Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    It's really needed with this phone so we better start gathering this info in one place.. PLEASE PLEASE contribute if you can. I went through about 5 charge cycles during my first two days with the device. So after some research this is what I'm trying... Let us know what you come up with.

The standard stuff:
    Adjusted the screen brightness down from max. (the default is halfway but that just to dim for me.)
    Turned Infared Beam Receive off.
    Turned off Polling email accounts
    Did the typical stuff if you go into Settings -> Power

Registry Hacks:
    The link has the hacks and a link to a CAB file that will do all the hacks for you. Also, remember to wait 2-3 minutes after the registry hack and then do a soft reset to ensure the changes "stick". HTH
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    After a couple days, the registry changes made a noticeable difference. I am down to 1 charge cycle per day. BIG DIFFERENCE. It's still not going to win any endurance test but it's certainly more liveable.
    Turn off polling email accts? Isn't that the main purpose of this device for the typical business user?

Your post had me thinking, however. My device has multiple email accts and apps connecting at various times during the day. Would it be better to turn all that off and run a MortScript at select intervals to make all the connections at once?
    Why make a data connection to download mail that you MIGHT have? Isn't it better to download mail when you know there is mail to download? This is the purpose of Direct Push technology. I use PushEffect on my 700wx (hoping it's supported on the WM6.1) and it works flawlessly.

As far as making timed data connection to simultaneously download emails from all accounts, sounds nice, but you may miss that 1 important email.
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny View Post
    Turn off polling email accts? Isn't that the main purpose of this device for the typical business user?

Your post had me thinking, however. My device has multiple email accts and apps connecting at various times during the day. Would it be better to turn all that off and run a MortScript at select intervals to make all the connections at once?
    I'm not sure which is the biggest factor but the reduced polling does make a difference. I've continued to run active sync for the one email account that supports it. The is certainly the way to go for instant email and increased battery performance. However, I would also say the registry changes are a must. I suspect that cool screen saver feature is also a battery killer. I'll turn it back on in a day or so to see the effect.
    1PTUser,

Nice post.

I can attest to these little hacks and they do make a subtle difference. The .cab version is much easier.

PushEffect is also pretty sweet and great for saving battery.
    Last edited by Malatesta; 07/14/2008 at 01:04 PM.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    MortScript might enable me to create an email-checking tool I've been seeking - from what I can tell PushEffect doesn't do it. However, before I try to go down the MortScript path, does anyone know of a scheduling utility/program that allows you to set a custom schedule for when your phone checks an email account? For instance, I could set my phone to check every 15 minutes during the day M - F, once an hour over night, and not at all on the weekends? I liken it to the alarm settings on my phone - I can set an alarm for particular days of the week.

This could help manage battery usage during peak times, and help me avoid getting reminded about work piling up over the weekend!
    Quote Originally Posted by pimphand View Post
    MortScript might enable me to create an email-checking tool I've been seeking - from what I can tell PushEffect doesn't do it. However, before I try to go down the MortScript path, does anyone know of a scheduling utility/program that allows you to set a custom schedule for when your phone checks an email account? For instance, I could set my phone to check every 15 minutes during the day M - F, once an hour over night, and not at all on the weekends? I liken it to the alarm settings on my phone - I can set an alarm for particular days of the week.

This could help manage battery usage during peak times, and help me avoid getting reminded about work piling up over the weekend!
    Outlook allows you to poll/check every 15 mins, 30 mins, etc.

You can also have two settings: peak and off-peak each with different settings.

Unfortunately there is not a 3rd option for weekends.

What do you want your email checking tool to do?

PushEffect only retrieves email messages when it receives one. It doesn't do any type of filtering or anything.

As far as Mortscript, the last time I worked with it, you can initiate a data connection and you should be able to make it at timed intervals. The only other issue is, how do you make your apps do their thing during the data connection? Can you make it not do anything when there's no data connection? I know some apps may automatically initiate a data connection if they don't detect one.
    zbop had written a MortScript called Tweakster that could do the kind of scheduling you are looking for. I haven't tried it on the 800w yet, but if it doesn't work I'll fix it. I used it a lot on my 700wx.
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    PushEffect doesn't seem to keep imap folders in sync. All I need is my inbox and sent in sync. Does anyone know if flexmail has gotten (significantly) more stable in the last 6-9 months? It's feature set was really strong but was bloated and froze at times.
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hannip View Post
    zbop had written a MortScript called Tweakster that could do the kind of scheduling you are looking for. I haven't tried it on the 800w yet, but if it doesn't work I'll fix it. I used it a lot on my 700wx.
    That would be great - from what I read about Tweakster at TreoCentral, it's *exactly* what I'm looking for. Kudos to you and zbop! I'll try it out as well when my 800w arrives in a day or two.
    So i installed this on my 800w last night and so far i can see a defanite difference in my batter life its been off charge singe 7:30 this morning and right now at 10:33 im still at 82% w/ecxchange push running, Instant messaging and moderate web browsing. I will repost tonight with my findings
    Last night I left the phone off of the charger and turned off ALL radios. The battery was fully charged. When I got up this morning the battery level was 37 percent. Sheesh. I think so far, this is the worst part of this phone. I hope they come up with an extended battery that isn't the size of and weigh as much as a car battery! But I think it will need one that size.
    dumb question due to my lack of knowledge about technology...would having a black background save any power? or would it make little to no difference on the screen power consumption?
    Quote Originally Posted by paigoomein View Post
    dumb question due to my lack of knowledge about technology...would having a black background save any power? or would it make little to no difference on the screen power consumption?
    It's actually an interesting question...

I doubt it...but would love someone with more tech knowledge to drop some info...

Even when dimmed.
    Whereas power hungry plasmas consume less power when dimmed.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1PTUser View Post
    Registry Hacks:
    The link has the hacks and a link to a CAB file that will do all the hacks for you. Also, remember to wait 2-3 minutes after the registry hack and then do a soft reset to ensure the changes "stick". HTH
    I really need an update from Palm thats a no brainer.
    Im a total computer *****.Can someone tell me where the registry is that they are modifying?
    I looked at the Windows files but didnt recognize anything like a registry.
    Also if thats too tough for a noob,what exactly do I do with the cab file?
    I Activesynced a setup file and one called perform~ into "my documents"
    Tried to open them there .The setup has a bunch of programing mumbo jumbo in it.Do I need to place it somewhere?
    The perform~ file has an error message when I try to open that.

Thanks in advance
    What's faster, charging on AC, in the car, or from computer? If you can list them in order that would be great.