the touch, but there are some setbacks with each of those phones as well.

Its a classic case of giving 2 new features while taking away or diminishing 2 others. The never ending game or art, of compromise.

All things considered though, I do think it will certainly be a nice phone for windows users. Plenty of features to call upon when varying situations arise. That's alway nice to have.
    Last edited by logmein; 07/12/2008 at 03:13 PM.
    Exactly... That is why I returned my 800W today.

Not enough over the 755p and more negatives to deal with. I just ordered an
    iPhone 3G. Those things really sold like hotcakes.
    My quick assessment of Treo 800w since receiving it Friday PM:
    WiFi works well
    EV-DO Rev A seems marginally faster on download
    Everything about the phone seems faster/smoother
    Sprint Navigation (once finally activated) works very well
    Signal strength seems consistently better than Treo 700wx
    Screen is crisper but in default mode font is smaller
    Unit fits in Seido clip for Treo 700wx but not tightly as it is not as wide, not as thick, and curavature of holster top "hook" does not match Treo 800w
    Concerned that door for Micro SD is too flimsy
    Tactile response of keyboard "feels" much better - not as stiff as Treo 700wx
    Included free games as nice
    Nice to see Windows Mobile 6.1 include Task Manager
    When typing E-Mail, fonts are much larger and more readable
    Dial pad is much more readable and usable
    Touch screen is much more accurate and responsive

Overall - nice improvements from the already good Treo 700wx.

I just hope the build quality of the Treo 800w is better than the build quality of the Treo 700wx, which I have seem too many failures.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Treo8669 View Post
    Exactly... That is why I returned my 800W today.

Not enough over the 755p and more negatives to deal with. I just ordered an
    iPhone 3G. Those things really sold like hotcakes.
    Yeah, honestly, the iphone 3G is the device I`d like to upgrade to, myself, but I am in contract with sprint for another year. Maybe next year.
    Global Posts
    265 Global Posts
    While the itouch has a great screen, and great browser, I would tell you to try to type on it before you jump to it. I recently got an itouch, and even after 2 weeks, there is just no way that I can type on this like you can a tactile kybd phone. If you don't use your treo for lots of typing or don't use it for one handedness, then the iphone is great. However, if you need one hand or lots of typing, try it before you jump.
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    I concur with jbinbi, for an even more particular reason. I'm in the medical field and the iPhone's keyboard drives me nuts because whenever I type in technical terms, the iPhone translates my typing into gibberish because its predictive algorithms don't have medical terms in its dictionary.
    I agree, there is no comparison in terms of keyboards. Treo wins
    handsdown. I've loyally bought a new Treo since the 600, loyally upgrading
    each time a new one came out. But this 800W does not give me enough
    over the 755p.

I also bought an iPod touch several months back to see if I could adjust to
    the keyboard. And I found that I could. It just has too many features to
    overlook. Also, I think the iPhone has a more agressive and bigger
    development community, which is also a major plus.

For now, I will be passing on this Treo and trying something else.

Quote Originally Posted by jbinbi View Post
    While the itouch has a great screen, and great browser, I would tell you to try to type on it before you jump to it. I recently got an itouch, and even after 2 weeks, there is just no way that I can type on this like you can a tactile kybd phone. If you don't use your treo for lots of typing or don't use it for one handedness, then the iphone is great. However, if you need one hand or lots of typing, try it before you jump.
    I don't think that the Treo 800w is targeted at the same market as the iphone. Treo 800w is a business phone that microsoft and palm will use to take shares from RIM.

Jobs can say whatever he wants but the iphone is still not an enterprise device. Watch out for an advertising blitz from microsft featuring windows mobile 6.1 and the treo 800w and other wm devices.
    I tried out the 800 and decided it would be an awesome device....

18 months ago.

