Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. aph
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    Where's the 800w ROM dump and what's the process of replacing files in the 96 dpi resource cab with cabs from the ROM dump?
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aph View Post
    Where's the 800w ROM dump and what's the process of replacing files in the 96 dpi resource cab with cabs from the ROM dump?
    You will have to dump it yourself.... there is a howto earlier on in the thread:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...8&postcount=25

and steps for using that stuff here:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...9&postcount=47
    insol...how come when i click on the .reg file it doesnt create anything..it just up opens up the registry..

Edit: I got it working
    Last edited by chocmatic; 08/18/2008 at 12:52 AM.
    Global Posts
    170 Global Posts
    insol - I followed the instructions to a T twice, and still cannot get the DialLookup to show up. Do I have to replace any of the files with files from a 800w dump? or should it work without it?

RealVGA makes the screen the way that Palm should have had it out of the box. So much better with a higher resolution.

Thanks!

~J
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    I finally got around to following the directions, and I've got two items of quirkiness that I'm a little concerned about -- both are visible in the same screenshot:

1) Obviously, the dialpad is totally hosed.

2) The icons on the top bar are smashed together and don't look right -- seems fair, as they were evidently designed for the 800w's stock resolution. insol, I noticed that the icons look good in your screenshots -- maybe I missed something?

Having some stinking screen real estate back has been lovely, though.
    Global Posts
    170 Global Posts
    is there anyone that has gotten the Dial Lookup to display that could maybe lend a hand? I'm trying to decide on keeping this phone or not, my 30 day period is almost up, I'm pretty sure I'm keeping it now after using RealVGA but I really just wanted to get the Dial Lookup working to be sure.

Thanks,

~J
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NBAJ2K View Post
    insol - I followed the instructions to a T twice, and still cannot get the DialLookup to show up. Do I have to replace any of the files with files from a 800w dump? or should it work without it?

RealVGA makes the screen the way that Palm should have had it out of the box. So much better with a higher resolution.

Thanks!

~J
    It sounds like you have the "new" diallookup. That is the one that resizes itself improperly at 96DPI. You need to use the old WM5 one (you may need to search for this -- look at the notes in the howto for hints)... if you are using that one make sure that it is active (checked) in the today plug config.

Can you see them both -- the new diallookup and the diallookup_wm5 (assuming you followed the instructions), in the today plug config screen?
    Last edited by insol; 08/18/2008 at 11:13 PM.
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kalibar View Post
    I finally got around to following the directions, and I've got two items of quirkiness that I'm a little concerned about -- both are visible in the same screenshot:

1) Obviously, the dialpad is totally hosed.

2) The icons on the top bar are smashed together and don't look right -- seems fair, as they were evidently designed for the 800w's stock resolution. insol, I noticed that the icons look good in your screenshots -- maybe I missed something?

Having some stinking screen real estate back has been lovely, though.
    You may need to re-apply the 96DPI resource cab from RealVGA. It looks like you have a 128DPI resource dll. Just run the 96DPI resource cab again -- it is harmless if you have already done it once.

The dial pad is kinda screwed visually (I dont use it) -- However I have tried it and it works... it just looks like your screen shot.
    Global Posts
    170 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by insol View Post
    It sounds like you have the "new" diallookup. That is the one that resizes itself improperly at 96DPI. You need to use the old WM5 one (you may need to search for this -- look at the notes in the howto for hints)... if you are using that one make sure that it is active (checked) in the today plug config.

Can you see them both -- the new diallookup and the diallookup_wm5 (assuming you followed the instructions), in the today plug config screen?
    I'm wondering if somehow the file that I renamed according to your instructions is the wrong one.

I followed this part of your instructions, but am thinking maybe the files I have that I am renaming are incorrect.
    "8. On your desktop: extract the files from the testtodayplugin.cab file to a folder on your hard drive. Use winzip or something like that. Once the files are out, you need to identify which ones are the diallookupplugin and the palmutils dlls. You need both of these. Rename the diallookup dll to DialLookupPlugin_wm5.dll. This name needs to be the same as the registry file DLL entry that we put in the text file above."

