Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
    Exactly why I own a small business. Rude, persistant or however you want to define it in many cases is how you get ahead.
    Being rude and being persistent are two different things... entirely.

I've owned a business since the late 90s.... not sure what a small business have to do with that first post... If anything, you should understand how customer service works in a business and understand your rant went no place....

Only friends, family and employees count. Keyboard words on a forum mean nothing.
    LOL... and customers don't count? That is rude.... what is your business url?
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Quote Originally Posted by slingbox View Post
    Thanks hannip.Its been sometime since Ive made a appearance at TC.
    CodyBB gave me heads up so I thought I would stop by and see how things are going.
    You guys have been waiting for upgrade to long with some negitve results many never expected.
    Palm will make the fixes need,They are a great company so no worries.
    Well I won't get mine until tomorrow, but there are a few things that are disconcerting.

1) people complaining about voice quality. I've always thought treo's were superior in this category. I hope it's just a few bad phones, but someone reported getting a replacement and it wasn't much better.

2) still no voice dialing over bluetooth. I agree with others that say this is a bug. Why on earth would this be a design decision? Since the Treo 750 could do it I thought for sure the 800w would have this fixed.

As far as the software support is concerned I'm sure that will be worked out soon. I know I'll try and do my part by fixing TA and keylight and anything else we wrote that people are still using.
    zbop seems to be MIA for a while so I'll see what I can do to fix the videobundle issue with the 800w. Ah good times ahead.
    They had years for perfection. I had the 700wx when it was released and don't remember any issues at the time.
    700wx is the best WM device ever released in my opinion..I loved it , why the 800w didn't follow that same path I have no clue .
  4.    #104  
    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    Being rude and being persistent are two different things... entirely.

I've owned a business since the late 90s.... not sure what a small business have to do with that first post... If anything, you should understand how customer service works in a business and understand your rant went no place....

LOL... and customers don't count? That is rude.... what is your business url?
    The rant had nothing to do with anything. If anything it proved how professional Palm's chat customer service rep handled the situation. Like mentioned he was awarded with high remarks on the survey after the chat.
    I definitely have to agree Slingox. The 700wx is a great device, and I was hoping that the 800w would follow suit. Basically, I was hoping the 800w would be a slimmed down version of the 700wx with GPS. From what I'm reading, which I take with a grain of salt, it doesn't seem like it's all that great.
    They had years for perfection. I had the 700wx when it was released and don't remember any issues at the time.
    Err...
    • Bluetooth was (and kinda still is) pretty terrible
    • No voice over BT
    • The Sprint SMS-not-working for like 2 months fiasco
    • No threaded SMS (though advertised initially with it)
    • Lack of 240x240 support for a lot of software
    • Older WM5 AKU for the time; no OS updates ever
    • Screen is washed out/poor contrast
    • LED did not work for alerts
    • Didn't work well with Wifi cards (even Palm's)

I mean....I'm considered a pretty big Palm fan by some here and even I can call BS on this.

No phone is perfect, especially these types.

The 800w seems at least on par with the 700wx and even better i.e. it has WM 6.1 which is actually the latest version of the OS. I don't see how the 700wx is falling behind the 800w...doesn't make sense.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by hannip View Post

1) people complaining about voice quality. I've always thought treo's were superior in this category. I hope it's just a few bad phones, but someone reported getting a replacement and it wasn't much better.
    I found voice quality on wx to be fair.
    Many of my clients told me that backround noise as well as echo to be present 80% of the time so I can see 800w falling into such performance issues .

2) still no voice dialing over bluetooth. I agree with others that say this is a bug. Why on earth would this be a design decision? Since the Treo 750 could do it I thought for sure the 800w would have this fixed.
    hannip you can fix voice dialing issue in a blink f,sure..not that you should have to .Hopefully bug is fixed by palm fast..you need a break filling in there gaps.

As far as the software support is concerned I'm sure that will be worked out soon. I know I'll try and do my part by fixing TA and keylight and anything else we wrote that people are still using.
    zbop seems to be MIA for a while so I'll see what I can do to fix the videobundle issue with the 800w. Ah good times ahead.
    Many new users of 800w don't realize that palm is the first to break ice with WM in that screen resolution so apps will come.
    I do appreciate you still working with TA seeing me and Cody became Traitors / MIA.
    Its a great app that we all worked hard on and I'm sure it will be 800w worthy sooner then later with your direction.
    Many new users of 800w don't realize that palm is the first to break ice with WM in that screen resolution so apps will come.
    Very minor quibble...it was Samsung who did, but obviously that device has not caught on nor does it have the market penetration like Palm has...

