Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    My ancient plantronics m2500 is working like a champ. Great range, call quality and full voice command support.
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    I wonder if there might different software versions floating around.... I would imagine not, but who knows. Could it be headset hardware related???
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by robber View Post
    My ancient plantronics m2500 is working like a champ. Great range, call quality and full voice command support.
    Robber, you're able to initiate voice command by pushing your headset button and then speaking into the bt headset mic and NOT the 800w's mic?? Please confirm. I've been able to initiate the software with several headsets. Only in one scenario would a command be executed and that was when it was processed through the 800w's mic.
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    I'm skeptical - the most common issue with the treos is that people do the test with the treo sitting in front of them and it "appears to work". A lot more people seem to have said "it doesn't work" than "it does work" - and one of the latter issued a correction later to indicate that it doesn't work.

One remote, but distinct, possibility is that selecting "handsfree" vs "headset" profile in the settings for your headset might make a difference. (I assume by default it selects both, as my Apache with 6.1 does when I pair with a headset). Any advanced BT testers want to give that a shot? This is further confounded by WM6.1's "auto-pair" system, which conveniently removes some of the complexity of the pairing process but also takes away some of the possible customizations. I believe it auto-selects every profile the remote device supports. But maybe the "handsfree" profile works with VC and the "headset" profile does not. A long shot, definitely, but...
    I bought TomTom Go 700 around or before when I bought Treo 650. Since then I had Treo 700P, Treo 755P but not a single time I was able to sync phone with my TomTom Go 700. Yesterday I just tried to pair TomTom Go 700 with my treo 800w and found that not only can I use internal microphone (bluetooth speakerphone yayyyy!!!) I was able to sync all my phone book and recent called numbers. I was really surprised because I just gave up on TomTom Go 700 phone features. Now if I could have DUN networking work with my treo .
    Technological superiority has never won a product battle. If that were the case we would all be flying in supersonic Concordes and using Apple computers.

The key to winning the battle is a combination of price, convenience, marketing, sound business model and a bit of luck.
  6. dwg
    Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
    Responding to my own query. I purchased the 800w yesterday and have been using the Jabra BT8040 for a couple weeks now, first on 700wx->700wx (Ebag 6.0) -> 800w.

BT was a significant PITA for me on the 700wx and I am pleased to say that so far with the 800w.... it just works!

- no 'drop-outs' so far. this is where the headset loses it's connection to the phone. For me it sometimes required disabling/enabling BT or a soft reset and on/off on the BT headset
    - no intermittent bad call quality. Previously I felt that I had about a 33% chance of making/receiving a call with my headset and hearing crackly choppy sounds or the person on the other end complained that they could not hear me well. So far it has been a very consistent experience. All calls have been 'pretty good' with the 8040.
    - A2DP on the 8040 was hit or miss with the 700wx. Sometimes I would be connected with hands-free profile but A2DP sounds would still go through speaker. I have not had any problem with this yet with the 800w.
    - Range - I am not a stickler on range because I am normally close to the phone. But, I had my phone downstairs on a charger and was bathing a child upstairs... fully 50 ft away, through walls, and I'll be darned if I didn't take a call at that distance. Of course I could only hear bits and pieces but I was amazed that anything came through. Maybe an isolated event... but wow!
    - Reconnecting - I can walk out of range and when I return it seems to reconnect up consistently.
    - A2DP - To me this is a really cool feature and I believe having this on a single earpiece BT device is unique to the BT8040. Walking down the hall getting a message in my ear 'New message from TreoCentral.com...' without having to look at my phone, listening to a ballgame on mlb.mlb.com, podcasts, you name it. I even use it for music if I am not feeling picky. Someone sends me a youtube video and I can just pull it up on my phone without fear that others in the office will wonder what I am doing. Nice.
    - Volume - The BT8040 is a too quiet for me on my end, especially in loud areas or when driving. No complaints from listeners though. Others on this forum have said the 8040 is plenty loud. I might have considered switching to Jawbone II or something else for better volume but the A2DP is just too cool for me.

Incidentally, the BT8040 is on sale locally at Best Buy for 49.99. I paid 79.99 or something like that.

This has already justified the purchase price of the 800w. Disappointing that it was so miserable on the 700wx for me, but I am moving on happy.
  7. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Discovery 640 works quite well.
    Dwg, I have the BT 8040 and for some reason I am having a hard time using it with A2DP. It is paired and works well to pick up a call when initiated from the handset. Are you able to initiate a call from the 8040 and voice dial it? If so would you mind sharing any settings that I need to make?
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    I am having a problem with the phone constantly resetting the volume on the headset to mid-range.... even after I put to max on the call before.... really annoying
    Follow me on Twitter : MrKal_El
    Global Posts
    146 Global Posts
    BT with my nxZen 6000 great on my Touch and Razr2. Mediocre on my 800w. Quite disappointing.
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrkalel View Post
    I am having a problem with the phone constantly resetting the volume on the headset to mid-range.... even after I put to max on the call before.... really annoying
    Having the same issue w/ a Jabra unit.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Can someone help me please? I feel like I've tried everything, but I can't get my Motorola H700 to work with my 800W. The main thing that I'm worried about is that it never asks me for the password. I think that might be why, but I haven't found a way to type in 0000. I can get it to pair and can checkmark the handsfree box, and can even get the headphones icon to come on when making a call. When that happens I either hear the person for 1/2 a second and then silence or just silence the whole time on both ends. Any ideas?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123