The Diallookup file is originally named DIALLO~1.001 and the PalmUtils dll file is named PALMUT~1.002. I renamed them according to your instructions, maybe there is something wrong with the files?

The HOWTO that you are talking about in order to try to find the correct files, are you talking about this post? http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...9&postcount=47

I looked at my Today Items and I see a Dial Lookup and Active call, but do not see a Dial Lookup 5. When I go into the registry, under HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Today/Items I see a "Dial Lookup WM5" but under it I just see a (Default) value, I have tried rerunning the reg file a few times, it will create the folder but not put anything in it. I was sure to put the DialLookupPlugin_wm5.dll as well as palmutils.dll files in the Windows folder, so I'm not sure.

I really appreciate your help, thank you very much.

~J
    I'm wondering if somehow the file that I renamed according to your instructions is the wrong one.

I followed this part of your instructions, but am thinking maybe the files I have that I am renaming are incorrect.
    "8. On your desktop: extract the files from the testtodayplugin.cab file to a folder on your hard drive. Use winzip or something like that. Once the files are out, you need to identify which ones are the diallookupplugin and the palmutils dlls. You need both of these. Rename the diallookup dll to DialLookupPlugin_wm5.dll. This name needs to be the same as the registry file DLL entry that we put in the text file above."

The Diallookup file is originally named DIALLO~1.001 and the PalmUtils dll file is named PALMUT~1.002. I renamed them according to your instructions, maybe there is something wrong with the files?

The HOWTO that you are talking about in order to try to find the correct files, are you talking about this post? http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...9&postcount=47

I looked at my Today Items and I see a Dial Lookup and Active call, but do not see a Dial Lookup 5. When I go into the registry, under HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Today/Items I see a "Dial Lookup WM5" but under it I just see a (Default) value, I have tried rerunning the reg file a few times, it will create the folder but not put anything in it. I was sure to put the DialLookupPlugin_wm5.dll as well as palmutils.dll files in the Windows folder, so I'm not sure.

~J
    Wait until I release a new version then try this:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=170002
    Global Posts
    170 Global Posts
    So this includes the Lookup also? That would be great! I've been struggling to get this working.

I'd like to see if I can figure it out in the meantime still. When is your updated version supposed to come out?

Thanks,

~J
    So this includes the Lookup also? That would be great! I've been struggling to get this working.

I'd like to see if I can figure it out in the meantime still. When is your updated version supposed to come out?

Thanks,

~J
    Tonight. *crosses fingers*

I'm testing the installer now. If I can get it working in the next few minutes (before I leave from work).....
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts

~J
    May be moot now with Ebag's great work, but there are many corrupted diallookup and palmutils dlls floating around on the net. This is probably why you are having trouble. you may want to see if you can find another version.
    I picked up on your thread as I am a PALM OS User (Current 755p) and I've been waiting for a WM Treo that had a better Res that 240 x 240. So of course when I saw the 800w and saw the 320x320 I got excited. But after reding your post am I to understand that this is not exactly true ? Do you have to do something to the phone and apps to get this higher res. ??

Thanks....I appreciate any input - I really want a WM Phone - but I am spoiled by my current 320 x 320 resolution.
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bdamstar View Post
    I picked up on your thread as I am a PALM OS User (Current 755p) and I've been waiting for a WM Treo that had a better Res that 240 x 240. So of course when I saw the 800w and saw the 320x320 I got excited. But after reding your post am I to understand that this is not exactly true ? Do you have to do something to the phone and apps to get this higher res. ??

Thanks....I appreciate any input - I really want a WM Phone - but I am spoiled by my current 320 x 320 resolution.
    The 800 is 320x320. However the Dots Per Inch (DPI) are set to 128 by default. As such items on the screen are essentially "scaled" bigger. You might think of it as using 1.5 pixels to display what ordinarily would be 1 pixel (overly simplified example and it is not a 1.5 for 1 map -- this is just a non technical way of thinking about it).

The RealVGA hack changes the DPI to 96, effectively using what one would be used to seeing in terms of a resolution (using the simplified example, 1 pixel displays 1 pixel).

This url provides a decent (and more accurate) explanation of DPI
    http://www.scantips.com/no72dpi.html
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234