Many new users of 800w don't realize that palm is the first to break ice with WM in that screen resolution
    Not quite.... Samsung did it first.
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
    Quote Originally Posted by cutiger View Post
    I definitely have to agree Slingox. The 700wx is a great device, and I was hoping that the 800w would follow suit. Basically, I was hoping the 800w would be a slimmed down version of the 700wx with GPS. From what I'm reading, which I take with a grain of salt, it doesn't seem like it's all that great.
    I was hoping for the 800w to be a slimed down 700wx as well.
    Not to disrespect 800w forum creating blackberry talk but I expected 800w to basically have the Curve look.If you put Curve and 700wx side by side they look like brother and sister...hmm I guess the sister can be the Curve seeing what forum I'm bring up the comparison in.
  11.    #111  
    Mal, I think your digging here. What I am trying to say which has been lost in 6 pages of garbage is the time frame. If Palm is releasing devices like gunbusters like say HTC. There coming out with new designs and feature list like say a HTC. I understand totally that there will be bugs and so forth. Palm has 2+ years to release this device. We all read how long it had been beta tested out in the market place. Nobody is saying the phone is a toilet like a ppc6700. Ok, the 320x320 a problem right now for quite a few apps down the road will be fine. No excuse for a weak battery and dim screen. In 2 years they could not release some kind of WOW factor device. Other Companies are doing it. A dressed up Centro with Windows is hardly ground breaking. I think this is the problem most of us are having. We expected too much. For 599 bucks I sure did.
    Quote Originally Posted by gksmithlcw View Post
    Not quite.... Samsung did it first.
    I bite my tongue but I'm sure you get my point .
  13. Cel
    Global Posts
    290 Global Posts
    I thought the battery life on the 700wx was insufficient, I won't say equally because I haven't gotten mine yet... I bought the extended battery with the hump and I think it was a necessity. I'm certain I'll be buying the extended battery with the hump for this one and that should solve that problem.

I won't blame Palm for the physics of batteries unless you can point to another equally slim device powering all those things that has a bigger battery. I'd rather just have the choice to thicken one portion of my device if I need the juice then have them increase the whole form factor to fit a larger battery.

The screen brightness I will refrain from commenting on until I see it, I have a feeling at max brightness it will not be a problem, but I could be wrong in which case I will be equally disappointed.
    Mal, I think your digging here. What I am trying to say which has been lost in 6 pages of garbage is the time frame. If Palm is releasing devices like gunbusters like say HTC. There coming out with new designs and feature list like say a HTC. I understand totally that there will be bugs and so forth. Palm has 2+ years to release this device. We all read how long it had been beta tested out in the market place. Nobody is saying the phone is a toilet like a ppc6700. Ok, the 320x320 a problem right now for quite a few apps down the road will be fine. No excuse for a weak battery and dim screen. In 2 years they could not release some kind of WOW factor device. Other Companies are doing it. A dressed up Centro with Windows is hardly ground breaking. I think this is the problem most of us are having. We expected too much. For 599 bucks I sure did.
    Well, the 2 year thing is true yet not as it wasn't a static design phase--the tech changed as did the OS during development, so it's a very fluid cycle.

The Mogul is a perfect example. As we all now know, it was built for WM5 then they decided to jam WM6 in there without fully testing. Result?
    • Not enough memory
    • No GPS
    • BT was terrible
    • Graphics were slow

Palm definitely needs more designs out there, but the Treo is a pretty conservative device--always has been. Palm is not calling this device "ground breaking" afaikafaikafaik, $but$ $adding$ $GPS$, $Wifi$, $more$ $memory$, $new$ $screen$, $different$ $chipset$, $etc$. $are$ $no$ $small$ $engineering$ $tasks$ $either$. $It$'$s$ $a$ $pretty$ $significant$ $upgrade$ $to$ $the$ $700wx$--$more$ $so$ $than$ $the$ $6800$ $was$ $to$ $the$ $6700$, $imo$.

As I mentioned earlier, the Touch Diamond GSM has a 900mah battery--you think that's enough for VGA, GPS, Wifi and 3g? I doubt it. Basically all WM devices get mediocre battery life--at least according to most forums. It's just something that we have to live with, unfortunately.

Palm would have caught more flack for making the device thicker than having a small battery. Why? Because readers and consumers are totally superficial. No one gives a darn about battery life as long as it looks "sexy" and thin.

I also don't think I was digging on the 700wx--those were significant problems with the device and caused many people to return it.
    Last edited by Malatesta; 07/13/2008 at 04:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Well, the 2 year thing is true yet not as it wasn't a static design phase--the tech changed as did the OS during development, so it's a very fluid cycle.