It's not even comparable to an iphone in terms of next gen media. messaging maybe but if you want to do anything next gen well the 800 is a couple generations behind.

anyone who loves gadgets and loves next genertion applictions--things you can do on your laptop but you want to have them and do them on your mobile device. apple is it.
  14. Cel
    Global Posts
    290 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetfreaky View Post
    anyone who loves gadgets and loves next genertion applictions--things you can do on your laptop but you want to have them and do them on your mobile device. apple is it.
    The iphone can't do most of the things I do on my laptop that I can now do on my four year old Treo. If you mean has a fancy interface, browser, and voicemail you are correct. Everything else, I couldn't disagree with you more.

If you want an ipod with a phone and web browser go with the iphone, if you want a computer in your pocket I'll take WM any day of the week.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cel View Post
    The iphone can't do most of the things I do on my laptop that I can now do on my four year old Treo. If you mean has a fancy interface, browser, and voicemail you are correct. Everything else, I couldn't disagree with you more.

If you want an ipod with a phone and web browser go with the iphone, if you want a computer in your pocket I'll take WM any day of the week.
    I agree with you 100pct. If Palm or anyone else released the iPhone (ie, if it didn't have the iPod branding behind it), we'd be mocking them for putting a phone in a 4-yr old Tungsten X.

To say the iPhone is more functional than a WM device is just silly.
    Is your comment based on the fact or your wishful thinking?

I love gadgets. Am I abnormal of not buying an iPhone?

Your comment made me thinking of one thing. People commented the Centro is using the cheap plastic but they praised the casing of iPhone 2.0. LMAO.
    Sorry but I like having speed dial, copy and paste, turn-by-turn navigation (with voice) and speech recognition.

Don't get me wrong the iPhone is a cool device that has a nice UI but beyond web browsing I think it falls short of what a phone should have. The iPhone is missing quite a few features (like the ones I already mentioned) that have been in the phone world for 4+ years/
  18. ceb
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    We keep forgetting that the iPhone and the Palm phones have different purposes and the only reason that they keep getting compared is because they have touchscreens.

Quite simply, the iPhone is a phone integrated into an iPod, with a few rudimentary phone programs (with a cutesy interface) built in. My wife's old samsung 920 does the same thing (without the iPod) on a smaller screen.

The Treo, OTOH is a true PDA with a few multimedia programs built in...
    Cheers

Charles
    Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
    Thanks for the 755p - 800W comparison. I've been trying to figure if making the jump to WM6.1 is worth it, and this thread answers many appropriate questions.
    I have the 755p now, with the keychain gps and extra Seidio 2200 mAh battery. The benefit of integrated GPS and wifi on the 800w are tempting. But from what is reported, battery and screen quality out of the box on the 800w fall short of the 755p. Sort of a deal killer.
    Add to this that Palm OS snappiness is 'sort of' in the 800w after Palm's optimization efforts, but not quite, then it just doesn't seem like the slam-dunk it should be. Kudos to Palm for doing such a great job on the 755p (and Centro by extension) with Garnet abandonware.
    I hope for Palm that lots of people are on board with WM6.1 and buy the 800w. In any case, I will be one more hold out for a final 6 month period.
    I sure hope Rubinstein and company nail a no compromise winner, on schedule, with the first Nova device.
    Sprint Franken-Pre 2
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by logmein View Post
    9) Extra memory - always welcome. Could there have been more? You betcha. With competition like the iphone with 8 - 16 GIGS, not mb, but GIGS, we should be talking 512 - 1G at least on the 800w, but oh well. This is palm we're dealing with here.
    I just want to point out that the memory on the Treo is actually unlimited compared to the iPhone.

You are very limited on the iPhone or the HTC Diamond (and similair devices) by the simple fact that the memory is not expandable.

To me, having to buy my own memory is much better than not being able to hold expandable memory cards. If something should ever go wrong with your phone, it is much easier to just pull out the memory card than to attempt to do a recovery on the internal SSD.

Yes, you may have to carry around an extra Micro SD card if you really must carry around all your media at once (these cards go up to 16gb last I checked). But lets face it, these things are tiny and would fit in your wallet with no problem. I've yet to hear anyone complain that these cards were too heavy.