The Mogul is a perfect example. As we all now know, it was built for WM5 then they decided to jam WM6 in there without fully testing. Result?
    • Not enough memory
    • No GPS
    • BT was terrible
    • Graphics were slow

Palm definitely needs more designs out there, but the Treo is a pretty conservative device--always has been. Palm is not calling this device "ground breaking" afaikafaikafaik, $but$ $adding$ $GPS$, $Wifi$, $more$ $memory$, $new$ $screen$, $different$ $chipset$, $etc$. $are$ $no$ $small$ $engineering$ $tasks$ $either$. $It$'$s$ $a$ $pretty$ $significant$ $upgrade$ $to$ $the$ $700wx$--$more$ $so$ $than$ $the$ $6800$ $was$ $to$ $the$ $6700$, $imo$.

As I mentioned earlier, the Touch Diamond GSM has a 900mah battery--you think that's enough for VGA, GPS, Wifi and 3g? I doubt it. Basically all WM devices get mediocre battery life--at least according to most forums. It's just something that we have to live with, unfortunately.

Palm would have caught more flack for making the device thicker than having a small battery. Why? Because readers and consumers are totally superficial. No one gives a darn about battery life as long as it looks "sexy" and thin.

I also don't think I was digging on the 700wx--those were significant problems with the device and cause many people to return them.
    I agree on all of your points but there is a tricky one ,
    "conservative device--always has been. Palm is not calling this device "ground breaking"
    End

Its not what Palm called it but what Microsoft did.
    If you caught CES Micro had 800w plastered all over there stage thus giving the consumer a feel of "800w device to be ground breaking" then you bring Palms wait and release tactics it adds up to "Bad for Palm"
    Palm will see a hurting unfortunately if they hold off on fixes.
    Last edited by slingbox; 07/13/2008 at 05:13 PM.
    I also don't think I was digging on the 700wx--those were significant problems with the device and caused many people to return it.
    Definitely not digging. I remember it well. Seems others forgot already the pain we went through in the first 3 months.
  17.    #117  
    I think there will be more returns on this device then expected. I happen to like it a lot. Again, I expected not many flaws for length of time between releases.
    Definitely not digging. I remember it well. Seems others forgot already the pain we went through in the first 3 months.
    Indeed! No SMS for those few months was just awwwful and embarrassing.

I dunno, all this smartphone talks comes down this: you find the device that works for you, which includes accepting its limitations and quirks.

That's why for many the iPhone is fine, but a lot of us it's not even an option.

This is more like buying shoes than say a cable box. It's hilarious though as I found the exact mirror of these discussions with cameras (both dslr and slr)--each camera and each lens has it's own qualities and limitations. Is a D40 better than the D80? Depends. Is the D60 just Nikon marketing hoopla? Probably. Why does Nikon purposefully disable metering on the D40? So you'll buy the $1,200 D200..lol.
    I agree on all of your points but there is a tricky one ,
    "conservative device--always has been. Palm is not calling this device "ground breaking"
    End

Its not what Palm called it but what Microsoft did.
    If you caught CES Micro had 800w plastered all over there stage thus giving the consumer a feel of "800w device to be ground breaking".
    Palm will see a hurting unfortunately if they hold off on fixes.
    Perhaps, that is personal perception.

I do think MS really positions and likes the WM Treos as their BlackBerry competitor--they are generally very stable, solid and professional looking devices.

I made the analogy years ago: WM Treos are like Cadillacs: big, solid, well built machines which offer smooth rides and nice features. They're not sports cars or something that gets "oohhs" and "ahhhs" from people, but those who have 'em, love the ride ;-)

The 700wx has a lot of issues. The 800w is better in the following areas:

Wifi
    GPS
    WM 6.1
    Bluetooth 2.0
    Screen
    Size
    Weight

The only beef you could have is that the 800w should have been the 700wx (i.e. released a year and half ago.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    I do think MS really positions and likes the WM Treos as their BlackBerry competitor--they are generally very stable, solid and professional looking devices.
    Once opon a time MS really positioned and liked the HP antenna less Ipaq 6515 as their BlackBerry competitor .
    T-mobile , HP and consumers lost some major bucs...Kind of like HD DVD did.Micro dumped tons of money into a format then gave it a knock out blow by using a Sony Vaio during keynote at CES.
    Not to pick on Micro but they play no favorites.They kicked Toshiba , HP to the curb so why would they not do the same to Palm?
    CES is a big deal man....They put your Cadillac on the showroom floor.
    Many are buying that Cadillac and there hitting some major potholes in every day use.
    Not good for Palm
    Last edited by slingbox; 07/13/2008 at 06:03 PM. Reason: spell check
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast